StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Copy-protection Technology

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:12 pm   Post subject: Copy-protection Technology Reply with quote

While reading thru the Techtips section of a software provider today, I came across a topic called "CD or Not CD? That is the Question". Posted below is an edited version I'd like to get your feedback on.

It's about the "new" audio discs. Is this really new or has it been around a while? It sounds almost like scare tactics or an urban legend. But I don't want to take any chances either. Any light you knowledgeable techies can shed on this will be most welcome!

"There's a new audio disc hitting the shelves these days that you will undoubtedly encounter. On the outside and inside, the disc resembles a typical audio CD. There is a difference however. This shiny new audio disc can crash your PC or Macintosh®.

The new audio disc—although you can't see the difference—is manufactured using copy-protection technology. This technology is designed to prevent the copying of the disc's contents. Technically speaking, the disc isn't a true audio CD. The official CD logo is nowhere to be seen on the disc or the packaging.

A close inspection of the disc and its packaging—you will want to look for this—will reveal a statement similar to the following: "Will not play on PC/MAC."

The headache that this copy-protected audio disc can cause to the uninformed computer user is no laughing matter. System crashes, lock-ups, gray screens and drives that refuse to open after inserting a copy-protected disc have all occurred. In some instances, basic troubleshooting didn't resolve the issue, and you know what that means.

It appears that copy-protection technology is on its way to becoming an industry standard despite present weaknesses. As the recording industry continues along this path, it is important that you read the fine print on your favorite artist's latest release before you eagerly pop it into your computer's CD or DVD drive. The words "Will not play…" mean what they say.

For additional information about copy-protection technology and how it will affect you, enter any of the following words or related terms into the search field of your favorite search engine: "copy-protection technology," "CD will not play," "Key2Audio™."
France Alchemist VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Two! Smile

Unfortunatly, it's no urban legend but reality, although this article is of course very short and biased.

You can indeed recognize a protected CD by the absence of the compact disc logo. This logo is owned by Philips and the firm doesn't allow its use on non standard CDs.

As for the crashes and so on, there has been a scandal recently about Sony hidding some kind of bad software (malware) on audio CDs. Search for sony & rootkit in google for more information.

I (personally) don't buy protected CDs. I think the way they're protected is unacceptable.

There are some links with recent law projects : see Webcast / new RIAA BS rules thread.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

April's fool?
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Al! From what you say, they're not that common (yet). That's a relief. But I'm still going to look for the CD logo from now on.

Cal, LOL.

btw - I read this on the Broderbund web site.
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately only a couple CDs out of SST's library are "protected". The one I can think of now is Good Bye Lenin.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up, Two.

I purchased V for Vendetta on ebay. When the CD arrived yesterday I noticed the Copy-Protection Technology logo. Sad The seller was from Australia so I'll have to double check if this is a locally manufactured CD. Has anyone else seen this logo on a V for Vendetta CD?

From what I have read here and on other websites, this means I can't copy the music to my PC or any portable player. This effectively makes this CD a inferior product IMO because I can't play the music for my own personal enjoyment using hardware of my own choosing like I can with all my other CD's.
Cadet 3

Member#: 15371

naught_but_wyn is offline View user's profile Send private message naught_but_wyn's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:
Fortunately only a couple CDs out of SST's library are "protected". The one I can think of now is Good Bye Lenin.

Thanks for the warning. Does anyone else know about these CDs? And do these CDs crash your computer immediately or only when you try to play it?
France Alchemist VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

That's bad SnowLeopard. Unfortunatly, this kind of copy protection only annoys regular users, not the ones who are stealing music.

Naught_but_wyn, these protections are usually not crashing your computer but installs a piece of software that will control the way you access the CD.

You can find audio protected cds lists by googling a bit. For instance, check the following page (unfortunatly not updated anymore): http://www.ukcdr.org/issues/cd/bad/

Hope this helps Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Alchemist - wow, thanks for that link!

I don't know if this is copy protection, but I tried to listen to Le Miroir de L'eau (Stéphane Moucha, Fifty label), and it wouldn't play on any of my PCs. Played fine in any compact disc player - just not any computer CD drives.
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've discovered a bit more about this technology. When I loaded V For Vendetta onto my computer, it opened up a new Audio Player which I had seen once before when I loaded Fateless by Ennio Morricone. I went back to check the CD and sure enough, the Copy Controlled label was also on that cover.

Here are more signs that your CD is Copy Protected:

Cactus Data Shield 200
A CDS200 protected audio cd can be recognized by visual inspection as follows:
1. Copyright statement refering to Midbar Tech, Tel-Aviv, Israel somewhere on the front/back cover or inlay.
2. Availability of the Cactusplayer (= proprietary mp3-player) when cd is inserted in a cd-rom player.
3. Availability of the hidden textfile 'versions.txt' in the datatrack. In this file the used version of CDS200 is mentioned.

Here are the logos that appear on the CD.

Instead of that middle logo, my CD's have an image of a compact disc. In fact, all 3 logos appear, so I can play it on my PC and stereo.

I haven't yet tried to rip the tracks to my computer hardrive, but I am expecting to hear some kind of interference when I play it back.
Cadet 3

Member#: 15371

naught_but_wyn is offline View user's profile Send private message naught_but_wyn's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

When I played a CD about a year back, it opened a new audio player which I had not seen before. It was Maksim's Variations. But I don't think it's done anything to my computer since... I'm still using it to type this entry, for example.

Or is it some other type of audio player?

~ Wyn

~ Mark Twain on "honesty"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: