StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

American Idol Season 5 (2006)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA california_carl
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 9942

california_carl is offline View user's profile Send private message california_carl's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:40 pm   Post subject: American Idol Season 5 (2006) Reply with quote

OK, I will admit it. I am unabashedly an American Idol fan. I haven't gone crazy buying American Idol CDs (bought one Carrie Underwood and one Compilation), but I do watch the show almost religiously since Season 2. I don't even care for pop music, but I like the root and cheer for certain contestants (and alternatively boo and not root for others). Although I don't necessarily approve of how some contestants get treated by the judge or present themselves (especially in the earlier rounds with all the crazy untalented people), it is also one of the few shows that my wife and I let my young son watch that isn't necessarily directed at children. So, I am curious if you watch it and with how much interest. If you do watch it, do you have any favorites of those who made the top 24 (12 guys and 12 gals). My wife and I like the bluesy guy with the grey hair and also the blonde girl country girl (along with some others). Don't know their names yet but will if they make the top 12.
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've watched every season of American Idol except this one. Used to own the 1st Kelly Clarkson cd but sold it. Went to a Clay Aiken Christmas Concert, which was almost like a community theater production since his high school music teacher was one of the stars, and he invited local community theater people from every tour stop to appear as the chorus. Once the top 12 start singing, I'll probably watch. I'll let you know my favorites later.
Canada TreeBob
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5527

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the spazzy grey haired guy as well. For girls I like the big black girl. She has a big powerful voice. I gues i will learn there names in a few weeks :0
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got serious about watching and this season seems pretty weak. My favorites are Kellie Pickler and Mandisa, although Taylor Hicks (grey haired guy) and Chris Daughtry (bald rocker) aren't too bad. I wish Kellie didn't leave such a ditzy impression on me, but she can sing country well.
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:50 pm   Post subject: Re: American Idol Season 5 (2006) Reply with quote

california_carl wrote:
I don't necessarily approve of how some contestants get treated by the judge or present themselves (especially in the earlier rounds with all the crazy untalented people)

I'm glad to hear that the US version has the same crazy "of course I can sing" people as the UK version!
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

zirael wrote:
Taylor Hicks (grey haired guy) and Chris Daughtry (bald rocker) aren't too bad.

So which one are you rooting for now, Zir?

Questions for all AI fans: Have you ever called in to vote? Is it hard to get thru? What do you hear when you do?
Canada TreeBob
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5527

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote on the Canadian edition. A recorded message and you hang up Smile
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 10439

arlingirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website arlingirl's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to admit that I vote for it weekly, but I'm not a psycho about it or anything.

I pretty much consistantly vote for Chris Daughtry & Taylor Hicks. I'm pretty sure Chris will win, but I've been wrong in the past.

Anywho...I think America is raising a bunch of kids who are way overconfident and I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing. I've had students tell me they're going to audition for AI when they're old enough and they're tone deaf! However, mommy & daddy have told them "oh you're so goooood" for so long that they are disillusioned and...yeah.

What do you guys think?

http://www.bellereveportraitdesign.com
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The opinions I have about the current youth would fill a whole thread, if not a whole site. I think you're right.

jeff
sdg

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

arlingirl wrote:
I think America is raising a bunch of kids who are way overconfident ... mommy & daddy have told them "oh you're so goooood" for so long that they are disillusioned

j2brown wrote:
The opinions I have about the current youth would fill a whole thread, if not a whole site. I think you're right.

I couldn't agree with you two more.

Imho we have gone way overboard with complimenting our children. And don't even get me started on the whole competition thing in America. The prevailing feeling that you can never come in 2nd, admit to being wrong or not know the answer, or be culpable is making for a society built on sand.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget kids, the best way to succeed is to stab your opponents in the back and do whatever it takes to claw your way up. Seems to work on TV, anyway.

jeff
sdg

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

... And now back to our regularly scheduled program "American Idollllllll". Smile
arlingirl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 10439

arlingirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website arlingirl's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry...I got us off topic. Embarassed

http://www.bellereveportraitdesign.com
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pulling for Elliot since he's a fellow Richmonder, he's sort of the underdog and I think he will have the hardest time out of the final four at getting a contract.

I really like ALL four of the last contestents though. I think the right ones made it this year unlike years in the past. I hope they all become successful.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a newbie to American Idol, so it's really fun to hear about everyone's favorites, and how things work on the show.

A friend of mine likes Chris the best, with Taylor a close second. However, she doesn't want them to win so they'll be free to pursue their careers with contracts on their own terms. She thinks Katharine will be helped the most with the AI contract - as far as her singing career goes.

On another note, I heard Billy Joel on the radio this morning criticizing Amer. Idol saying (paraphrasing) "it's only about singing - you have to be able to do more than that to be successful." (The DJ laughed and said "What about Frank Sinatra?")

Here in Portland we are lucky to be able to hear a Q&A session about Tuesday night's show every Wedneday morning between our local DJs (KPAM) and Michael Orland, AI's pianist & music director. He says that many of the contestants are fabulous musicians but they are not allowed to accompany their own songs on the show. Some of them get around that a little by bringing accompanists on stage with them. That's a very cool touch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: