StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Ennio Morricone Links & CDs
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:18 pm   Post subject: Ennio Morricone Links & CDs Reply with quote

Nov. 10th, 2005, was the 77th birthday of Ennio Morricone. Those of us in chat that day had a grand time exchanging information, web links, and accolades about this incredible man. Undoubtedly the most prolific film music composer of all time, Morricone has well over 500 films to his credit. Fortunately many have been made available on CD, over 80 of which we have here at SST.

I thought it might be handy to have a newer up-to-date forum topic on Morricone, to serve as a central location for links, news, and sharing of information and personal stories of Il Maestro.

Official Ennio Morricone web site:
http://www.enniomorricone.com

Popular fan site:
http://morricone.coolfreepages.com
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

A popular CD here at SST is Yo-Yo Ma Plays Morricone. If you plan to purchase it, I would like to point out that there are two almost identical versions of this release: one is just a CD, the other is a Dual Disc CD/DVD combo.

Their covers are virtually identical, but the CD/DVD has a clear plastic slipcover that says DUAL DISC in shiny silver lettering (looks black in this scan).

The CD is Sony Classical SN 93456.

The 2-sided disc is Sony Classical SN 93472. It has an documentary film of Ennio and Yo-Yo Ma in Morricone's studio in 2003. It will give you a wonderful incite into their personalities, not to mention a chance to watch them discussing and rehearsing music.

It also contains 4 short films by students of Univ. of Southern California's School of Cinema, interpreting four of Morricone's most popular cues.

You have the choice of listening to the music tracks on PCM Stereo or 5.1 Dolby Digital.

Over the past 6 months, I have purchased four of these CDs at a nearby local electronics/CD store. The cost of both versions was the same... $14.99. So if they cost the same, it would be much nicer to have the combo one, I would think.
Norway Sensei
Commander
Commander

Member#: 12

Sensei is offline View user's profile Send private message View Sensei's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Twopop. I had no idea there was a version of that album with a DVD. For those who want to see more of Morricone I can recommend Arena Concerto.

I'd also like to add the site ChiMai to the list. It's a great resource for anything Morricone-related. Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a newly-released DVD of Ennio Morricone conducting his own music. The 100-minute concert was in Germany in 2004.

Anyone who considers themselves a soundtrack lover owes it to themselves to see Morricone on the podium. El Maestro is the greatest living film music composer in the world today. “For cinephiles and soundtrack collectors everywhere, Morricone Conducts Morricone is a DVD to cherish for a lifetime."

I cannot praise it highly enough. The cinematography and audio recording are of the highest quality. There are occasional film clips edited in that are truly moving. The enclosed liner notes booklet looks like a concert program, and is written in English, German, and Italian.

The DVD is Region 0 (viewable worldwide) with themes from:
1. The Untouchables
2. Once Upon a Time in America
3. The Legend of 1900
4. Cinema Paradiso
5. H2S
6. The Sicilian Clan
7. Love Circle
8. Maddalena
9. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
10. Once Upon a Time in the West
11. A Fistful of Dynamite
12. Canone Inverso
13. Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion
14. According to Pereira
15. The Working Class Goes to Heaven
16. Casualties of War
17. The Desert of the Tartars
18. The Mission

Norway Sensei
Commander
Commander

Sensei is offline View user's profile Send private message View Sensei's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is awesome! This one has slipped right past me, thank's for letting us know, Two. DVD is ordered! Cool
Lieutenant

Member#: 14512

Sound_Track is offline View user's profile Send private message Sound_Track's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Photo Twopop !

I own a discontinued CD from Silva Screen.

It's US title is CINEMA PARADISO: THE CLASSIC ENNIO MORRICONE Released 1994 [FILMCD 148]

I LOVE IT !

It's got 20 tracks, with great liner notes. It's mostly performed by The City of Prague Philharmonic, Conducted by William Motzing and Derek Wadsworth.

It's a real Keeper ! !

1 Cinema Paradiso
2 Mission: Gabriel's oboe
3 The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
4 Once Upon A Time In America (Deborah's theme)
5 Two Mules For Sister Sara
6 Marco Polo
7 Once Upon A Time In The West (Suite)
8 The Mission: Main Theme
9 1900: Romanze
10 In The Line Of Fire - Ayres, Mark
11 Untouchables: Death theme
12 Red Sonja
13 Casualties Of War: Elegy for Brown
14 Fistful Of Dollars
15 For A Few Dollars More
16 Hamlet
17 Fistful Of Dynamite (Duck You Sucker)
18 Thing - Caine, Daniel
19 The Good, The Bad & The Ugly: Ecstasy of Gold
20 The Mission: On Earth As It Is In Heaven
BhelPuri
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5034

BhelPuri is offline View user's profile Send private message View BhelPuri's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the Morricone conducts Morricone DVD last night and it blew me away! What a fantastic performance!

The highlight for me was the lesser known works like Investigation of a citizen under suspicion, H2S (no full score release yet) and Sostiene Pereira. Investigation.. and Meti Una Sera A Cena work so well in an orchestral setting. And the suite from Canone Inverso was fabulous.

It was so cool to see Morricone enjoying himself- you could see he was saying 'pom pom' for a couple of the brass sections in Investigation.. Smile

"If I spent all that time in Hollywood, I'd lose my inspiration."
~Ennio Morricone, in Variety [June 4, 2006]
BhelPuri
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

BhelPuri is offline View user's profile Send private message View BhelPuri's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

A recent interview published in The Times (UK) makes for a fascinating read-

He talks about La Sconosciuta (upcoming) with Guiseppe Tornatore, his inspiration for Roland Joffe's The Mission-

Quote:
For The Mission — and I don’t think I even told the director Roland Joffe this — I noted that the film is set in 1750, the period when European instrumental music was developing but also when music for the liturgy changed completely after the Council of Trent, with Pierluigi da Palestrina and the other motetists.

In the film we have a priest who plays the oboe, but he is playing to the natives, so we have to take into account European instruments (Father Gabriel’s violin and oboe), the Council of Trent liturgy — both exported to South America by the Jesuits — and the music of the Indios. So what did I do? This is where the mystical, sacred element comes in. I mixed these three elements together. First each element individually, then the first with the second together, and then all three. This was my idea, the three elements singly and in conjunction, as a symbol of the Trinity. I have never told anyone this.

On the question of retirement-
Quote:
No, I never think of stopping composing. When I was 38, I told my wife that when I was 40 I wouldn’t write cinema music any longer. But I said the same thing when I was 50, 60, and 70, and now here I am two years away from being 80. I will probably make the same promise then.
Smile

Another set of comments on Italy's performance in the FIFA World Cup 2006-
On Italy Vs Germany in the semi-finals
On Italy Vs Czech Republic
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice interview.

The Times wrote:
Someone listening to Gabriel’s Oboe without seeing The Mission might imagine a pastoral scene, “with shepherds playing pipes in the woods”. Music in a film, he says, “acquires the qualities which the film has . . . Music has this incredible quality of lending itself to different interpretations. When music is placed on top of an image it takes on the interpretation which the image gives it.”

Very, very, very true... Especially for Morricone's music. A lot of his works can be directly painful to listen to. Once you see the movie it becomes some of the best music ever. In a bitter-sweet kind of way, of course. Very Happy

I'm a big fan of Tornatore as well, but Leningrad is the movie I'm looking forward to the most. I just hope there will be no more delays, as people have a tendency to go horizontal when they are closing in on 80. Sad
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian (UK) has a new interview of him and it is simply delightful. Some of his tongue-in-cheek replies had me in splits!

Quote:

"He can be quite grumpy," says the genial translator a little nervously as we wait in the cobbled courtyard of Morricone's building to be summoned by the maestro. "Once I translated for an American journalist who kept asking him about the Sergio Leone films. Morricone told me that if she asked him about Leone one more time, he was leaving."

Talking about Fistful of Dollars (which he also says was Leone's worst film and his worst score Surprised) -
Quote:
"Some of the music was written before the film, which is unusual," he explains. "Leone's films were made like that because he wanted the music to be an important part of it, and he often kept the scenes longer simply because he didn't want the music to end. That's why the films were so slow - because they were following the pattern of the music."

Morricone the chess champion Smile
Quote:
I ask him if he has any unrealised ambitions. He almost smiles. "Of course. I would like to be the chess world champion. But perhaps I will have to wait until I'm reborn for that."

Cyrano
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 15086

Cyrano is offline View user's profile Send private message Cyrano's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Morricone is the soundtrack composer with more compilation albums... but all them can't cover the huge work of the Italian composer.

To discover Morricone is a slow task that every soundtrack lover should do.

But, actually, I love the Yo-Yo Ma plays Morricone CD. It's just amazing the fusion of those two great tallented men.
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright all you Morricone experts. I have very few Morricone scores and am interested in picking up some of his best stuff. In all of your opinions, what are some of the best scores to start with to enjoy the wonderful Ennio Morricone?
Cyrano
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 15086

Cyrano is offline View user's profile Send private message Cyrano's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

natedogg_23 wrote:
Alright all you Morricone experts. I have very few Morricone scores and am interested in picking up some of his best stuff. In all of your opinions, what are some of the best scores to start with to enjoy the wonderful Ennio Morricone?

Just to start? Well... I would recommend a huge list, but I'm going to try to put just ten -a difficult work (I suppose you already know The Mission, Cinema Paradiso -and all Tornatore's works- or The Untouchables)

- Novecento
- Canone inverso
- Il buono, il brutto e il cattivo (or The good, the bad and the ugly)
- Per qualche dollaro in piu
- Once upon a time in America
- C'era una volta il West
- L'eredita Ferramonti
- A time of destiny
- Marco Polo
- And a compilation album: Yo-Yo Ma plays Morricone (awesome!)
Captain

aw

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thx for the great info Cyrano. I actually have Once Upon A Time In America and Yo Yo Ma plays Morricone. The Yo Yo Ma album is fantastic and one of my favorites. I will be sure to check out some of the others that you listed. Thanks for the help!
Captain

aw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just recently picked up La Leggenda Del Pianista Sull'Oceano by Ennio Morricone and am really looking forward to getting that one. I am finally ready to branch out and try some more Morricone but it is just so darn confusing. For Example, it looks like you recommend getting the import of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly....but there are like 10 versions and hard to figure out which is the best of the lot.

I will start searching out some of the ones you recommended Cyrano hopefully for reasonable prices so that I can give them a try. I will check back once I get to listen to some of them.

Yo Yo Ma plays Ennio Morricone is an awesome CD. In fact, I think it is one of my favorites period. I am addicted to the Ecstacy of Gold track!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: