StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What is your favorite score to a M. Night Shyamalan movie?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 

What is your favorite score to a M. Night Shyamalan movie?
The Sixth Sense
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Unbreakable
21%
 21%  [ 6 ]
Signs
21%
 21%  [ 6 ]
The Village
46%
 46%  [ 13 ]
Lady In The Water
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 28

Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:04 am   Post subject: What is your favorite score to a M. Night Shyamalan movie? Reply with quote

All scores composed by James Newton Howard. It has been one of the most successful composer/director partnerships of recent times. Choosing the best is going to be tough. In the end it was a fight between The Sixth Sense and The Village. Even though The Sixth Sense is a personal favorite, I'll give the nod to The Village. It's a lovely score and JNH received a well deserved Oscar nomination for his work.

Last edited by TheSnowLeopard on Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total
France Alchemist VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose Signs as this is the only soundtrack I have in this list so far. I think I'll have to hear the Village more carefully as it seems to be a very good score!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

See my other post
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say my favorite is Signs. There's something unique about that one Smile
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 6272

Nenya18 is offline View user's profile Send private message View Nenya18's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The Village for me. It's such a beautiful score and the violin solos are haunting. This one gets my vote!
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is a much tougher choice for me compared to the movie thread. I still would say that the Village is my favorite of all the JNH scores, but only by a smidge over Lady in the Water and Signs.

Village just has some wonderful violin work and a certain beauty to it. The Gravel Road and The Vote are by far my favorite tracks.

Lady in the Water has some wonderful moments and maybe after a few more listens could rank tied with the Village as my favorite. The Blue World theme is frickin amazing and all the variations of the theme throughout the score are absolutely wonderful. The Healing and the Great Eatlon are absolutely wonderful tracks.

Signs I think is a slightly scarier score that has many moments of hope in the scoring. The best tracks on this one are by far Hands of Fate - Parts 1 and 2.

Unbreakable I never got into all that much, but has many enjoyable parts especially the Weightlifting track.

Sixth Sense I have never devoted a ton of listening time to which could be saying something. I think right now this is probably my least favorite of all of them, but as I said I have not heard it in a while so maybe another spin would garner a better listening experience than before.

Well there is another two cents worth. So combined with the movie thread you have gotten four cents of my thoughts Shocked Laughing .
USA tranzishun
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 2223

tranzishun is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View tranzishun's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The Village!!!!!!! but i haven't heard Lady yet so yeah..
JeromeMorrow
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 14078

JeromeMorrow is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website JeromeMorrow's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard Lady in the Water either, and Signs works brilliantly in the film (the opening/closing cues are incredible), but The Village takes it for me. Hilary Hahn's performance is wonderful.
USA Lieserl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 9262

Lieserl is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Lieserl's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:14 am   Post subject: .... Reply with quote

ooh this was a tough one.

i voted lady in the water.
my favorite has always been unbreakable, but after hearing lady in the water, well it was kindof a tie.

there ya go. Cool~

<a href="https://twitter.com/TiffanyTurrill">Twitter</a>

Deus_Ex_Machina
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 15521

Deus_Ex_Machina is offline View user's profile Send private message Deus_Ex_Machina's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at this from two angles:

Which is my favorite IN the context of the film, and which is my favorite as a standalone piece of music.

Signs stands out to me as one of the best suited scores overall in the last several years. It's some of Howard's best integrated work.

However, if I'm just listening to the score, The Village is absolutely gorgeous. Definitely my favorite stand alone among those five.
Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I love The Village and Unbreakable, which by the way seems to be underrated quite often. (Unbreakable)
The film of course has a very slow style, the score adapts that quite well.
But if you listen close enough (wheter in the film or on the soundtrack), you can indeed see a transformation of main themes, subthemes etc.

Maybe not as obvious as in Signs or The Village.

Nevertheless I voted "Unbreakable", since "The Village" has such a great support in the poll, though I also love it by all means. Wink
Busara
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 15749

Busara is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Busara's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for The Village. I like all mentioned scores, and they are all truly fitting their films perfectly. But for standalone listening, The Village works best for me. To me it's an amazing work of art - the most moving and haunting score of the mentioned James Newton Howard / Shyamalan list.

I have heard great things about Lady In The Water though, but I am going to try and prevent myself from experiencing the score before seeing the film. Which is a hard thing, obviously. Smile
Cadet 3

Member#: 15739

ninja_otter is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ninja_otter's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen Lady in the Water, but I do adore the score to The Village. Every time I hear that main violin solo, it makes me want to reach for mine to try it out. I tried once... it's in an awkward key and has too much string-crossing for my skill after it gets past the main melody. Razz

I should try again sometime.
USA LOTRKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13511

LOTRKing is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LOTRKing's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Signs the best, it is also my favorite of his movies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: