StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

All Time Romance Movie/s.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
UK Mroche70
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 12437

Mroche70 is offline View user's profile Send private message Mroche70's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:30 am   Post subject: Cinema Paradiso..... Reply with quote

Yes, you are right, we do prefer watching movies in english but then every country would prefer their own language while watching movies rather than having to take your eyes off the action to read subtitles..... I personally like movies made outside the UK and having to read english subtitles too but just not that often.....
Norway Sensei
Commander
Commander

Member#: 12

Sensei is offline View user's profile Send private message View Sensei's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Twopop wrote:
Is there someone who can tell us more?

Sure, but that will completely ruin watching the directors cut.

If you dont mind, read on...

Spoiler:
When the adult Toto goes back to Sicily for his old friends (Alfredo) funeral he sees a girl who looks exactly like the young Elene he was in love with. He follows her home and finds out she is the daughter of Elena. She is now married to his old friend who had that birth mark on his head (I think his name was Bocca...). In a very emotional scene he hooks up with Elena who explains why she never showed up. Her parents didn't want her seeing Toto and were moving from Sicily. Her father let her say goodbye to Toto, but he wasn't there. So she did actually show up, but was early. She couldn't wait because of her father, but she talked to Alfredo who said he would tell Toto about the situation. He never did. Elena kinda knew this so she secretly put a note on the wall (Alfredo was blind so he didn't know), but Toto had accidentally put another note over that one so he never saw it. After speaking with Elena he goes back to the old dusty cinema and finds the note. <Start crying here>

Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:45 am   Post subject: Re: Cinema Paradiso..... Reply with quote

Mroche70 wrote:
Yes, you are right, we do prefer watching movies in english but then every country would prefer their own language while watching movies rather than having to take your eyes off the action to read subtitles..... I personally like movies made outside the UK and having to read english subtitles too but just not that often.....

Well, English is the primary language here in Toronto, but I don't know if it makes that much difference to me whether or not a movie is in English or not. I just want it to be a good story.

Still, I have to acknowledge that at least some Canadians won't watch subtitled films... I know that from a job I had years ago at a movie theatre. People actually demanded their money back because they hadn't realized that the movie wasn't in English.
Diane26
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 12750

Diane26 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Diane26's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Love Actually is probably my favorite romantic movie, perhaps because it can be downright funny, sexual, serious, sad, its all so wonderfully scripted and performed and it speaks the truth (plus it has a charming Craig Armstrong score).

I've met many people who just wont watch subtitled films, which to me seems rather pathetic and sad but it's their loss. My dad introduced me to foreign-language movies from a very young age, so Im pretty much used to them.

Since I got here in Mexico I've discovered the beauty of having great friends who just dont care about the language, we just want to experience good stories. If you ever watch just about anything by Wim Wenders (mostly his later works), youll realize the wonderful thing about them: they can switch languages in a split second, they can speak German then switch to French, English, Russian... There are no barriers, no borders. Long live multicultural speech!

Oh and the extended Cinema Paradiso is much more of a personal love story, whether the earlier release was more about love of cinema. Both are wonderful.

haha sorry, I got over-excited with the post. Smile
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane26 wrote:
Love Actually is probably my favorite romantic movie, perhaps because it can be downright funny, sexual, serious, sad, its all so wonderfully scripted and performed and it speaks the truth (plus it has a charming Craig Armstrong score).

I completely agree with that... a lot of people I know didn't like Love Actually (in fact, a few friends really hate it), but I found it to be one of the most purely enjoyable films I've seen over the past few years.

Diane26 wrote:
Oh and the extended Cinema Paradiso is much more of a personal love story, whether the earlier release was more about love of cinema. Both are wonderful.

Interesting. Now I'm really going to have to find myself a copy of the director's cut. I see what you mean about the earlier version, though. In a lot of ways the boy-girl love story plays a secondary role to the love of cinema story.
UK Mroche70
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 12437

Mroche70 is offline View user's profile Send private message Mroche70's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:16 pm   Post subject: Love Actually..... Reply with quote

Love Actually is a wonderful movie too, i hope to see it again one day.....

Last edited by Mroche70 on Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sweden phireangel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13973

phireangel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View phireangel's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a really good italian-teacher in an eveningclass I took some years ago, and he showed us the very beautiful film "Cinema Paradiso" I also like "La Vita è bella" in eng I think its Life is wonderful(?)(not only romantic though)
AND of course one of my favorites are "City of Angels" with Meg Ryan, sooo touchy and romantic!

And the most hurting romantic movies ever, must be "The Bridges Over Madison County"
That hurts for weeks after seeing it... dont see it if you feel week.. and be sure of having tissues on hand

Last edited by phireangel on Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, if you guys like Italian love stories, Il Postino is another good one.
arlingirl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 10439

arlingirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website arlingirl's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Love Actually:

Spoiler:
When Jaime and Aurelia get together I burst into tears. I mean, it's literally like, dry heaving. Sexy, eh?
I could watch this movie over & over & over. And I have. Wink

Tristan & Isolde:

New fave & James Franco is d@mn sexy. I don't care what you guys say. He's not that miscast. Give the guy a break.

The Notebook:

Phwarg! Sad & romantic?!? Spoiler:
I want to die by my lover's side.
I'm weird...I make no apologies.

Pride & Prejudice (2005)
Moulin Rouge
POTO Spoiler:
disfigured love woot!

It could go on & on...

http://www.bellereveportraitdesign.com
Diane26
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 12750

Diane26 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Diane26's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

arlin, you're not weird by any means. And if you are, then we both are. Wink
arlingirl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 10439

arlingirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website arlingirl's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane26 wrote:
arlin, you're not weird by any means. And if you are, then we both are. Wink

HAHA...that makes me feel so much better. Laughing
USA vader_76
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 10227

vader_76 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View vader_76's Favorites
AIM Address
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

So, based on this thread (which I very much enjoy reading) I rented Cinema Paradiso for my wife and I to watch. IMO I did not think it was one of the best romantic movies of all times. I did think it was a great movie - I really enjoyed the story, the drama, the humor and the soundtrack.

Spoiler:
Coming from a small town myself, I could relate to much of the emotion and conflict that the movie intended.

Didn't mind the subtitles at all.

So that's my opinion on that. As far as which movie I'd choose as one of the most romantic of all times... I'm still thinking on it...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: