StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Bernard Herrmann Appreciation Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Sound_Track
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 14512

Sound_Track is offline View user's profile Send private message Sound_Track's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:36 am   Post subject: Bernard Herrmann Appreciation Thread Reply with quote

BERNARD HERRRMANN is my favorite film composer.

MY favorite Soundtrack CD is the now out-of-print "THE FANTASY FILM WORLD OF BERNARD HERRMANN".

This was conducted and recorded by Bernard in November of 1973, with the National Philharmonic Orchestra in England and released in the US in 1974. I was a Freshman in college then, and purchased my first Bernard Herrmann LP.

Here's a photo of the LP:

Here's a great site for any fan of Bernard Herrmann, or for anyone wanting more information about his music. It has a resource database with listings for all Herrmann-related recordings released. And it also has a Forum.

http://www.uib.no/herrmann/
Geomancer
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 7499

Geomancer is offline View user's profile Send private message View Geomancer's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sound_Track

There are lots Herrmann-Heads on this site, myself included. That album looks awesome. Too bad it is out of print. I think we have all of the original releases included on that record here except Farenheit 451. But lots of Herrmann has been added since I started hanging around here. I'm sure it's only a matter of time. Smile
Thanks for the link too S_T!
Hey fellow Herrmann's Monsters...chime in!
Lieutenant

Sound_Track is offline View user's profile Send private message Sound_Track's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Attention ! ! For all you Herrmann fans in the UK..... This summer there's a British Film Institute - Bernard Herrmann Film Festival July 1 - July 31, 2006 at the National Film Theater.

Herrmann Festival - Films By Date

Herrmann Festival - Films By Title

Last edited by Sound_Track on Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sound_Track
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Geomancer, I would surely like to see the Fahrenheit 451 selections from THE FANTASY FILM WORLD OF BERNARD HERRMANN available here at SST! I just the love the fact that Herrmann is conducting on that one ! ! Here's a larger picture of that beautiful album cover.... I miss LPs !

THE FANSTASY FILM WORLD OF BERNARD HERRMANN

Bernard Herrmann, National Philharmonic Orchestra
Recorded November, 1973
Released 1974 by Decca/London SP 44207
Liner notes by Bernard Herrmann

Side One

Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) (15:03)

Mountain Top and Sunrise
Prelude
The Grotto
Salt Slides
Atlantis
The Giant Chameleon and the Fight
The Shaft and Finale

The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad (1958) (8:31)

Overture
The Duel with the Skeleton
Baghdad

Side Two

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) (11:35)

Outer Space
Radar
Gort
The Robot
Space Control
Terror
Farewell and Finale

Fahrenheit 451 (1966) (10:50)

Prelude
Fire Engine
The Bedroom
Flowers of Fire
The Road and Finale

Last edited by Sound_Track on Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:37 am   Post subject: Re: Bernard Herrmann Appreciation Thread Reply with quote

Thank you, Sound_track, for starting this topic on Herrmann. You're doing a beautiful job with all the links and pictures!

Sound_Track wrote:
great site for any fan of Bernard Herrmann... It has a resource database with listings for all Herrmann-related recordings released - http://www.uib.no/herrmann/

Wow - I haven't visited that site in a long time. I once was a contributor to it a lonnng time ago (even named in the credits). Cool It has really grown and is beautifully done.

Question about the Fantasy Film World of BH you mentioned. Do you own the CD? I'm curious about the sound quality. I have the LP but that doesn't really give me an idea of how well done the CD is.

btw - I will send the Fahrenheit 451 to SST (with Jeric's approval, of course).
Sound_Track
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:52 am   Post subject: Re: Bernard Herrmann Appreciation Thread Reply with quote

Twopop wrote:
Do you own the CD? I'm curious about the sound quality.

The sound quality of the CD is........
Excellent ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'm praying for a re-issue, so more people can enjoy it !
Ensign

Geomancer is offline View user's profile Send private message View Geomancer's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Twopop wrote:
btw - I will send the Fahrenheit 451 to SST (with Jeric's approval, of course).

Sweet! That'd be awesome Two! Cool
Sound_Track
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

As of June 24, 2006 these are the albums with Bernard Herrmann works on them here at SST:

Albums by Bernard Herrmann:

7th Voyage Of Sinbad, The 1998

Cape Fear 1991

Citizen Kane, The Classic Film Scores Of Bernard Herrmann 1974

Day The Earth Stood Still, The 1993

The Egyptian 1954

Ghost And Mrs. Muir, The 1947

Jason And The Argonauts 1963

Journey To The Center Of The Earth 1959

Marnie 2000

North By Northwest 1959

Psycho 1997

Sci-Fi's Greatest Hits, Vol. 1 - Final Frontiers 1998

Snows Of Kilimanjaro, The / 5 Fingers 2001

Taxi Driver 1976

Torn Curtain (Rejected) 1998

Trouble With Harry, The 1998

Twilight Zone, The 1999

Varese Sarabande, A 25th Anniversary Celebration 2003

Vertigo 1958

Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight, from 8pm-10pm Central Time, June 29, 2006, WRR-FM will be streaming on the Web the John Williams concert with the NY Philharmonic, that features Herrmann and Williams scores, with Scorcese and Speilberg narrating....

Listen Live to WRR FM
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more Herrmann albums added this go 'round thanks to dodn0don! *applause*

Let's make him an honorary member of the HAS!(Herrmann Appreciation Society) Very Happy

I saw an Evening at the Pops episode some months ago. It featured Herrmann and Mancini compositions with Williams conducting. An excellent program! I hope they air it again so I can record it!
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pops/programnotes/index.html#20040725
Sound_Track
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Geomancer wrote:
Two more Herrmann albums added this go 'round thanks to dodn0don! *applause*

Let's make him an honrary member of the HAS!(Herrmann Appreciation Society) Very Happy

I saw an Evening at the Pops episode some months ago. It featured Herrmann and Mancini compositions with Williams conducting. An excellent program! I hope they air it again so I can record it!
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pops/programnotes/index.html#20040725

I'd like to read a review of that performance July 25, 2004. I'd like to know what pieces were played. Shocked
Lieutenant

Member#: 10809

don0don is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website don0don's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Geo: Thanks so the applause -- and the honorary membership in the HAS. Now ... how do I apply for full membership? *gets out check book*

I was really pleased when I discovered that the "Concerto Macabre" album had Herrmann's "Devil and Daniel Webster Suite" on it. I love that score -- it's some of Herrmann's best film music, I think. Interesting trivia about that score: It's the only one he ever won an Oscar for -- and, to do it, he beat himself (among others) -- he was up against his own "Citizen Kane" score that year (1942 Academy Awards). (Several other composers also had two nominations that year.)

The other album ("The Inquirer") has an interesting obscure piece on it -- from the soundtrack of a film shown at the Colonial Williamsburg Visitor's Center -- "Williamsburg: The Story of a patriot" -- that stars a very young Jack Lord. (Yeah, the guy from "Hawaii Five-O".) It's a pretty good film -- quite professionally made. I've seen it twice.

As far as I can tell, "The Inquirer" is the third of three albums in Preamble Records "Bernard Herrmann Anthology." I will soon be getting the second volume and donating it to SST. Volume I is confined to music from Herrmann's score for "The Magnificent Ambersons," including cues that never made it into the film as finally released. When I can track that down at a reasonable price, I will also get that one.

*pours all the HAS members a dram of The MacCallan* Raise your glasses everyone -- here's to Maestro Herrmann! May his music be heard for as long as there are ears to hear it! *clinks*

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

This rare Bernard Herrmann item showed up in my Favorite eBay Sellers offerings today.

Can you imagine $600 for a record?! Shocked
Auction ends 7/15/06, so this link will be good for a few weeks. See the listing here.
don0don
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

don0don is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website don0don's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Two: That's truly a historic LP. "A Child Is Born" was Herrmann's second composition project for television (it aired on the program "General Electric Theatre" hosted by Ronald Reagan on Christmas Day, 1955). His first being a production of "A Christmas Carol" for the CBS musical variety show "Shower of Stars," and it aired on December 23rd, 1954.

I'm actually surprised to see this particular LP, because I have only heard of "A Child Is Born" being available on LP as Side Two of a record with Alfred Newman's "David & Bathsheba" on Side One. Makes me wonder if this record isn't some sort of private recording project. If so, no wonder it's going for $600!!
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound_Track and Geo:

When do I get my HAS T-shirt and lapel pin?

P.S.: I just received Vol. 2 of the Bernard Herrmann Anhology -- and a CD of his "Jane Eyre" score is on the way. Can't wait!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: