StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Suggestion about requests
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA jk2silly VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

Member#: 30

jk2silly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View jk2silly's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 8:07 am   Post subject: Suggestion about requests Reply with quote

Jeric,
It was suggested in the chat (by Evilkitty) that an option be included in teh request pages that would "disable" songs untill they are available to play again. Wolf thinks that is 99 songs. If these songs could be "disabled" then a persons request would not be wasted on a song that is not going to play. This would be a change to your code of the request page and not require you to change your policy of 3 requests per hour. Let us know what you think. We all agree that 3 per hour is a good amount but we all HATE loosing a request to the "recently played" message.
Ensign

Member#: 31
Location: Virginia - Some say a state of mind, not me mind you. ;)

T2 is offline View user's profile Send private message T2's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:16 pm   Post subject: Suggestion about requests Reply with quote

Recent requests... yeah... that reminds me.. it used to be as soon as the song fell to somewhere past the 21st spot ... ie 20 being the total in the list shown... that you could request that song again... but that seems to have changed over the past week or two?

As for "loosing" the request, I just took it for granted.... if it was in the queue list visibly, and I requested it, that it would deny me and I'd loose that choice. But now that the "recently played" keys off of songs I can't see ... I don't know I'm going to loose the choice.

If we could see the list to the cut off point... that would probably also help.
Cadet 1

Member#: 12910

Viable is offline View user's profile Send private message Viable's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to to see when a user last requested by timestamp, so that you don't get the requested too early error. I hope of course I haven't missed it and it is already there lol.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: Well, it looks like it's not set up that way for non-VIPs, so I wasted a whole post. I thought it was worth enough to keep it around, though. I'll just hide it with spoiler tags (except for the colored parts, I guess).

Spoiler:

That's a great idea. You could have a section on the left side of the site that says something like

Your Request: Ready

or give the time until your request it ready like

Your Request: 10:38

Oh, and maybe you could include something that tells you how long the request wait time is too.

Request Wait: 10 Minutes

for example.

Maybe you could put it near the top, under the Listen section or something.

Wink

Welcome to SST, Viable. Please don't be offended by the sarcasm you'll often find here. It's (usually) all in good fun. Please take time to read the FAQ pages. Enjoy the music.

(And, of course, if this is only available for VIPs then the joke's on me.)

Edit: Looks like the joke is on me. So, why can't this be available for everybody? I'm sure there's a good reason that I've forgotten about.

jeff
sdg
iro_007
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 9445

iro_007 is offline View user's profile Send private message iro_007's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree, we should be able to re-request a song at least 5hrs after it has been played
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by "re-request" a song, iro_007? Currently when a song plays it cannot be requested again for 8 days. This is done to keep SST from becoming "Streaming-mostly-star-wars-and-lord-of-the-rings-and-sometimes-somebody-slips-something-else-cool-into-the-queue.com"

jeff
sdg
Patje
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 482

Patje is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Patje's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

iro_007 wrote:
i agree, we should be able to re-request a song at least 5hrs after it has been played

Not gonna happen. We have had dozens of discussions in the forums about this subject. There's a reason why you can't repeat a song for over 8 days.

When a SST released a new popular soundtrack everyone wants to hear it, for instance Star Wars III. When the repeat-time is set on 5 hours, everybody wil request the same ST over and over and over again. You'll hear the same thing the whole day. And that's the reason why it's set at 8 days, so there is a lot of variation in the queue.

Grtz
Patje
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 9445

iro_007 is offline View user's profile Send private message iro_007's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

then y not a day or 2, 8 days seems a little too long, if the song is good then it should be played
Auroter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 13482

Auroter is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Auroter's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with this however is that people will simply keep requesting the handful of what they consider the very best tracks and none of the rest of the extensive archive will ever be heard. This site is not only for listening to great soundtracks, but discovering others as well. An 8-day no-repeat ensures that you'll hear something you've never heard before and maybe discover a new soundtrack that you'll come to love.
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Auroter wrote:
An 8-day no-repeat ensures that you'll hear something you've never heard before and maybe discover a new soundtrack that you'll come to love.

Here Here! Very Happy
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI:

It used to be 7 day repeat, but it went to 8 days because we ended up having the Monday Playlist, Friday Playlist, etc.

If you want to hear a song that frequently maybe you should purchase the CD.

jeff
sdg
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

j2brown wrote:
If you want to hear a song that frequently maybe you should purchase the CD.

Good point J2!

As long as SST playlist is growing, the only reasonable way for "No Repeats time" to change (worth talking about) is up.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I didn't like the 8 day no repeats, but have come to enjoy it. I'd support a longer no repeat cycle as well.

jeff
sdg
Caliburn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Being in the situation where we had a one day no repeat (maybe it was even shorter?) I definately do not want to go back to less than 8 days.

We can throw away 80% of our collection then.
USA megadith
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 82

megadith is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website megadith's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

holy old posts batman
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: