StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

AAC streaming?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SpacialAudio has delayed the release of the aacPlus encoder to the end of February (which is right about now) from December '05.

The good news is though is we're now encoding all of our source files into Lossless WMA. Some of the old stuff will be re-encoded too as time permits.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
philk
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 6489

philk is offline View user's profile Send private message philk's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! Lossless WMA is fine with me Smile Bring it on!
Zoidburg
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 1448

Zoidburg is offline View user's profile Send private message Zoidburg's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

philk wrote:
Great news! Lossless WMA is fine with me Smile Bring it on!

Haha! He's talking about the sources of course. Re-ripping the original CD's to a lossless format (WMA) for streaming to a lossy one (mp3pro, ogg, aacplus, etc). Transcoding from one lossy source to another would just sound terribly bad. Confused

I guess I better put my money where my mouth is. I think I recall mentioning at one point that I would probably become a permanent contributer here if the quality ever improved, and I see that it has. Kudos for finally getting AACplus up and running. I was here only a few days ago actually and didn't see AACplus as an option at that time. Then I went to HydrogenAudio today to see what was new since I hadn't been there for quite a while as well. I came across the following which is why I came over here and logged in just now:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=44105

I was hoping this might help the AACplus movement along a little bit, but it's obvious it doesn't need any more involvement from my end hehe. Now to listen in more often and enjoy. It's sounding quite good so far I have to say, much better than that mp3Pro ever did IMHO. Again, you have my gratitude. Cool
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks philk and Zoidburg. I'm glad you can appreciate the efforts going into having a lossless source.

I tried 24k and 48k aacPlus but I wasn't that impressed. I was hoping to save some money in bandwidth costs but at least the sound quality is significantly better.

What really is going to give aacPlus a boost is it is now a part of SAM 4.0.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Zoidburg
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 1448

Zoidburg is offline View user's profile Send private message Zoidburg's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:
Thanks philk and Zoidburg. I'm glad you can appreciate the efforts going into having a lossless source.

I tried 24k and 48k aacPlus but I wasn't that impressed. I was hoping to save some money in bandwidth costs but at least the sound quality is significantly better.

What really is going to give aacPlus a boost is it is now a part of SAM 4.0.

Regarding 48k, that's too bad to hear. But at least the audio quality is noticeably better over mp3pro, clearly a dead end format (which AAC is partially based on I think). Using 48k AACplus successfully really depends on the musical style, at least based on my experience from listening to the various stations out there. Pop music, for example, isn't too bad. Same with techno style stuff. Classical and movie music seems to suffer the worst though when it comes to audible compression artifacts with lossy codecs. At least the WMA lossless files, and I truly do appreciate the amount of work involved in this (I have a rather large collection I'm about to convert too) shouldn't take up too much hard drive space since orchestral music tends to compress the best out of all the musical styles. Who knows, maybe the AAC codec in the SAM software will improve with some fine tuning over time as well. Just look at LAME and Vorbis. There is always room for improvement, especially with a new codec.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: