StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Should duplicate tracks be removed?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Should duplicate tracks be dropped?
Yes.
19%
 19%  [ 9 ]
No.
80%
 80%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 47

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be killed for this, but...

There are 4 copies of "Now We are Free," from Gladiator, in the playlist.

One from the original soundtrack.
Two from the "more music" soundtrack
One from "wings of a film" compilation.

I know that two of these are remixes. But something's redundant. Plus, all four have played 6/23-6/29. Even with different remixes, that's a lot of repetition in less than a week. Could one of them go, perhaps? That woman's singing is haunting my dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

They are all three different.

One is original, second is a remix last is a life version
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the fourth?
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4th is a different remix Smile

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Caliburn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

oh.. there were four :-)
don0don
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 10809

don0don is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website don0don's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, I support removing duplicates. (And I, in fact, have contributed albums that caused duplications to appear in the playlist.)

That said, I agree with GD that if the duplicate tracks are characterized by significant creative differences, such as instrumentation, orchestration or conductor's interpretation, that should be an argument in favor of retaining the duplicate tracks. For example, Geoffrey Burgon's Nunc Dimittis appears on both "Golden Favourites from St. Paul's Cathedral" and "Brideshead Revisited" -- but the first is the original rendition by treble Paul Phoenix that was used in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, while the latter is a slightly re-orchestrated rendition by a female soprano recorded for the latter album. Both are beautiful, but they are (necessarily) quite different. So, I would vote for keeping both.

Herrmann's Concerto Macabre appears on both "Citizen Kane, The Classic Film Scores Of Bernard Herrmann" and "Concerto Macabre: The Bernard Herrmann Collection." The renditions are noticeably different, but I would say not enough to retain both. IMHO, the performance on "Concerto Macabre" is slightly better -- plus, eliminating the title track from the "Concerto Macabre" album would probably be confusing for listeners -- so I would vote in favor of eliminating the track on "Citizen Kane."

Herrmann's Theme and Variations: Breakfast Montage and Salaambo's Aria from his Citizen Kane score are repeated on both the "Citizen Kane" album and the "Inquirer" album, but I don't hear that one is creatively superior to the other -- so, I would vote for deleting the tracks from "Inquirer," unless, in JERIC's opinion, the sound quality of the latter tracks is superior.

Ditto for the repeated tracks from The Day the Earth Stood Still -- Lincoln Memorial and Arlington Cemetery on the "Inquirer" album (which appear on the "The Day The Earth Stood Still" soundtrack album). I'd leave it up to JERIC to decide which tracks are of the highest quality.

LadyIngue: I, too, thank you for bringing up this question. I think it worth talking about.
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input and descriptions so far. Your explanations are of immense help.

We need your help in sleuthing out the redundant identical tracks. If you can detail as to why they are different renditions (and therefore should be left in the Playlist), that would be good to know.

You can post them here or email your findings to Jeric with a c/c to me:
jeric(AT)streamingsoundtracks(DOT)com
twopop(AT)streamingsoundtracks(DOT)com

It should really help to have lots of eyes & ears checking thru the SST Library. Thanks in advance for your assistance!
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight" can be found on both:

Miami Vice and Risky Business.

Even though I generally can't stand Phil Collins, Rolling Eyes this song is actually slightly better than barely tolerable. In fact, I even kind of like it.

Still, twice in one week is too many for me. Wink
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a heck of a post, don. Well thought-out, and reasoned. Better than any of mine so far. I defer to your superior knowledge and patience. May it inspire the rest of us.
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

don0don is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website don0don's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed

*bows to LadyIngue*

We strive to give satisfaction, my lady. It is gratifying to know we have enjoyed some modest success in this case.

( Wink )
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

don0don wrote:
... and Salaambo's Aria from his Citizen Kane score are repeated on both the "Citizen Kane" album and the "Inquirer" album..

Note: You will find both “Salaambo” and “Salammbo” in the SST Playlist, and in any internet search. The correct spelling is “Salammbô”, complete with circumflex. (Salammbô is a character from a Jean Racine play.)

However, Bernard Herrmann’s librettist John Houseman insisted on referring to the opera as “Salaambo” – and so it stuck. It is spelled that way on the inserts of most recordings of the aria from Citizen Kane.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing duplicate soundtracks is a pain to process. This would mean we have to listen to all of them and decide which one should go or not. And we will probably get complains: "Why is that one removed it is different!"

Personally I say we can spend our time on other things to make this station better.
don0don
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cal: Yeah, I can see that this removing duplicates project would require a lot of time. I certainly don't regard it as particularly important -- I'm sure there are a lot of other things that would yield much more significant benefits to the station and the listeners.

That said, the presence of the duplicates does tend to undermine the "no replays for eight days rule" and, potentially, the RIAA restrictions about multiple tracks by the same composer. It's not major problem yet, however.
Lieutenant

Member#: 2223

tranzishun is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View tranzishun's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i would prefer if they were not dropped i think they should contain all songs from the soundtrack to keep it complete. Smile Smile
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Please submit redundant track reports here:
http://www.streamingsoundtracks.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=47224

Thanks!

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: