StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Let's Define "Foul Language", shall we?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
THRyder
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 14068

THRyder is offline View user's profile Send private message THRyder's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:34 pm   Post subject: Let's Define "Foul Language", shall we? Reply with quote

Now then. What exactly is "Foul Language" - from where I come, very few words fit into this category. That's a definition a lot of people would agree with.

But not SST!

No, SST seems to think that the majority of those who visit this site are under 3 years old and must be protected from a lot of words. I can understand

Spoiler:
Shit, Fuck and Cunt being objected. But Hell and Damn?

There are some words that some users would prefer not to see. That's almost acceptable (I mean, they're just words - People get offended by the most retarded things)

And then there are other words that can only possibly offend a Bible Bashing Evangelist NEOCON.

I was banned from the Chat feature for having used the word

Spoiler:
"Damn".

And seeing as I know a bit about Music, I'm often asked where the best place to find good regular music is - I think SST first, but before I open my mouth I remind myself that I don't want to recommend anyone to a site where they'll be treated like toddlers.

My point is, SST makes itself look like a "geek haven", and that's not a reputation you can honestly say you want?

On your "Monthly Donation Count" be it....
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading through your post:

I'm not sure where you come from, so I can't offer any insight there.

I'm not sure why you feel that SST treats you like a 3 year old, or why you think we treat the listeners and supporters of this site that way. SST and JERIC allow the users great freedom in allowing you to make requests, post messages with those request, chat, and post in the forum. (If we were treating you like toddlers we'd eliminate all those things and play Barney and The Wiggles 24-7. OK, maybe not at night and during nap time.)

I'm glad that you think our policy is "almost acceptable".

Also, I'm sorry to hear that the fact that you can't say particular words in the chat would cause to to not recommend SST to anybody looking for an internet radio station.

I wasn't present for your "banning" and cannot comment on the context or the decision that was made because I've only heard what you've posted here. However, let me speculate a bit:

I felt that the tone of your post (which I've modified a bit to contain spoiler tags) was rude and condescending. Perhaps that was not your intent, but use of things like "People get offended by the most retarded things" and "Bible Bashing Evangelist NEOCON" and general comments like implying that where you come from has is somehow better than the SST community (which if may very well be, although we're a pretty global community) and the subtle threat against SST with your comment about donations at the end. If that was not your intent, and/or I've completely misread you, I apologize in advance and would like you to set me straight. However, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that you behaved the same way in the chat and that led to your banning.

Again, keeping in mind that I don't know any of the details of what happened, were you actually banned from the chat, or were your comments merely removed? If you were banned, then it had to be either an admin or JERIC who banned you. I know that on average they are more lenient than I am about use of inappropriate language in the chat, so I suspect that there is more to the story.

As for use of language at SST, JERIC has decided to make this a family friendly site. I know that there are those who oppose this policy, but I believe that the majority of the listeners either appreciate this policy or at least don't believe that it negatively impacts SST. You obviously believe that it does negatively impact the site/station, and I'd like to hear your thoughts on that beyond labeling us a "geek haven" (which doesn't sound like a bad thing, but also not a label I'd use for SST) and your implication about it impacting donations.

jeff
sdg
USA Obi-son
Captain
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

For one thing don't spell the whole #FAQing# word out to begin with. d&^n or H&*l something like that. Duh hello Mcfly. I know for one thing you have been in chat where I've had to say something to someone for spelling the whole swear word out in chat.
Know if ya act like a 3 year old or just plain doofus like we'll treat ya like that. Remember don't feed the animals. We bite.

Warring Obi's reply may cause irreversible brain, kidney and liver damage.
Captain

Member#: 7505
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas, formerly from the Heart of Dixie

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as I've been here I've never known anyone to be banned for h3ll or d@mn. Those aren't forbidden words in chat. We just ask that you spell them differently for several reasons. I don't appreciate you saying that it's treating ppl like 3 year olds. I for one have never thought it 'cute' to hear a 4, 5,6, etc year old say h3ll, @ss or d@mn.

It's a common courtesy. Not everyone likes foul mouths. I, like many here, have children at home that see the chat box up. I don't want to answer questions about certain words. Also, what you type is picked up on google ads. We've found certain words trigger certain kinds of ads we'd prefer not to have here.

JERIC has gone out of his way to make this a family friendly site.

As far as them being just words: I can think of several scenarios that if you used those words it would get you in trouble - in front of a judge, police officer, school teacher, etc.

There is no 'right to free speech' on a privately owned building. We have rules, they are in the ToS when you joined.

If d@mn were a bannable offense, I wouldn't be here.
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for picking up my slack, Thur. I forgot to mention the google ads issue.

jeff
sdg
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Certain words (if frequent enough) can also trigger site banning software that many companies use to keep their employees from accessing sites they don't want company funds supporting.

So, THRyder, it really is too bad that you have to go to all the trouble of alternatively spelling those objectional words... and it is too bad that you find it so offensive that we try not to be offensive... But these measures really are in place just to make sure that as many as possible can freely access SST for their listening pleasure at home and at work.

...And those of us with children are extra-appreciative. Smile

P.S. I don't think spoiler tags are effective against any of the concerns that were brought up by J2, Thur, and myself, but I'm not certain.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

You have been banned by me for foul language a while back. Not for that single word. I lock this thread for trolling. Another thread like this and you get banned from the forum.

Your choice.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: