StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

The Rise and Fall of FM Rock Radio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Streaming
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Sound_Track
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 14512

Sound_Track is offline View user's profile Send private message Sound_Track's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:38 pm   Post subject: The Rise and Fall of FM Rock Radio Reply with quote

It's always good to reveal how FM Radio has mutated into merely a means to deliver crass advertising. Once, not too long ago, there was a cultural "Golden Age" of great Music played on FM radio stations, when DJs chose the music solely based on what was cool. Period. Now that may have also involved listener suggestions. But, it was totally an alternative to the crass and commercial "Top 40" of AM.

But, the interests of the Corporations that now own these "souless" music station empires, are what our Federal Media Laws cater to, and not, to serve the public -- unless by public -- you mean "public corporations".....

Yes, there are now many more "flavors" of music being broadcast across the land than there were before ..... but it's the same bland story regardless..... tired, repetitive playlists, where the expertise is not playing great music from the wonderful wealth of songs on record, but to the contrary, the expertise lies in jingles, and promotions, and wise-cracks.

These tired, narrow playlists are just the delivery systems for as much of the crass advertising that these media moguls can possibly cram down your throats....

Our Brave New World.......

Just look at what happened to MTV. It's no longer about the Music.

I am a Rock Music lover. But 95% of what is played on FM "Classic Rock" stations makes me sick. I want our Federal Media Laws changed to allow great music to be once again played on local car radios. I know about XM.... but all that segmentation was never what I was looking for. Just cool music, with a cool DJ (they --do not-- have to famous -- ) from a variety of groups. All the time.

Let the Masses have their lowest common denominator.... but when Capitalism goes so astray as to not have room for great music with messages, etc on local radio.... then, I say Big Brother is defacto HERE ! !

Here's a link to a Washington Monthly Review of the book FM:
The Rise and Fall of Rock Radio

by Richard Neer

Last edited by Sound_Track on Fri May 26, 2006 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this Sound_Track!

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA Obi-son
Captain
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Sound_track, H*ll yeah! this is why i don't listen to the radio any more. It's just manufactured crap music. with SST and Death.FM. (lol shameless marketing on my part Very Happy Wink ) I have what I love to listen too. not that i've been drooling over the VH1 special Heavy: the story of Metal. Oh yes. too bad people now can't watch this and see how real freaking music should be like.

Obi's rant is brought to you by Eat This Productions.
Warrning this rant may cause irreversible kidney and liver damage.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10545

Morpheus is offline View user's profile Send private message Morpheus's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW.....this is quite something. The last post on this thread was in 2002!!! Shocked

(apart from Obi's recent post obviously)

Morph
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Morpheus wrote:
WOW.....this is quite something. The last post on this thread was in 2002!!! Shocked

(apart from Obi's recent post obviously)

Morph

Shocked

I want what you're smoking morph! Are you sure you weren't looking at Jeric's join date? Wink

Interesting article Sound_track. I haven't listened to our local radio station in quite some time. Mostly because I heard the same songs over and over (the playlist cycle is about 3 hours) and because of the overplaying of Led Zepplin and Metalica. That's not to say that I don't like or listen to these groups, I just want something different from time to time.

On the flip side though, there is a classic rock station (KSAN) in San Francisco that promises a no-repeat playlist during a 24 hr period and they deliver. Smile I've found I listen to them more than the "new" rock stations. And you can listen to them online Wink

death.fm is also a wonderful alternative. *shameless marketing* Oww... my liver!! Crying or Very sad
Morpheus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10545

Morpheus is offline View user's profile Send private message Morpheus's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah.....that was JERIC'S join date!!! LOL!!!
Lieutenant

Member#: 14512

Sound_Track is offline View user's profile Send private message Sound_Track's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article Sound_Track. I haven't listened to our local radio station in quite some time.

On the flip side though, there is a classic rock station (KSAN) in San Francisco that promises a no-repeat playlist during a 24 hr period and they deliver. Smile I've found I listen to them more than the "new" rock stations. And you can listen to them online Wink
quote]

That's great for you out on the West Coast.... But here in the Dallas area, we have a "Bone" station sa well, but they are very much a "Classic Rock" station, and not worth listening to at all.

As much as Ienjoy good music online, it's when I'm drving in the car, that I enjoy great music the most. Sometimes I cue up a song. But there is also great satisfaction in hearing something on the local radio that I really like, and to know that others are out there in my locale rocking out to the same great tunes.

Unfortunately.... this is a very rare occassion, beacuse our Rock stations are playing the same old songs. Again, and again, and again. And there's NO joy in that for this MUisc Lover ! ! !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Streaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: