StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Queue Emergency Information Thread, maybe?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:58 am   Post subject: Queue Emergency Information Thread, maybe? Reply with quote

As many of you know, at this point, the queue is down. The music is playing, but the website component is all wonky.

This happens sometimes. I'm not bothered by it. I was wondering what was going on. I thought of asking in the chat, but I'm sure the question has been asked and answered so much that they're sick of talking about it.

Might it make sense to have a thread where just admins or such could post, offering information about big problems with the station? Not little hiccups or dropped streams. But big issues, like the site being, well, wonky. I image it a bit like a school or business's weather phone line. Normally, when the sun is shining, there is no message. But if there is a snowstorm or a tornado on the way, there is a recording with important information, so the people answering the phones don't have to answer the same question dozens of times..

I remember a few months ago when we switched to the new streams. In chat, they kept referring us to the thread that explained it all, with a big link that said something like "Having Trouble Streaming today?" I found that helpful.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

As of now, the admins are busy fixing the issue, and likely won't have time to update a thread until the issue is solved, at which point it won't much matter.

That's all I know at the moment.

jeff
sdg
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on what I read J2Brown, I think the concept was more of a long term type thing rather than this single incident. I think Ladyinque was curious about the current incident but thought it would be usueful to have a thread that could be updated if something like this occured again. I could be way off base, and correct me if I am wrong Ladyinque, but that is the impression I got and I think it would be a useful idea to have implemented.

Nate

Shocked Capitalized handle, where I don't see not stinkin incorrectly capitalized handle Laughing

Last edited by Nate on Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right, nate.

In any case, JERIC came into chat within a few mins of me posting and explained that there was a database issue that we being resolved.

jeff
sdg
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you both make valid points.

j2 - You're right. When the admins are trying to fix a bug so that people can listen to music again in the shortest amount of time possible, probably the last thing they need to worry about is updating a thread.

Nate - You got everyting right except where I capitalize my handle. And I still think such a thread might be a useful thing, in the long term. Now, I was in the chat this morning, when JERIC came on (the gods do walk among humans) and described the situation to us. That was great. He answered questions, reassured people, and graciously accepted kudos.

And if there were a thread with similar information, people could get updates later, without the chat having to repeat it.
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think LadyInque's idea is interesting.

But maybe it would be enough - in case of technical problems occuring - to put short "Queue Emergency Information" displayed at the homepage or - let's say - at the queue page (I imagine something like sign saying something like: "Listeners may encounter a problem. We work on it. Be patient, please") After the problem is fixed - the sign goes off.

Such sign might be a quick and very helpful info for all listeners and visitors entering the site that are not lucky enough to find quick info in chat.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a sign today that said something like "under repair".

jeff
sdg
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

j2brown wrote:
There was a sign today that said something like "under repair".

Works for me.
The shorter the better. Wink

Caliburn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

We pop by in the chat most of the time to say that we are working on it. We can better spend time to fix stuff than making posts about it.
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:35 pm   Post subject: Re: Queue Emergency Information Thread, maybe? Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
Might it make sense to have a thread where just admins or such could post, offering information about big problems with the station?

Actually it isn't a half bad idea. I know how frustrating it can be when the "site's all wonky" and you don't have a clue what's wrong, or how long it'll be down, or even worse, if anyone in charge knows there's a problem.

Usually what happens is what happened today: Jeric popped into chat to say briefly what was wrong and that the Admins were taking care of it. The Admins try very hard to go into chat and let people know they're on it - especially if it's a "big" problem and not just a hiccup. Today was "big". So after that no one had time to chat.

We'll always try to keep you informed via chat, and will discuss your "Emergency Messages Forum" as well.
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The thread could also be used to let people know ahead of time if the site will be down for maintenance of repair or replacing something too. So it could serve to make aware of events ahead of time as well.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

My years here tell me that no matter what you do, a thread in the forum or an announcement on the homepage, you'll still have folks pouring in to chat asking "Why can't I get the site to work?". As tempting as it is to say "It's a reading comprehension problem" we usually offer actual answers and information.

jeff
sdg
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

Member#: 7505
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas, formerly from the Heart of Dixie

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

natedogg_23 wrote:
The thread could also be used to let people know ahead of time if the site will be down for maintenance of repair or replacing something too. So it could serve to make aware of events ahead of time as well.

JERIC already does that if it's something known ahead of time.
Captain

aw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that thur, I am simply saying that a thread topic like this could serve a dual purposes. To keep the masses informed of events ahead of time and also to keep people informed on corrective actions being taken to fix something. Personally, I am not too concerned, if the site is down then I am sure something is being done about it and I move on with my day at that point. I was just offering ideas based on other opinions.
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

j2brown wrote:
My years here tell me that no matter what you do, a thread in the forum or an announcement on the homepage, you'll still have folks pouring in to chat asking "Why can't I get the site to work?".

You are totally right J2! Smile

But I think it would be nice habit to put up any kind of stationary info or sign for all the others.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: