StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Man, I HATE this track!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:29 am   Post subject: Man, I HATE this track! Reply with quote

Okay, this is an experiment. It is bound to generate some negative energy, but it may be interesting.

Everyone has a track they can't stand. Or five. They keep getting requested. Others seem to like them. You say you don't like them, and everyone jumps down your throat.

Not in this topic. I think that with all the love-fests, all the pick-your-favorite-track topics, there could be room for a little non-love. Hate, even. This topic, if all goes well, should be a place to blow off steam. Maybe one person will say, "I hear you," and make you feel less miffed.

Here are some rules I just made up:
1) This is not the place to request tracks be removed. There is a topic for that under "Playlist." But I don't recommend it. Other people have the right to hear what they like, after all.
2) Ad hominem attacks are not welcome. We should be able to express ourselves without hurting other people. No posting, "People who like the Star Wars Main Title are so dumb because..." I think you get my drift.
3) No attacking people for posting a hate. Tastes differ.
4) Watch your language.
5) No Buffy. We all know how much that is hated, from other topics and the chat.

Okay, I'll go first, with two tracks.

"Now we are Free" - Gladiator. The eerie female vocal trick has been done to death, I think. And with no fewer than four versions of this in the playlist, it seems to pop up a lot. Once I heard it four times in one week! Gah!

"Somewhere over the Rainbow/Wonderful World" - Meet Joe Black. This song is everywhere. On Charmed. In commercials. People seem to like it. It is, actually, mildly charming. But the singer's botching of the lyrics makes me want to scream! Maybe there's a reason for it, but I just don't care.

Okay. That was me. Anyone else?
Netherlands stefan_nl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 11136

stefan_nl is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View stefan_nl's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic idea LadyInque.

Well, here are my hate-tracks.

The 'Chant' tracks from Ghost in the Shell.
I can't stand the whining kind of singing.
So I will mute everytime I'm listening and one of them is playing.
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

That 14 minute requiem on the Akira soundtrack drives me crazy! I know there are some who loves that but *gags* Razz .
Another one that grates at me is the Bombay Dreams soundtrack. It makes that power button on my speakers look mighty inviting.

Thanks for the thread Lady! It feels good to vent Wink
Cadet 3

Member#: 15371

naught_but_wyn is offline View user's profile Send private message naught_but_wyn's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the Bombay Dreams soundtrack. I nearly thought I was getting some strange cross-wire from some other web page I was viewing at that moment.

However, one must admit that there are those out there who find the Bombay Dreams soundtrack erm... refreshing. So as to speak.

~ Mark Twain on "honesty"
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I forgot about that Akira requiem. It's vaguely intriguing because the music is so, well, unique... But, oh my! And 14 minutes! Rolling Eyes

I apologize in advance to all fans of the beloved Danny Elfman, but every time those darn Oompa Loompas (2005) sing the Willy Wonka Welcome Song... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

...Where's that volume knob?!?
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is, Luther, do the 2005 Oompa-Loompas bother you more than the original? The original film still scares me, so I try to avoid its tracks. The music is fine; just bad associations.
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the Oompa-Loompas in general, either the original or the Tim Burton version... In fact, they're kind of fun.

I can even tolerate most of the songs, even the old "Oompa, Loompa, Loom-pi-ty doo!" Smile

But that welcome song... please.
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great topic!! LadyInque, you did a fabulous job setting up the parameters - easy to follow and funny, too. Very Happy

Beauty is most certainly in the eye of the beholder, and the enjoyment -or dislike- of particular pieces of music is absolutely subjective. That's why it disturbs me to see some people be so critical of others for their requests. Granted this is sometimes done in jest, and for others, they are simply jumping on the bandwagon because it's cool to poke fun of certain composers and tracks.

But some cues or albums are deserving of rotten tomatoes, and so here is my nominee: the original Fantasia album. When any of these tracks comes on, I can't hit the mute button fast enough. These classical pieces were recorded back in 1938 with Leopold Stokowski on the podium. (Yes, everybody knows that.) The cutting-edge recordings in Fantasound were amazing for their day, even though only a limited number of venues used the system. Yes, it's true that these almost 70-year old tapes have been enhanced, digitized, and reissued in a faux, quasi-surround sound that makes me want to reach for the Dramamine whenever I hear it. But no amount of audio sweetening can make those thin, tinny original recordings easy on the ears.

Every single track on this album is available in hundreds, if not thousands, of superior versions, including those of Stokowski himself.

Now if you want to talk about what's good about Fantasia, the groundbreaking animation techniques and the bringing of classical music to the masses were true milestones (even if people didn't realize it at the time). For that reason alone, the album should remain on SST.
Canada TreeBob
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5527

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice topic Lady!

Well I can honestly say I HATE 'Requiem For A Dream'!!

I cannot pick one track in particular because they are all soooo horrible! I think it is the most insane and grating music ever created. I am sure it was written that way to fit the movie. I have not seen it so I cannot say. But oh my lord!

If I can think of some others I will let you all know. Wink
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Twopop wrote:
That's why it disturbs me to see some people be so critical of others for their requests. Granted this is sometimes done in jest, and for others, they are simply jumping on the bandwagon because it's cool to poke fun of certain composers and tracks.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Two. It hurts a little when your request comes up, and people in the chat start picking on it. Or, what I find worse, when they just type "MUTE!!!" in big letters. It's immature and it's rude and it's a little mean, though I don't believe everyone means it that way.

That's why I started this thread. It puts some distance between the actual request (and the person requesting it) and the griping, which is legitimate. And just because someone hates a track here, doesn't mean you can't request it.

I found your review of the Fantasia tracks enlightening. I recently purchased the 2-Disc set, used, for about $8. For the tracks I want, I could probably have done better for the money. I'll have to keep my eyes open.

And Treebob, the music might be better in context. But if you hate it that much, watching the movie probably won't be a pleasant experience. I've heard the film is a colossal downer, and so many people have told me I MUST see it that it's unlikely I ever will.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guilty of the "MUTE!" attack, but I don't think that anybody is offended or feels attacked by it. Perhaps I need to rethink that. I'm OK with anybody picking anything they want (I've even been the victim of malicious requesting on multiple occasions), but if you can pick what you want then I can not like it if I want. No personal attacks intended.

jeff
sdg
Dufresne
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 5408

Dufresne is offline View user's profile Send private message Dufresne's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:

That's why I started this thread. It puts some distance between the actual request (and the person requesting it) and the griping, which is legitimate. And just because someone hates a track here, doesn't mean you can't request it.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but what's the difference between ripping a track here, and doing it in chat? I mean, if "It hurts a little when your request comes up, and people in the chat start picking on it." then isn't that what this thread is doing?

It's hard for me because;
A) I'm opiniated and
B) I care about the people that I've met here and don't like being a Bogart by insulting their requests, which I've done before.

There really isn't a nice way to say "that stinks", so I say either go with it and say what you want in chat/forum or just try to not bum people out at all with criticism (what I try to do, try).

I guess if it makes you feel better to vent in the Forum, then go ahead but I don't see the difference.

Dufresne

p.s. Twopop, you're wicked smaaht about soundtracks!
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the difference Dufresne is if you do it here in the forums you are able to more fully explain why you do not like a track instead of just simply saying a track sux. I also think it is better to make such comments in the forums because there is no name attached to a request of a song so you are not directly attacking a persons request.

As long as you can discuss why you do not like a track I think a topic like this can exist and create conversation. It is just important not to get defensive, not everyone is going to like what I like and I am not going to always like what others like. That is the beauty of art, there is something for everyone to enjoy.

Personally, I don't like to focus on the negative aspect but I think if done correctly you might gain a better perspective on why people do not like certain things and maybe that can allow you to experience the music differently than you had before.

Well there is my rambling in response to Dufresne's post, hope it makes some sense Very Happy .
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dufresne wrote:

I'm not trying to start a fight, but what's the difference between ripping a track here, and doing it in chat? I mean, if "It hurts a little when your request comes up, and people in the chat start picking on it." then isn't that what this thread is doing?

The difference is distance. If my request comes up and someone in chat starts picking on it, the effect is immediate. And sometimes it's hard not to take it personally. You requested a track, and someone tells you that they hate it. This has happened to me.

But people are allowed to hate stuff. But if you "rip" a track in the forum, the person requesting may never see it. For example, I have requested Buffy before. Now, even a casual glance through the forums tells me some people hate that soundtrack. It doesn't bother me. Then I know it's nothing personal. Ripping on my request as it plays feels more personal to me, even if it isn't intended that way.

It's one thing to hate a guy's tie, and complain about it with friends. It's another to tell him to his face. That's how I see the difference.

And no one should take a posting on this forum to mean that they can't request something. Just like hearing people pick their favorite Star Wars cue doesn't mean I have to like or request it.

Okay, enough overthinking. Anyone else got a track that drives them nuts?
Dufresne
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 5408

Dufresne is offline View user's profile Send private message Dufresne's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

natedogg_23 wrote:
I think the difference Dufresne is if you do it here in the forums you are able to more fully explain why you do not like a track instead of just simply saying a track sux. I also think it is better to make such comments in the forums because there is no name attached to a request of a song so you are not directly attacking a persons request.

That makes sense. With a name attached it can become an attack on the requestor, in the forum it is a critique of the track. hmm, right on.

LadyInque wrote:
The difference is distance.

That makes sense too. It's talking about a track and not somebodies request that they've waited hours for only to see it shredded right before their eyes. Cool, thanks for explaining, I get it I think ,and I see the value in having a thread like this now.

That having been said *cracks knuckles*
man, I HATE;
"Overture-And All That Jazz" from Chicago, everytime I think it's about to end it winds up for another refrain and the beating continues. uggh.

~Dufresne~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: