StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

The Official Doctor Who Fan Club Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Who is the best Doctor?
William Hartnell (1963-1966)
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Patrick Troughton (1966-1969)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Jon Pertwee (1970-1974)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Tom Baker (1974-1981)
28%
 28%  [ 13 ]
Peter Davison (1981-1984)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Colin Baker (1984-1986)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Sylvester McCoy (1987-1989)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Paul McGann (1996)
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Christopher Eccleston (2005)
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
David Tennant (2005-2010)
39%
 39%  [ 18 ]
Matt Smith (2010-2013)
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Peter Capaldi (2013-?)*
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 46

USA Nenya18
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 6272

Nenya18 is offline View user's profile Send private message View Nenya18's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Snow - you must have seen Tooth & Claw by now! What did you think? Very Happy
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet, Nen. It is on Saturdays at 7.30pm in Australia. Will catch it then and let you know.

I can't believe we still only have 7 votes out of 15,000 members.
Lieutenant Commander

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nen. Just saw Tooth & Claw (There are interesting parallels with an episode from Season 1, The Unquiet Dead, in which a well known British actor plays a character from the Victorian era as the Doctor and his assistant go on a gothic adventure.)

Here are my thoughts:

The pre-credit sequence was silly. Those monks performing aerial ballet seemed out of place to me. Meeting Queen Victoria was fun, but Rose's attempts to get her to say "I am not amused" was so lame. I can't believe they made it a running gag. Easily the worst part of this episode. Once inside the house it was, as always, entertaining, though not a scary as it could have been and I found the music to be particularly loud and intrusive. The CGI was OK. Spoiler:
I thought the way they killed the wolf was stupid. The Doctor tosses the crystal onto the floor just in time to catch the light beam! How could Sir Robert's father have predicted exactly that would happen! And what happened to the monks?

I found it confusing that Queen Victoria knights the Doctor and Rose and then promptly banishes them from the Empire. The Torchwood reference is interesting, suggesting that the Doctor was partly and inadvertently responsible for what happened at the end of The Christmas Invasion. I'm a bit ambivalent about the idea that the Doctor may be oblivious to the consequences of his own actions while travelling though time and space. He is supposed to be a Time Lord after all. When The Doctor and Rose joke about the Royal Family being werewolves, they come across as a couple of tearaways larking about the universe just for the fun of it. Maybe the Doctor is oblivious after all. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh. Maybe I prefer The Doctor to be older and more mature. At this stage I prefer Christopher Eccelsten's intensity.

Overall, an OK episode. Looking forward to the next and fascinated where those unresolved storylines are going.
Commander

Member#: 5527

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

If I didn't know better, I would say you don't really like Doctor Who. I agree Doctor Who has its share of problems in story and CGI, but hasn't always?? Nothing has changed really since the tin foil monsters of the 60's.

Have you always been this critical of the show, and if so why do you continue to put yourself through it? Smile
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Eccleston cause I really liked how he handled himself and he was serious but enough humor to break things up. I have warmed to Tennant, but he is a little too joyful I think and he has an ostrich neck Laughing .

These are the only two doctors I am familiar with so I will have to watch some of the old episodes to see how I like those.

Thanks to Nenya for introducing me to this cool show!
Canada TreeBob
Commander
Commander

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the cool Doctor Who club Nate! Have a jelly baby...
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

TreeBob wrote:
If I didn't know better, I would say you don't really like Doctor Who. I agree Doctor Who has its share of problems in story and CGI, but hasn't always?? Nothing has changed really since the tin foil monsters of the 60's.

Have you always been this critical of the show, and if so why do you continue to put yourself through it? Smile

Tree, you should see the pages written about each episode on the Doctor Who fansites. Their opinions are more extreme than mine, both for and against.

I don't see anything inconsistent with being both a fan and a critic of a show. I am just giving my honest opinion. I can only state for the record than underlying all my praise, or criticism, is a great affection for the Doctor Who series that goes back to the days when those tin foil monsters used to scare me as a boy.

I appeal to you to post your opinion of these episodes. Whether we agree or disagree, it's all for the better. I find discussion or debate stimulating, and so long as we exchange views in good spirit, it may encourage others to seek out this show. Goodness knows, there aren't many of us around at the moment.

On that note, I say Welcome to nate!! Smile
Lieutenant

aw

Nenya18 is offline View user's profile Send private message View Nenya18's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSnowLeopard wrote:
I found the music to be particularly loud and intrusive.

Maybe you'd find this amsuing then Wink

Snow - I hope you like the upcoming episodes better. The next two coming up are my favorites in this season (episodes 3 & 4)
natedogg_23 wrote:
I voted Eccleston cause I really liked how he handled himself and he was serious but enough humor to break things up. I have warmed to Tennant, but he is a little too joyful I think and he has an ostrich neck Laughing .

These are the only two doctors I am familiar with so I will have to watch some of the old episodes to see how I like those.

Glad you've warmed up to Tennant, I don't really agree with you about the ostrich neck Razz. I do prefer Eccleston over Tennant so far. I don't think that's Tennant's fault. I think it's how the writing changed in season 2.

I hope you do get around to seeing some of the older episodes. I'd be interested to know what you think Smile

natedogg_23 wrote:
Thanks to Nenya for introducing me to this cool show!

You're welcome. Very Happy
TheSnowLeopard wrote:
I don't see anything inconsistent with being both a fan and a critic of a show. I am just giving my honest opinion. I can only state for the record than underlying all my praise, or criticism, is a great affection for the Doctor Who series that goes back to the days when those tin foil monsters used to scare me as a boy.

I appreciate you're honest opinions! I want to hear more about what you think of the season as it continues Smile
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nenya18 wrote:

Maybe you'd find this amsuing then Wink

LOL!!. Nen, how do you find these videos??

Time to catch up...

School Reunion
Sarah Jane Smith. Sigh. I remember the episode The Hand Of Fear in Season 14, when the Doctor had to leave her on Earth and return to Galifrey. The final-freeze frame shot as Sarah turns to the camera with a hopeful smile still lingers in my memory. Those were the days when losing an assistant was a big deal. So now comes the reunion and it turns out to be a solid episode, mainly due to some of the best dialogue in the season so far. The exchanges between the Doctor, Rose and Sarah are touching and funny. Even Mickey "I'm the Tin Dog" Smith is entertaining. The back story of the Krillitanes is weak. In fact, the whole episode feels a bit rushed. Too much is crammed into the 45 minute running time, and Rose and Sarah shift from being antagonists to best friends way too quickly and unconvincingly. However, it was great to see Sarah again. The Doctor, Rose & Mickey are becoming a likeable and engaging team. Future adventures should be fun.

The Girl In the Fireplace
At last. A great episode. Terrific story idea. Funny, sad, intelligent and a bit scary. Again, there is some good dialogue, from Mickey ("It's so realistic!") and the android ("We do not require your feet") and one LOL moment ( The Doctor's "magic door" comment). OK, maybe on reflection the story doesn't make a lot of sense (Why exactly did they want Madame de Pompadour? Why were they clockwork robots? And what was the significance of the broken clock?) but the time-travel element worked very well and I had a lot of fun watching this episode.

Bring on the cybermen!
Lieutenant

aw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

School Reunion was the episode I was anticipating the most. Right after I saw the preview shown after Christmas Invasion I couldn’t wait to see this one. I knew Sarah Jane was going to be back, and as a huge Dr. Who fan how can you not get overly ecstatic about this episode? I was worried they weren’t going to do this episode well; I was worried they were just going to do some Sarah Jane cameo, so I was very pleased to see how this one turned out. She’s back in the action, involved with the story and the reunion between her and the doctor was priceless. Sarah Jane Smith doesn’t seem to have changed at all. Yes there were flaws in this story and perhaps it was rushed but in an episode like this I have to overlook it. To me it was about Sarah Jane Smith and the development of the doctor’s character, and Rose’s reaction to her …. ( heh what would Rose have said if it were Susan?!) LOL

TheSnowLeopard wrote:
The Girl In the Fireplace
At last. A great episode. Terrific story idea. Funny, sad, intelligent and a bit scary.

This one has got to be one of my favorites if not my favorite episode from season 2. As a classic Dr. Who fan I had to get past the whole Doctor falling in love thing (as that never happens in the old shows). However I think they handled it very well and it ended up being a beautiful and sad story. Although I don’t think they would have written that story for Christopher. I think this was an example of the writers taking advantage of a young attractive doctor. But putting that aside I loved this episode. I loved the time windows linking a fifty-first century spaceship with 18th Century France. I thought it was interesting and imaginative. I really enjoyed the music for this episode as well. Definitely my favorite as far as music goes of all of the episodes.

Trying to cram a good story into 45 minutes can never be easy, but I’ll try to answer your questions about the episode as best I can Very Happy

TheSnowLeopard wrote:
(Why exactly did they want Madame de Pompadour?

They’re crazy mixed up robots. They figured they needed her because the name of the ship was S.S. Madame Du Pompadour. I don’t know who programmed the Repair Droids. It really doesn’t make sense what they are doing. As the doctor says “Why don’t you just go back to your repair yard?” I guess we have to assume that that there is some crazy malfunctions going on with the repair droids.

TheSnowLeopard wrote:
Why were they clockwork robots?

Why not? lol. I really don’t know why, but at the same time I’m not sure I see the point in wondering why in this instance.

TheSnowLeopard wrote:
And what was the significance of the broken clock?

As the Doctor puts it…
“If you were a thing that ticks and you were hiding in someone's bedroom, first thing you do: break the clock. No one notices the sound of one clock ticking, but two? You might start to wonder if you're really alone.”
The clockwork men break the clocks so they could sneak in unnoticed.

TheSnowLeopard wrote:
Bring on the cybermen!

Yes!! I can’t wait to hear what you have to say about the cybermen episode!
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Nen, you wrote an essay LOL.

Nenya18 wrote:
As a classic Dr. Who fan I had to get past the whole Doctor falling in love thing (as that never happens in the old shows).

Agreed.

I hope Rose stays in a supporting role with Mickey. I thought they found the perfect balance between the Doctor and his two assistants in the Fireplace episode. I hope the Doctor and Rose don't start a romance. Noooooooooooo

Nenya18 wrote:
As the Doctor puts it…
“If you were a thing that ticks and you were hiding in someone's bedroom, first thing you do: break the clock. No one notices the sound of one clock ticking, but two? You might start to wonder if you're really alone.”
The clockwork men break the clocks so they could sneak in unnoticed.

I forgot the Doctor said this. That makes sense. It certainly gives the episode a fairytale quality, particularly when the Doctor looks out the window at Paris (I think) in winter.

I like your new avatar. You really did like this episode. Smile
Lieutenant

aw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSnowLeopard wrote:
Wow Nen, you wrote an essay LOL.

haha I can’t help it. I get so into Dr. Who

TheSnowLeopard wrote:
I thought they found the perfect balance between the Doctor and his two assistants in the Fireplace episode.

I agree. Reminded me of the episodes with Sarah Jane Smith & Harry Sullivan, or Ian & Barbara, or Adric, Tegan & Nyssa, or Tegan & Turlough. I loved when there was more than one companion.

TheSnowLeopard wrote:
I like your new avatar. You really did like this episode. Smile

lol. Yes I did. I think the episode is very visually pleasing. The sets, costumes, colors and the décor. It was very well done.
Belgium dr_schizo
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 11329

dr_schizo is offline View user's profile Send private message dr_schizo's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

erf, i never seen any Doctor Who... Sad this serie is very mysterious for me. Though i'm very curious for a long time about this show, it seems rarely -perhaps never- broadcasted in European french-speaking countries... since 1963
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i am sure there is a French subtitle out there somewhere if you look hard enough.
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this french?
http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B000DJBHCI/sr=8-1/qid=1155250354/ref=pd_ka_1/171-4929832-8707448?ie=UTF8&s=gateway
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15

Jump to: