StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Da Vinci Code music - not the killing - is too scary for...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:56 am   Post subject: Da Vinci Code music - not the killing - is too scary for... Reply with quote

Da Vinci Code music - not the killing - is too scary for children, say censors
By Chris Hastings, Arts and Media Editor
(Filed: 07/05/2006)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/05/07/ncode07.xml

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.

Last edited by JERIC on Sun May 21, 2006 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the head's up JERIC. I had planned on buying this one, but I may have to play it when my daughter's not around.
Cadet 1

Member#: 14566

Yujiro is offline View user's profile Send private message Yujiro's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you serious?
I watched the movie, and, yes, it's scaring, not only because of the pictures but also the music, of course.
But actually just listening to the music doesn't raise the same tension than you get while watching the pictures that belong to it...
Denmark Armand
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 7352

Armand is offline View user's profile Send private message Armand's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Interresting, but also a bit odd.. I mean, if kids don't see the movie why should they get the st?
And it would be good to know if the music seemed scarry to people/kids if they hadn't seen or heard about the movie at all...

Oh, and does that mean that there are two soundtracks?

- Ninomiya Kazunari
(from the song Niji/Rainbow)
Caliburn

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy kids gonna love End of Days :-)
Diane26
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 12750

Diane26 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Diane26's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

the article is completely misleading. What the BBFC found as too intense was the score mix, not the actual music.
Denmark Armand
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 7352

Armand is offline View user's profile Send private message Armand's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

What do they mean by score mix then??

- Ninomiya Kazunari
(from the song Niji/Rainbow)
Diane26
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 12750

Diane26 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Diane26's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

score mix refers to the actual recording levels. The [dumb] reasoning behind the DaVinci Code issue is the way the sound design works in the movie, with some murders accentuated by a very high sound mix, which apparently makes the murders seem all the more intense.

"A Puritan is a person who is deathly afraid that someone, somewhere, is having a good time."
-- H.L. Mencken
Morpheus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10545

Morpheus is offline View user's profile Send private message Morpheus's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

That is such a load of CR@P!!!
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Morpheus wrote:
That is such a load of CR@P!!!

Absolutely. I mean, why all this big "O MY GOD, THIS IS A SACRILEG/UNHOLY etc"-nonsense?
It's just entertainment, for heavens sake!

I've never read the book, but I watched the movie a few days ago.
And I found it was okay, good entertainment.
As long as you are aware that all of this IS fiction,
you can get your fun out of it.

And now someone comes up with the opinion "Music is TOO scary for Kids"... (perhaps it also is connected to this certain film?)
As a musician myself I just get mad about such thoughtless comments. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I mean, you also could be intimitated by "Air Force One" as well because it sounds so patriotic...

Certain films are made for a mature audience, especially the thriller/horror and the splatter genre. If you like them or not, is your own free decision.

Also usually no kid below a certain age is supposed to watch them (which also happens because they WANT to watch such films, and then show me how to prevent them from doing that... I also was one of those youngsters once).

AND: Also for those films, music is necessary that reflects the emotional aspect of the story. So they HAVE to frighten/scare etc. you, that's actually the main purpose of it.
The same usually also for the opera, ballet, plays etc.

And for the children... instead of keeping everything away from them - how about talking to them about it????
I mean that's the perfect opportunity to help them getting their own opinions, ideas and points... and decisions!!!
I can't see why everyone seems to be afraid of the fact the kids might want to know more about something we probably think it's too early for them.
Normally the child will know by the time when it's the perfect moment to learn more...
or how did mankind survive before the age of "censorship"??? Rolling Eyes

The idea that we're dealing here with a "MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING"-situation, to quote old William S., comes more and more into my mind.

-edit- I didn't mean to offend anyone or tell a parent how to raise their child.
And of course each child is different, like the parents. Wink

Last edited by bpewien on Thu May 25, 2006 9:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to defend myself. My daughter loves classical music and soundtracks, but we still can't play Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D Minor. It scares her because it's so intense. Now given she's only 4 years old, but still, even though I've tried talking to her about it, it's still scary. I've seen the movie and thought the score was awesome, but I'm not sure she's quite ready to hear it.
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the censors said the music itself was too scary. Just the music in the context of the film. Which makes sense. And it's their job. The score itself, on your CD player at home, may not scare anyone.

My husband and I were both scared of the Empire Strikes Back when we were kids. (Favorite movie for both of us now, of course.) I didn't understand what was going on, and the torture and carbonite scenes were too much for me. But for my husband, the noise and the music scared him. The movie was "too loud."

Again, I don't think anyone is saying the music is too scary, or that music is scary. But remember, children were not allowed to listen to Beethoven sonatas in the 19th century, because they were too erotic.

I confess I don't know how the certificate system works. Does this bar anyone under 12 from seeing the film, or can they go with parents?
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Children under 13 years of age can go and see The Da Vinci Code with a parent or someone that is over 18 years of age. There wasn't a huge turnout at the showing I went to, but there's always someone bringing their little ones to the PG-13/Rated R films. Rolling Eyes
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: