StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Chat option...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
gecko
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 14

gecko is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website gecko's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:17 pm   Post subject: Chat option... Reply with quote

I was wondering if it would be difficult to have the IP addresses of the people talking in the chat frame to be visible. For some reason I think it would be useful.

But I don't know, maybe it would take up too much of the chat window. Anyway, just tossing the idea out.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 4:47 pm   Post subject: Chat option... Reply with quote

Making someones IP public is not a good idea. It makes you more vulnerable for hack attacks.
gecko
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

gecko is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website gecko's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 10:32 pm   Post subject: Chat option... Reply with quote

Oh yeah, "hack attacks" . . . It's not bad really. That's usually not much of a problem, especially nowadays.. it's mostly just script kiddies who do that and a lot of people are already patched/protected from the main stuff. Besides, it's easy to just put a *** or something where the cyclic number is.
USA T2
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 31
Location: Virginia - Some say a state of mind, not me mind you. ;)

T2 is offline View user's profile Send private message T2's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 12:52 am   Post subject: Chat option... Reply with quote

what would you want their IP for?

I mean... I can see reasons for the SITE to log ip's to help identify abusive people, however just any joe schmo .... no..

I would rather not have a script kid come after my ip simply "because its there" ... as the old adage says about climbing that mountain...

And besides... randomly posting IP's is not hot for the simple fact that if you're on a dynamic IP scheme ... your ip gets taken away and given to someone else, the script kiddie sees an old ip... goes after it, and some unsuspecting casualty of the net occurs.

And don't give me that.. "everyone with broadband is static", because in fact, its not true. Only a few providers give "free" static ip's out, 90% of the broadband providers use static IP addressing as a means to eek out more $$$ from customers. While many people *can* keep the same IP for a very long time, the chances are alsawys good they'll get bumped sometime or loose connection accidentally, and when their router connects they could get a different ip.

[Smile]
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:25 am   Post subject: Chat option... Reply with quote

Haha. You guys better fear IRC then.
USA Morg VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 57

Morg is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Morg's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:17 am   Post subject: Chat option... Reply with quote

Only fear IRC if you have stupid admins who allow your IP to be seen. A smart IRC admin (like myself) would be sure to have an IRC Server setup with IP masking setup [Smile]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 3:29 pm   Post subject: Chat option... Reply with quote

Yes, stupid admins, do not blame the users. [Smile]
USA Morg VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 57

Morg is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Morg's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 3:51 pm   Post subject: Chat option... Reply with quote

hehehe....well, sometimes you do get stupid users too [Wink]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:37 pm   Post subject: Chat option... Reply with quote

Yep, stupid users, they're all over... 12 year olds from the US all over the net are going crazy all over and other people from other countries see them and are like.. 'My God, people from the USA are horrible!'
Okay, back to the topic...
It's no more dangerous to chat with an unmasked host/ip than it is to surf the web though. If someone really wants your IP, they're going to get it. You just have to have protection.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:27 pm   Post subject: Chat option... Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gecko:
Haha. You guys better fear IRC then.

lol, I spend hours in IRC [Smile] I know that an IP can be seen in IRC. It is not that I fear hacks, I have a windows machine on a T3 connection without firewall what so ever: I am mostly in the chat at work, so I don't care about hack attacks. They can do what they want to with my PC at work [Smile]

But I would prefer that in IRC the IP is not shown too. Unfortunately that is not true.
gecko
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:45 pm   Post subject: Chat option... Reply with quote

I don't think anyone should be worried about being the actual victim of an attack. You're not important enough for that. Unless you go out and intentionally chat around with script kiddies and piss them off, you're prone to a little DoS attack. What you should be worrying about is having an attack launched from your computer and having the blame put on you. Wouldn't that be awesome?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: