StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What book are you reading right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 52, 53, 54  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some great ideas for books here! I'll have to pick some of them up when I've exhaused my supply!

I have just finished reading Area 51 by Robert Doherty. Interesting take on UFOs in said area, if not a bit formulaic in places. But I'm now finally reading The Last Command by Timothy Zahn! Hooray!

But if you want some really involved and technoloigically written hard sci-fi then check out any of Alastair Reynolds awesome books, particularly Revelation Space.

Furyen, seeing as though you like historical-fiction have you read any of Christian Jacq's novels? In particular his Ramses series of which the first one is Ramses: Son of the Light. Great novels based on fact but obviously fleshed out. Really gives a sense of the mysticism of ancient Egypt.
USA Darth-bobba
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 12608

Darth-bobba is offline View user's profile Send private message View Darth-bobba's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Eggs and Ham. And I can't wait for the sequal!!! Razz Razz
Canada Arya
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8715

Arya is offline View user's profile Send private message View Arya's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth-bobba wrote:
Green Eggs and Ham. And I can't wait for the sequal!!! Razz Razz

Aren't we all! Actually, that was the first book I ever read Razz

Right now I am reading Principles of Human Physiology (2nd Edition) by William J. Germann and Cindy L. Stanfield...yay exam season....
Captain

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

You recommend it arya? Wink
Caliburn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished Da Vinci Code (yeah yeah hype, I know). It was okay-ish

No started reading Michael Crichton's Prey. I loved previous books of him. So lets see what he got in store for me now :-)
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently, I'm giving Tad Williams's Otherland a try.

Also waiting to She, by H Rider Haggard, to come in at the library.

I just finished reading a nonfiction book called "Fiasco" about 10 iconic Hollywood flops. I recommend it. You wouldn't believe where these people spend their money, and how much.
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:

Also waiting to She, by H Rider Haggard, to come in at the library.

Personally, I found She to be kind of hard to get into, which kind of surprised me because I liked several of his other books. But maybe you'll like it better.
AkwaTFanRoadie
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 10908

AkwaTFanRoadie is offline View user's profile Send private message AkwaTFanRoadie's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished The Princess Bride by William Goldman/S. Morgenstern not too long ago. It was completely BRILLIANT - I absolutely loved it! And, since William Goldman did the screenplay for the movie, the book and movie go together very well. It's amazing - you should definitely give it a try. Very Happy
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to my theatre class, I just finished reading the play The Enemy of the People and now I get to go see the play this weekend. The book isn't half bad, so it'll be intesting to see it acted out.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 11852

sunshinegirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View sunshinegirl's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="workervr"]I am reading The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. A little dry, but interesting. I would recommend it.

I loved that book.
Just finished Holy Blood, Holy Grail to compare it to the DaVinci Code.

Great thread idea!
FSkornia
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 8683

FSkornia is offline View user's profile Send private message FSkornia's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonatine: I love Le Carre. The Spy who Came in from the Cold is his most famous, but I enjoyed the books featuring George Smiley a lot more.

Mellowman: I just got into Alastair Reynolds (have read Revelation Space and Redemption Ark, Absolution Gap and Chasm City are sitting in the midst of my tower of books to read). If you want another absolutely wonderful hard sci-fi writer I highly recommend Peter F. Hamilton. He's easily become my favorite contemporary sci-fi writer.

Recently I've finished:
Cell by Stephen King - It's engaging enough, but no where near as good as some of his earlier stuff.
Finding Serenity - A collection of scholarly (and not so scholarly) essays written about Joss Whedon's Firefly series. The essays are incredibly well done, though since the book was published between the end of the series and before the release of the film, there are some interpretations which were made invalid by the information offered in Serenity

Currently reading Conquistador by S.M. Stirling which basically combines the alternate history genre with dimensional travel and set in the very near future. It's pretty good, but the author spends too much time on the mundane day-to-day activities, which keeps the plot moving rather slowly.

After that I have a stack of about 10 books to read (I love birthdays) which combine history (McCullough's 1776), hard science ficiton (Peter F Hamilton and Alastair Reynolds), high fantasy (Jordan and Greg Keyes), and biography (Frank McCourt).
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

FSkornia wrote:
Currently reading Conquistador by S.M. Stirling which basically combines the alternate history genre with dimensional travel and set in the very near future. It's pretty good, but the author spends too much time on the mundane day-to-day activities, which keeps the plot moving rather slowly.

Yeah, Stirling has a tendency to plod along a bit, but I definitely have enjoyed some of his books. If you like Conquistador, you might want to give The Peshawar Lancers a try.
USA rebeccabutterfly
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 3098

rebeccabutterfly is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website rebeccabutterfly's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna karenina, nine stories, franny and zooey, rich dad, poor dad.
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, finished Star Wars:The Last Command by Timothy Zahn, great book to finish off a great trilogy. How cool would it have been if they had made these into movies?

Just someting I found annoying though:

Spoiler:
...the way Zahn kept on making reference to things that had happened in the past to the characters. I can understand him making some referenceto the films, but it was like every chapter had someone remembering the battle of Yavin, or the last time Leia had trusted a smuggler he'd destroyed the death star for her or Luke losing his arm, or Lando rmemebering the empire invading Bespin etc... But Zahn never made reference to anything that could have happened in between times. It just made the books feel a bit 2-dimensional, as if the characters only existed in three films and his three books.

Any body else who read the trilogy think that? Or am I being pedantic?

FSkornia: I loved Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy, boy what an epic story that was - took me an absolute age to read them, felt like I was immersed in another universe for months, was really sad when they came to an end. Haven't read anything else of his yet though. Have you read Pandora's Star yet? That looks great too!

Anyone else finish books they mentioned here? Were they good?
USA sunshinegirl
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 11852

sunshinegirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View sunshinegirl's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started State of Fear by Michael Crichton, very good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 52, 53, 54  Next
Page 3 of 54

Jump to: