StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Artist Corrections for Album/Playlist/Request module

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:06 pm   Post subject: Artist Corrections for Album/Playlist/Request module Reply with quote

The response to submit corrections via the new module has been fantastic. Thank you all so much!

However, a problem has come up that we did not anticipate. Some of the Artist corrections have been about changing the artist to a person who is actually the "performer" of particular track. As much as I would like to have that feature, SST is not currently set up to show Artist (Composer) and performer as 2 separate fields.

The problem comes when I add performers to several tracks of an album, they all show up in the Artist field, and it begins to get very cluttered. It also gives the false impression that that performer played a greater role in the composing of the score than the actual composer.

So we need to clarify what we're after for a correction in the Artist field:

1) If the Artist listed did not compose the track, we want to know who did write it. Example: The Truman Show, #08 "Romance-largetto" was changed from Burhard Dallwitz & Philip Glass to Frederic Chopin.

2) If the track is composed by the Artist listed but there is a very prominent performance by another artist, we can add that name. Example: Troy, #12 "Remember Me" shows James Horner, and we added Josh Groban because he is very much associated with that piece.

I don't want to discourage anyone from submitting any correction they feel is important. Please do write a note in the comment section. That is a big help.

If a change you submitted does not show up after a week or so, you'll know we decided to leave it the way it was originally.

Thanks again to all the SST editors out there! Smile
Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

*salutes* Yes, Ma'am! Cool
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your fantastic (and fast!) work, Twopop! Very Happy

I had also been noticing the problem you mention.

So, when names are added to the artist fields of particular tracks, are those names then automatically added to the album artist list? Even when only composers are added, this can clutter the field a bit. Example: Star Wars EpI includes the ubiquitous "Fox Fanfare" by Alfred Newman, and now the artist list for the album is shown as "Alfred Newman, John Williams". This can be a bit confusing.

There's probably no way to avoid it, unless album artist fields are entered manually. Neutral And the limits you have suggested seem to be reasonable.

So, keep up the good work!
Wink

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther_III wrote:
So, when names are added to the artist fields of particular tracks, are those names then automatically added to the album artist list?

Yes.
And no way to override it manually.

Luther_III wrote:
Star Wars EpI includes the ubiquitous "Fox Fanfare" by Alfred Newman, and now the artist list for the album is shown as "Alfred Newman, John Williams". This can be a bit confusing.

Shocked Yikes! We can't have that.

Probably the best solution is to list the performer (or in your example, the less prominent composer) in parentheses in the track title.

Thanks for pointing that out.
gecko
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 14

gecko is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website gecko's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, I couldn't find the other thread for playlist corrections so I'll post here.
For Roving Mars Philip Glass's name is incorrectly spelled with two l's.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thread is locked because you're supposed to submit corrections from the album page.

Follow the link under Options, or go here in your case:

http://www.streamingsoundtracks.com/modules.php?name=Album&action=newcorrection&asin=B000FP2ZUS

jeff
sdg
gecko
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 14

gecko is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website gecko's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, duh. I am so behind on this thing. May someone else learn from my unattentiveness. Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

j2brown wrote:
The other thread is locked because you're supposed to submit corrections from the album page.

Thanks, J2.
Gecko, got your correction via the right channel and will take care of it. Thx.

btw - The previous Bug Playlist forum here is locked, but it is still very high on my To Do list. Get a little more done each day and will keep at it till all your corrections have been added.
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use the correction page. However, I don't think this issue applies...

Yesterday a track from Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins was requested. What played was not from Remo. It was, I think, from Hitari! by Mancini. I can not be sure though. The title that showed on my player went away before I could write it down. Sad

edit: probably should add that the track is Log Chase on the Remo ST.

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance when you noticed this it was around a song transition or maybe your title streaming wasn't updating?

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeric

I don't think it was a case of a song transition or of the title not updating. I was waiting to hear the song myself and was surprised that the title didn't match. I checked the queue for conformation, but there wasn't any track from Hitari! there.

Also, after the track had played, the title reflected what was in the queue. And the Now Playing frame was still counting down the track from Remo while the next (correct) song in the queue was playing. I should note that the track before was correct as well.

I hope this clears things up a bit. I know it's a lot of trouble to go through if it turns out to be a wild goose chase and I wish I had more info to help.

The only way to be sure, imo, is to play the track again and watch what happens.

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of tracks from "Imaginaerum; the Score"
by Nightwish haven not reappeared after the restoration of the lost data.

take a look at my collection: My album list
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: