StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What did you just watch? with mini review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I also saw MI:3 this weekend, and I enjoyed it quite a lot. Definitely better than the second one. My order of favourites would go 1, 3, and then 2. I still say that these movies are in violation of the original spirit of the show, which was a true team effort, instead of a continuing glorification of his highness, Lord Cruise.

But aside from that, this film was an engaging, high tempo piece of work, and probably deserves to be one of the summer's biggest blockbusters.
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurr78 wrote:
I also saw MI:3 this weekend, and I enjoyed it quite a lot. Definitely better than the second one. My order of favourites would go 1, 3, and then 2. I still say that these movies are in violation of the original spirit of the show, which was a true team effort, instead of a continuing glorification of his highness, Lord Cruise.

But aside from that, this film was an engaging, high tempo piece of work, and probably deserves to be one of the summer's biggest blockbusters.

I agree that MI:3 was better than 2, however the storylines are just not that great. Of course they have to keep staring that Wacko Cruise in them. Rolling Eyes Oh well, at least my husband didn't fall asleep during this one(he did in MI:2) Razz
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

My Summer Of Love (2004)
A somewhat dispiriting story about two teenage girls living in a Yorkshire village who become friends during a summer holiday. When their friendship becomes a physical relationship, the film explores how the need for love and faith can lead to obsession and delusion. Despite the sunny title, this movie is a dark tale told in such a languorous style it left me feeling remote from the drama unfolding on screen. Some interesting ideas to think about, but it lacked an emotional hook that would have given it more resonance. 5/10
(For a darker and more disturbing film about this subject, rent Enduring Love- starring the next James Bond, Daniel Craig). 7/10

Pride & Prejudice (2005)
Here is a love story with an altogether different kind of delusion: the happy ending. I usually steer clear of romantic films, particularly period romances. I am far too skeptical to accept the notion that true love must inexorably win out no matter the obstacles thrown in its path. I like that line from Mr & Mrs Smith: happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet. But I digress. So here I am watching this movie and something strange happens. From the opening shot of the sun rising above the English countryside with the lovely score by Dario Marianelli, I was completely, and unexpectedly, captivated by this film. Beautifully crafted with a cast of characters full of spirit and humanity. By the end, when Mr Darcy strides heroically toward Ms Bennet, I could believe those who are true and good deserve to find love and happiness, even in an intelligent and witty romance such as this. For two hours at least, this enchanting film won over my cynical heart. 8/10
Lieutenant Commander

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sea Inside (2004)
This movie is based on the true story of Spaniard Ramon Sampedro, a quadriplegic after a diving accident, who fought a 30-year campaign to win the right to end his own life. It is directed by Alejandro Amenabar (The Others) and stars Javier Bardem (Before Night Falls). The movie plays advocate to all the differing viewpoints on euthanasia, but the movie never loses sight of the emotional impact such a decision has on his family and friends while the moral and legal issues are debated. I was impressed by how the movie conveyed the state of mind of Ramon. He is neither depressed nor suffers pain and the script does not dwell on the indignities suffered while he is bedridden and wholly dependent on others. Ramon is a charming and intelligent man who makes a coherent argument for wanting to die. But his frustration at the physical mobility he has lost, which can only be regained in his imagination, are conveyed in fantasy sequences which give the film a visual poetry that is both poignant and beautiful to experience. Even more effective is how the lives of those around him are shown being lived with great richness and fervour, which Ramon acknowledges and even revels in, and the movie makes an eloquent statement on the joys of living for those who choose to embrace it. That Ramon cannot do this is what makes this story so tragic. The Sea Inside handles both sides of this issue with such compassion and grace, by the end I found it surprisingly life-affirming. 8/10
Commander

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

We went and saw The Da Vinci Code on Friday night. While I realize there's a huge religious controversy revolving around this movie, it was really entertaining! I was glued to the screen the whole way through. Tom Hanks, as always, did a phenominal job, even though he needs a hair cut Confused Ian McKellan was awesome!! Can't wait until next Friday to see him as Magneto again! Very Happy Hans Zimmer score was ideal for the movie. They couldn't have chosen a better composer. It's definently a movie I plan on owning.

I have yet to read the books(Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code), but I plan on reading them soon. It would be nice to see what kind've differences there are between the books and movie.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 5408

Dufresne is offline View user's profile Send private message Dufresne's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad idea for a thread Natedogg. TheSnowLeopard is a very thorough reviewer as well! Mrs. Dufresne and I got a sitter this weekend and broke out to see Poseidon. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409182/
Pretty good in my opinion, special effects were awesome and even frightening at times. Pretty good, but not great or fantastic. Director Wolfgang Petersen did just enough character development to make you interested in what happens to these people. Any less, and you would have no connection, any more, and it's another Pearl Harbor.

Josh Lucas, the action star of tommorow and Kurt Russell, the action star of yesterday do admirable jobs. My "there's-no-way-that-could-happen" alarm went off quite a few times, but who cares-movies are escapes from reality after all.
Klaus Badelt's score has some thrilling moments, but doesn't sound like a classic or a top 25 from what I heard in the movie, and what I've requested on SST. It does the job in the suspensefull and action sequences though.

Overall, a good movie, not great, but entertaining. I say go see it if action/disaster is your thing.
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Poseidon recently as well. It certainly does its job as an action/disaster type flick, although it's not a great movie. But really, I wasn't expecting it to be.

I feel I should add that it was considerably more explicit than I had anticipated. They certainly made all the violence feel more immediate than in the original from the 70s.
Asriana
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurr78 wrote:
I saw Poseidon recently as well. It certainly does its job as an action/disaster type flick, although it's not a great movie. But really, I wasn't expecting it to be.

I feel I should add that it was considerably more explicit than I had anticipated. They certainly made all the violence feel more immediate than in the original from the 70s.

The one improvement I liked was how more realistic the disaster was in the newer version. The old one was kind've cheesy when the boat got hit by the wave. It's amazing what technology can do to make things look so real.

I agree it was a good movie, definently entertaining, but not a great movie.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 11852

sunshinegirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View sunshinegirl's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

DaVinci Code - It moves quickly and has lots of action. There were a few differences from the book, which I liked better than the movie. Not the best Tom Hanks movie by far, but not a bad way to spend a warm Saturday afternoon.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw this, and almost didn't make it through the whole thing without tearing up. Not a commercial movie, but something worth the minute to watch (well, for those in the US at least).

http://hotair.com/archives/vent/2006/05/29/freedom-is-not-free/

jeff
sdg
USA RobW720
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 12946

RobW720 is offline View user's profile Send private message View RobW720's Favorites
AIM Address
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

X3 could have been so good... It could have not been a boring "jam as many characters on screen as we can" action fest with no real character or heart... But it was a fun summer popcorn flick.

My views do not reflect that of my employers.
Asriana
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

RobW720 wrote:
X3 could have been so good... It could have not been a boring "jam as many characters on screen as we can" action fest with no real character or heart... But it was a fun summer popcorn flick.

It would've been nice to see more char. development or get an opportunity to see some of the other mutants powers used more than just a brief flash. Overall, I liked the movie & score. Hugh Jackman was once again phenominal! Very Happy
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10545

Morpheus is offline View user's profile Send private message Morpheus's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Men 3

No no no! The worst of the 3. A couple of good sequences don't make a good movie. Badly written, badly directed (though I wouldn't put too much blame on Ratner really) The score was ok, still trying to see if I can get into it. A lot music piled on top of each other, but I am starting to peel away the layers.

The Da Vinci Code

Oh I so wanted this to be good. I know that Howard spoke a lot to Peter Jackson about how to adapt a book beloved by millions, but it seems that Jackson couldn't help him. The movie was functional in that it followed the book quite closely. But that isn't enough for the film. i just didn't seem to feel a sense of energy from the film, no urgency. The cast I thought were great, even Hanks wasn't a complete wash out. Mckellen was by far the best, with Paul Bettany also pulling a good one out of the bag! I am hopeful that they do a better job with Angels and Demons.

Brick

This was a superb film. A strange mix of a plot involving gangsters, drugs and murder within the setting of high school. It's gritty, brilliantly written (albeit with some occasional dosgy dialogue) and acted. It's a new director with a refreshing style that is different to anything else you could see a the moment. It is already being heralded as this years Donnie Darko... I wouldn't say it was as good as that, but it is very close!

MI:3

I found this movie to be somewhat enjoyable. For those of you that can look past Tom Cruise you will find a mission impossible movie that actually delivers a sense of there being an IMF team for once instead of just the Cruister. And if you thought you had seen the face mask trick done, this film tops them all. It finally makes the face changing thing seem a bit more believable. I might still like De Palma's MI better, but this is a worthy addition.

Munich

I caught this at the cinema the other week. Didn't really know what to expect really. This is Spielberg at his best. It's a shocking, dramatic highly charged film following the story of one man as he hunts down those responsible for the killings at the munich olympics. There isn't much else to stay. Brilliantly designed, soundtrack by Williams... and it's the film Spielbergs wanted to make since before Close Encounters. So you know he has put his heart into making this film!

Well that's me done for the minute. Nice thread Nate. More to follow.....

Morph
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Flightplan (2005)
This is an efficient thriller from director Robert Schwentke about an aeronautical engineer (Jodie Foster), still grieving over the recent death of her husband, whose child may or may not have gone missing on a flight from Germany to the US. All the characters are in some state of anxiety, and the film tries to mine the potential drama when uncertainty and fear intrude on those for whom procedure, composure and objectivity are part of their professional lives. Flightplan begins well: mood and character are established with impressive economy. The cinematography and production design, all cold lighting, wintry exteriors and metallic surfaces, are complemented by a low-key, haunting score by James Horner. Once inside the cramped interior of the plane, the mystery of the missing child becomes a mildly diverting entertainment until the final twist. A lot has been written about the last 30 minutes of Flightplan. What bothered me was not that the unravelling plot is so implausible, which it is, but that the film fails to escalate the drama to a level of intensity that would have made the climactic events gripping. It's as if the film is inhibited by it's own claustrophobic setting. The film needed more conviction in its own outcome. Ultmately, Flightplan is restrained by it's own technical proficiency: a victory of craft over storytelling. A thriller that doesn't thrill. 5/10
Lieutenant

Member#: 12946

RobW720 is offline View user's profile Send private message View RobW720's Favorites
AIM Address
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

... but flightplan has peter sarsgaard...

nuff' said

11/10 for flight plan because of peter sarsgaard... ok maybe 6 out of 10 normally.

My views do not reflect that of my employers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 2 of 66

Jump to: