StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What is your favorite M. Night Shyamalan movie?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 

What is your favorite M. Night Shyamalan movie?
The Sixth Sense
26%
 26%  [ 9 ]
Unbreakable
26%
 26%  [ 9 ]
Signs
23%
 23%  [ 8 ]
The Village
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
Lady In The Water
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 34

Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:03 am   Post subject: What is your favorite M. Night Shyamalan movie? Reply with quote

Lady In The Water has just opened to poor reviews and mediocre box office. So how do you view his career so far? Is Night on a downward spiral or can he bounce back?

My choice was easier to make here than with the score. I picked The Sixth Sense, his first (well, actually his third film) and his best. The casting, location, direction, music are all perfect for the story being told. Each of Night's films since then has been worse than the one before.

Last edited by TheSnowLeopard on Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:27 am; edited 1 time in total
France Alchemist VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see The Village nor Lady in the Water. From the remaining three, I think I appreciate Unbreakable the most Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It is custom that a poll starter always explains his own choice. It is a forum not a questionaire or whatever you spell that.
USA sunshinegirl
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 11852

sunshinegirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View sunshinegirl's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed Signs, I have watched everything else but his new one, Lady. I just think the cast in Signs was the best one.
USA Nenya18
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 6272

Nenya18 is offline View user's profile Send private message View Nenya18's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've liked all three of the movies I've seen by him. I've seen Signs, The Village, and Lady in the Water. My vote goes to Signs for my favorite.
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo: There's a monster outside my room, can I have a glass of water?
-----------------------------------------------------
Graham Hess: People break down into two groups when the experience something lucky. Group number one sees it as more than luck, more than coincidence. They see it as a sign, evidence, that there is someone up there, watching out for them. Group number two sees it as just pure luck. Just a happy turn of chance. I'm sure the people in Group number two are looking at those fourteen lights in a very suspicious way. For them, the situation isn't fifty-fifty. Could be bad, could be good. But deep down, they feel that whatever happens, they're on their own. And that fills them with fear. Yeah, there are those people. But there's a whole lot of people in the Group number one. When they see those fourteen lights, they're looking at a miracle. And deep down, they feel that whatever's going to happen, there will be someone there to help them. And that fills them with hope. See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?
Merrill: One time, I was at this party... and I was sitting on the couch with Amanda McKinney. She was just sitting there, looking beautiful. So, I lean in to kiss her, and I realize I have gum in my mouth. So, I turn to spit it out and put it in a paper cup. I turn back, and Amanda McKinney throws up all over herself. I knew the moment it happened, it was a miracle. I could have been kissing her when she threw up. It would have scarred me for life. I may never have recovered.
Merill: I'm a miracle man
Graham Hess: "I am insane with anger!"
Merrill: "Move Children! Vamanos!"
Morgan: Dad? What happened? Did someone save me?
Graham Hess: Yeah, Baby, I think someone did.
Merill: Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?
Officer Caroline: I'm not done asking questions. And I don't appreciate sarcasm.
I think needless to say I am a huge fan of the movie "Signs". The actors are wonderful. Gibson is great, Phoenix cracks me up and does great as Merill, Bo is adorable.

So, my vote definitely goes for Signs although I did enjoy his other movies excluding Lady in the Water (as I have not seen it yet). Sixth Sense was a very good movie also with Osment and Willis doing a great job. Unbreakable was a very original idea and while the first time I saw it was so so I think I might like it more after another viewing. Village had a ton of potential and was a pretty good movie overall I thought but could have been better.

Well that is just my two cents worth!
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Signs is by far my favorite of the bunch. I can do without the Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.
Cadet 3

Member#: 14913

indigo is offline View user's profile Send private message indigo's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually voted for Lady in the Water. I really liked the movie, and thought it was something totally different from anything I've seen. It would have been worse for him to keep staying in the suprise-ending genre, it was getting old. He's trying to stay new. From what I hear, there is as many good reviews as bad, and either people LOVED it or HATED it. Usually people that Hated it felt that Pirates 2 was a masterpiece of film. So, I leave it at that.
USA RobW720
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 12946

RobW720 is offline View user's profile Send private message View RobW720's Favorites
AIM Address
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i hated... HATED lady in the water. I left the theater, not just un amused and upset, but pissed off. maybe i just set too high of expectations or something cause i really like his flicks, but that one stunk.

I really liked his other flicks. Signs was ok up untill the end and Village was predictable and climaxed about 45 minutes before the end but they were all enjoyable flicks... cept LitW
USA Lieserl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 9262

Lieserl is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Lieserl's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:16 am   Post subject: .... Reply with quote

i've got a lot of love for M Night movies. i like his casting, I like his stories, I like his dialogue (most times), i like his cinemetography, and the James Newton Howard scores cannot go without mention.

So. A Lies review in brief.

Sixth Sense - good. I've only seen it once so thats all i can say.

Unbreakable - My absolute favorite of the Night movies. I can watch this movie again and again and never get sick of it. Even wiith the ending that pisses everyone off, I still love it. For me its a wonderful, quiet, subtle movie. ("No shooting friends, Joseph!")

Signs - M Night does Hollywood. I like this one for its ability to create suspenseful situations with what you dont see. The humor in it is hilarious. ("AHHHH!!!! I am insane with anger!!!") The only movie i've ever screamed at. (that hand in the basement scene 0_o)

The Village - a great setup and story, but fell a bit flat for me. Some honestly creepy scenes though. Great cast. Awesome creature design.

Lady in the Water - I was soo excited for this one, and it disappointed me greatly. No story arc, dialogue that made me actually cringe. Wonderful cinemetography though. Some good characters: the movie critic, the boy who reads cereal boxes. And thanks, M Night, for providing every racial stereotype, all in one movie!

so there ya go.
~

<a href="https://twitter.com/TiffanyTurrill">Twitter</a>

naught_but_wyn
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 15371

naught_but_wyn is offline View user's profile Send private message naught_but_wyn's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and The Village.

I voted for Sxith Sense. I thought it was the best, and incidentally, it was the first of his movies I've seen.

The Village was interesting, but what happened to the poor village idiot at the end was sad. Still, Sixth Sense gets the vote from me, for being the most, for lack of a better word, satisfying.

~ Mark Twain on "honesty"
Belgium dr_schizo
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 11329

dr_schizo is offline View user's profile Send private message dr_schizo's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! i'm baffled that "signs" have a score like that... i really dislike this movie, for me the worst work of Shyamalan... a non-sens stuff...
anyway i really liked "Unbreakable" and "The Village"... my vote for "Unbreakable"
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

This was almost a toss-up for me, but I went with Unbreakable. The whole idea was so cool... but as a friend of mine said, "Yes, but it could have been sooo much cooler..." Cool

Sixth Sense was good, but I think someone spoiled it for me, because as I recall, I saw the ending coming from the very beginning.

Signs would have been good, but c'mon: Spoiler:
These aliens mastered interstellar travel, yet they don't have any technology that can protect their frail little bodies from water?--WATER?!?
You gotta be kidding me... Rolling Eyes

I loved The Village as well... I knew something was odd about that bunch, but I did not see the ending coming.

I have not seen Lady in the Water yet, but hope to catch it on DVD someday.

I think M. Night has some work to do if we wants his career to continue. Either he should let someone else direct one of his scripts, or he should direct someone else's script. I think that would put fresh wind in his sails....
Wink
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorites are Sixth Sense, Signs, and Unbreakable.

M. Night is going to do Avatar based on a kid's cartoon. Seems like he's doing films that his kids can watch.

Finally saw Lady in the Water and it wasn't that bad - thought it had some interesting ideas about the fluidity of storytelling and accepting oneself.

I think the main problem with the film was that the characters suspended disbelief way too early and didn't carry the audience along with them. There was a story arc in Cleveland Heep's transformation, but his monologue towards the end which was supposed to be the big emotional moment fell short.

Overall, it's a unique effort, a modern day fairy tale, but faltered a bit in its execution.
UK neowardog
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 16905

neowardog is offline View user's profile Send private message neowardog's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think The Sixth Sense was the best, but I haven't seen Lady In The Water so I can't say anything about that one. Although James Newton Howard's best M Night score is The Village by far
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: