StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What's the oldest soundtrack on SST?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:54 pm   Post subject: What's the oldest soundtrack on SST? Reply with quote

I came across The Adventures of Robin Hood by Korngold and noticed it was written in 1938. I wondered if there were any older scores on SST and what the oldest actually was...
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Mellow, are you talking about the score release date or when it was actually composed? I've noticed that those dates don't often coincide. For example: the score for Ben Hur (the silent movie version) was composed by William Axt in 1925 but re-scored by Carl Davis in 1987. SST has the Carl Davis score.

But I did find this one... Wink
King Kong by Max Steiner is 1933

Edit: I've also noticed that the year given by SST on a specific score seems to be the release date not the date of the composition. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (and I know that someone will Wink)

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, good point, gen. I guess I'm talking about when the original score for film was written rather than the release date - because I'm guessing a lot of release dates will be much more recent then when they were written.

But 1933 beats mine, gen!
Germany payableondeath
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 12372

payableondeath is offline View user's profile Send private message View payableondeath's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i have found this.... Les Misérables / La Roue / Mermoz / Napoléon i hope it is what for ya Very Happy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 13611

OptimisprimalX is offline View user's profile Send private message OptimisprimalX's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well perhaps I'm wrong, but I'd guess that the music for Amadeus was written a little bit before those others. Very Happy
don0don
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 10809

don0don is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website don0don's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Optimis: Yes, the music _IN_ "Amadeus" was written long before the others, but the difference is this: it wasn't written _FOR_ "Amadeus." I'm wondering whether that Honegger album is truly the oldest original music written _FOR_ a film that is presently in the SST library.
Captain

Member#: 7505
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas, formerly from the Heart of Dixie

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

We have GWTW, I guess it would be second oldest.
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

don0don wrote:
...that Honegger album is truly the oldest original music written _FOR_ a film that is presently in the SST library.

I think you're right, Don. La Roue was composed in 1922. The others on that compilation are late 20s-early 30s.

Other early ones besides GWTWind that Thur mentioned are:

Korngold's Captain Blood - 1933
Steiner's King Kong - 1933
Chaplin's "Smile" from Modern Times - 1936 (SST has the Barry rendition)
Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky - 1938
Morpheus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10545

Morpheus is offline View user's profile Send private message Morpheus's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the oldest scores for movies were actaully played live in the cinemas by an orchestra. And since the first movie was in 1890 (I think that was about the right time....a french film if I remember....could look it up but can't be ar$ed), I would guess the first actual movie score would have been composed in the early 1900's...

Morph
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The probably first original music for a film was composed by Camille Saint-Saèns in 1908 for the movie "The Assassination of the Duke de Guise", of course a silent movie back then.
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the trivia facts! Smile

Of course the original topic was "What's the oldest soundtrack on SST?" It would be kinda cool to hear the ones you mentioned though. Anybody know if they've been re-recorded?

I've been tempted to send in some magnificent theatre pipe organ music for SST. I have several wonderful CDs but there isn't one that's just perfect for here. Either they have some non-movie music like "When The Saints Go Marching In" or it's too modern like "Star Wars". Maybe just 1 or 2 tracks would be fun to hear though like "That's Entertainment".

Live365 has a station called Theatre Organ Replay where the owner has converted thousands of LP tracks to digital. It's a wonderful homage to the great organists of a bygone era.
Diane26
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 12750

Diane26 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Diane26's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

'The Assassination of the Duke de Guise' has not been widely available for some time. However, there have been a few recordings of it.

Our favorite is the 1993 Harmonia Mundi release with the Ensemble Musique Oblique. Composed for piano, woodwinds and strings, the unique thing about this particular recording is that Harmonia Mundi preserved the original structure created by Saint-Saëns for the film, subdivided in five 'tables'.

Leonard Slatkin has been a major supporter of the work and he usually schedules it in his film music programme with the National Symphony Orchestra.

I believe the above recording can still be obtained from Amazon France. Smile

"A Puritan is a person who is deathly afraid that someone, somewhere, is having a good time."
-- H.L. Mencken
Miaou
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 12189

Miaou is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Miaou's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way Camille Saint-Saëns is the best composer of the entire world.

Or maybe he's just my favorite one ^^
USA alberich VIP (subscribed member)
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 4

alberich is offline View user's profile Send private message View alberich's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Miaou wrote:
By the way Camille Saint-Saëns is the best composer of the entire world.

Or maybe he's just my favorite one ^^

Well, i agree that Saint-Saens was one of the greatest child prodigies the world has ever seen, and his organ symphony is nothing to sneeze at, but the best composer of the entire world nod i give to Beethoven followed by JS Bach...Can you say which are your favorite works by Camille?....do you love the piano concerti?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: