StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

2001 or 2010?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 

2001 or 2010?
83%
 83%  [ 10 ]
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:35 am   Post subject: 2001 or 2010? Reply with quote

I was going to add this in the movie pick one or the other thread - but I'd like to know how many (if any) preferred 2010 to 2001. My preference was definitely with 2010. I just thought it explained things in a way I could understand a lot better than 2001 did!

Also I saw it when I was probably about 11 or 12 so it had a pretty profound effect on me. Spoiler:
Particularly the scene where Bowman returns. I thought that was pretty scary. And then the scene at the start where Floyd listens to Bowman's 'My God it's full of stars' over and over again. Then the way the monoliths begin to smother Jupiter! I guess I was just captured by all the odd things that happened in the film.

Anyway, how about anyone else?
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd need a "none of the above" option, I think. The wife and I rented 2001 from Blockbuster when they had movies set aside in a special section that you were "guaranteed to love" or you got another movie free. We got a free movie the next day. We could never bring ourselves to try 2010.

jeff
sdg
Auroter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 13482

Auroter is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Auroter's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw 2010, but I really liked 2001. I suppose judging by your post, mellowman that I should take the time to go find it. Was it a sequel or um... what relation did it have specifically to the first film?
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Auroter - it followed on directly from the first film and tied lose ends...

Spoiler:
It explained why Hal malfunctioned more clearly, explained more of the significance of the monolith, revealed what happened to Bowman (at least in a sense), and basically did a bit more to put 2001 into context.

I have to say though that most people I know who have seen the film didn't think it was a patch in 2001. I thought it was miles better because it was a film with a clear beginning, middle and end to the storyline.

Having said that I've read all three books (including the the last one 2061) and thought 2001 was a much better book than film. Actually so was 2010! Laughing

And j2, I'd have edited the poll to add that option but I couldn't see a way? Oh, and by the way, what was the free film?
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

mellowman: You can't edit polls. Sorry.

Also, I can't remember the free film. Must have been a winner...

jeff
sdg
Canada TreeBob
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5527

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

While I liked them both, 2010 was far and away better than 2001. 2001 was just too artsy, but then that's Kubrick for you.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 12520

the_lake_effect is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View the_lake_effect's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Artsy is right. My favourite Kubrick-directed, and possibly one of the few movies I can tolerate, is Full Metal Jacket.

M-I-C... K-E-Y...

Stories are for children, skyscrapers, and anyone wishing to reach for the stars.

The truthiness shall set you free.
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought 2001 was the better film.

But 2010 was, by far and away, the more accessible of the two. It had a much more conventional narrative. But to be fair to 2001, 2010 had a much easier task. Instead of being faced with the unknown in the way that Bowman and Poole were in the original film, the characters in 2010 have the previous mission to talk about as they go about their business.

In a way, the characters in 2010 are representing the audience from 2001. The whole thing just confused the heck out of them and they set out to figure out just what the heck happened. That's why they're so much easier to identify with.
USA Obi-son
Captain
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i still need to read the books:(
Commander

Member#: 5527

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave What are you doing??
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 12750

Diane26 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Diane26's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

2001 was a very impressive film for me growing up. I love all the mystery and surreal beauty of the piece; the fact that I never quite get it, well that's part of its charm. I didnt care at all about Clarke's Sentinel book.

2010 sucks in my opinion.
Kaldur
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 2763

Kaldur is offline View user's profile Send private message Kaldur's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

for the movies? probably niether, unless 2010 was a lot less boring than 2001, as for the books, I would have to say both, since you need 2001 to understand 2010, but the story is not complete without 2010
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Mellowman - don't forget Arthur C. Clarke also wrote 3001. I read it years ago so I can't remember much about the story.

IMHO, 2001: A Space Odyssey is a masterpiece: ambitious, visionary, and profound.

I did not like 2010 at all because it was such an uninspiring and unmemorable genre film. Not surprising when the studio hired Peter Hyams as director. A real missed opportunity.

2001 will always hold a firm place in my Top 10 all time favourite films.
Ensign

Member#: 14314

paulw is offline View user's profile Send private message paulw's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw them both in their road show days. I like them both but 2001 had a slite edge. Maybe one day they will make 3001 rather than all the remake crap that that's beeing made now..

Paul W
USA Grenadier
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 14592

Grenadier is offline View user's profile Send private message View Grenadier's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSnowLeopard wrote:
Mellowman - don't forget Arthur C. Clarke also wrote 3001. I read it years ago so I can't remember much about the story.

Actually, there was also a 2061: Odyssey Three in between 2010 and 3001.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: