StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Shorter re-request times for new playlist additions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Poland Albi VIP (subscribed member)
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5692

Albi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Albi's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:26 am   Post subject: Shorter re-request times for new playlist additions Reply with quote

Just thought of this when I wanted to request a V for Vendetta track but saw that I couldn't just yet, because of the no-repeat.

I imagine that people would like to hear new additions to the playlist just a bit more frequent for the first two weeks or so to get to know the soundtracks. So how about cutting the re-request time into half for the latest additions for a period of two weeks for example?

Let me know what you think Smile

techie stuff:
I suppose that albums have a date in the database on which they were added. This can be used to easily re-calculate the no-repeat for these albums, depending on the implementation of the no-repeat feature.
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

One of this station's great strengths is the immense size of its library. If we made it possible to hear new scores more often, it would cut down on the number of tracks drawn from older, less often explored albums.

So, my belief is that things are working very well as they are. I'm sure we'll all get more than enough chances to hear the "V for Vendetta" score over the coming months.
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I'm with Hurr here, Albi.
I think long "no repeats" time is good for SST.

What comes to my mind is maybe some kind of "Power play album" (e.g.: current "Soundtrack of the Month" album or some kind of "New Addition of the month" album) being played a bit more often (but by SAM not by listeners) just because it's been chosen The Album of the Month or Addition of the Month.

But I'm not sure if this "powerplay album" idea is worth bringing it into life at all, because what we have here now, works very good in my opinion.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Albi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Albi's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments guys / girls Cool. Now let me comment on them Razz

@Hurr: I get your point of the immense library of SST and I gladly make use of it Smile But in my opinion, the idea that people request tracks that are spread out evenly across that library is false. Some soundtracks have become more popular than others and get requested more often. The less explored albums already have a 'hard time' between those Wink

I, for myself of course, would like the chance to request the new additions a little more often (and not just V; I just noticed it and got the idea on that one). I don't think this will lead to a flood, because you would still have a no-repeat time of say 4 days for these tracks and not all of the new additions are immediately requested when they are added.

What also could be possible is that, with new additions, the first request can be followed by a second request after half the no-repeat time. After this second request everything goes back to normal. So basically it would be possible to request new additions twice instead of once in the first week.

@Molossus: I like the long no-repeat as well, don't get me wrong Smile I'm not really sure about powerplaying just one or two albums, I guess it depends on the interval. Since it's only a small number of albums, it might get boring whereas with all the new additions you could have more variety.
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Albi wrote:
But in my opinion, the idea that people request tracks that are spread out evenly across that library is false.

I can't tell you are wrong, because I agree that requests are not spread out evenly.
But on the other hand, longer "no repeats" time, "artist in the queue" rule etc. make people request from more different albums and in result make requests more spread across the library. It has been particularly obvious right after enforcing "artist in the queue" rule.

Albi wrote:
I'm not really sure about powerplaying just one or two albums, I guess it depends on the interval.

Totally agreed.

I think SAM's extra requests from selected albums (I mean different cues from new additions or soundtrack of the month) shouldn't occur more ofter than 3-4 times a day.
But as I said before I'm not sure if it is vital to enforce. I'm quite happy with what we've got now.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
USA Johnny_Cage
Commander
Commander

Member#: 9964

Johnny_Cage is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Johnny_Cage's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurr is right. Everyone will have plenty of chances to get the tracks they want. Instead of changing the rules, it's best to just stay patient.
"You have been chosen to represent Earth in Mortal Kombat. Be warned. Although your souls are protected from Shao Kahn's evil: your lives are not. I cannot interfere any longer as your Earth is now ruled by the Outworld gods."
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad that a certain organization won't allow JERIC to dump entire albums into the queue like in the Old Days (TM).

jeff
sdg
USA Johnny_Cage
Commander
Commander

Member#: 9964

Johnny_Cage is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Johnny_Cage's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I hate the restrictions placed by the evil organization that shall remain unnamed, I was annoyed when a group of listeners would request all the tracks from a new anticipated album within a matter of hours. I felt it was inconsiderate for other listeners who weren't around that day and were looking forward to requesting from the new addition.
"You have been chosen to represent Earth in Mortal Kombat. Be warned. Although your souls are protected from Shao Kahn's evil: your lives are not. I cannot interfere any longer as your Earth is now ruled by the Outworld gods."
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

j2brown wrote:
Too bad that a certain organization won't allow JERIC to dump entire albums into the queue like in the Old Days (TM).

Oh man, those days were great - I remember weekend mornings listening to the whole of Ben Hur!
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I officialy consider my idea to be shot down Rolling Eyes
wrabbit
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 13971

wrabbit is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View wrabbit's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i know my response is a few months too late probably, but i actually like albi's idea. and while i understand the arguments against, i've been in similar situations where i'd love to hear from the new albums, but i miss the day all the tracks are played...within hours of each other. (which is great when you're there, but not so much when you're not.) you miss one day, you're on an 8 day delay and risk missing again. maybe limiting it to new theater releases as opposed to all new additions, or highlighting two or three a month...i'm open to any compromise, but have noticed that same problem.

just thought i'd throw my two cents out there, a few months late!
Morpheus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10545

Morpheus is offline View user's profile Send private message Morpheus's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny_Cage wrote:
As much as I hate the restrictions placed by the evil organization that shall remain unnamed, I was annoyed when a group of listeners would request all the tracks from a new anticipated album within a matter of hours. I felt it was inconsiderate for other listeners who weren't around that day and were looking forward to requesting from the new addition.

Totally agree Johnny!!!

I think we took a step forward when the new rules came in!!! Now I hear a lot more variety which is the point of a radio station. If you wanna hear all the same stuff all the time......BUY THE CD!!!!! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: