StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

The DE-evolution of movie soundtracks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Furyen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 196

Furyen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Furyen's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:48 am   Post subject: The DE-evolution of movie soundtracks. Reply with quote

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4976727

NPR reports a small segment towards the ever growing movies that are useing complications in their soundtracks. I, for one, really dislike Complications, Movie albums, or Music Inspired by Crap!!!!

*Unless it is sung for the movie itself.*

Rogue
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 9061

Rogue is offline View user's profile Send private message Rogue's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

There are the rare moments when a compilation succeeds on its own terms. Cameron Crowe is a good one to bring up. His Singles is a fantastic soundtrack, entirely compilation oriented.

But this is the exception. Most of the time, if a soundtrack album of songs (rather than score cues) is really excellent, it's because it was done specifically for the movie, in much the same way a score would have been done: O Brother, Where Art Thou?, A Hard Day's Night, Help, etc.

And then, of course, there are the classical compilations: Amadeus, Shine, Immortal Beloved, A Clockwork Orange. These usually succeed on their own terms very well, despite not representing the original works very well.

This is definitely something that I don't care for in general, the shoehorning of pop songs into a movie for emotional effect. Give me a great score any day. Again, there are exceptions to this rule: Crowe probably the biggest.
UK thejoyrider
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8986

thejoyrider is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View thejoyrider's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldnt say so.

take films like the punisher and daredevil. they had big compilation rock albums with exclusive tracks plus they had really strong scores which were released on seperate albums.
SilverPhantom
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 10035

SilverPhantom is offline View user's profile Send private message SilverPhantom's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that there is a place for compilations is some movies. However, they are probably being overused. Daredevil and the Punisher were done tastefully (in my opinion). Other movies have not done as good a job though.
Ensign

Member#: 12707

Jade_Kadir is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Jade_Kadir's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say that there are a few lyrical STs that I do like such as Practical Magic, Romeo + Juliet ('96), & Reality Bites. They seems to reflect the tone of the film just as much as a score would. And let's not forget Empire Records where it makes sense to do a lyrical ST because it's a movie about a music store. Cool

I think I might be a little biased because I love to sing and any time you have lyrical songs on a ST, I end up listening to them the most.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: