StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Personal/Favorite Recipes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

Member#: 7505
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas, formerly from the Heart of Dixie

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

lol - i have managed to never have to cook for the holidays (always going to mom's has come in handy) The only one i have is my grandmother's recipe, which is oddly enough the same as laura bush's (but minus the sage)

LAURA BUSH'S CORN BREAD DRESSING

3 cups onion, chopped 1/2 cup fresh sage, chopped
3 cups celery, chopped salt and black pepper to taste
16 tablespoons unsalted butter 3 cups turkey stock
1 tablespoon olive oil

Prepare the Corn Bread (recipe follows). Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Crumble corn bread; set aside. Saute onion and celery in 12 tablespoons butter and the olive oil until soft. Place in a bowl and add the corn bread, sage, salt and pepper. Place mixture in a 9"x12" glass baking dish; set aside.

Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter and drizzle over corn bread. Spoon turkey stock over corn bread. Note: This dish can be prepared a day or two in advance up to this point. Refrigerate, then bring to room temperature before baking. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 minutes longer or until brown. Drizzle with more stock and butter if dressing seems too dry. Makes 12 to 14 servings. Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes.

Corn Bread

1/2 cup oil salt to taste
2 cups stone-ground cornmeal 2 eggs, beaten
2 cups flour 2 cups whole milk or
2 tablespoons baking powder 1 cup milk and 1 cup water
4 teaspoons sugar

Heat oil in a 9"x13" metal baking pan in the oven until very hot. Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl. Stir in beaten eggs and milk. Pour hot oil from pan into batter and stir. Pour mixture into pan and bake at 450 degrees F. (preheated) for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden.
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:13 pm   Post subject: Cranberry-Orange Bread Reply with quote

For as many Christmases as I can remember, my mom has baked dozens of loaves of cranberry bread for family and friends. After we were grown, no matter where (in the world) we were, she made sure we had this delicious cranberry "cake" on our table for the holidays.

It's very festive because of the bright red cranberries, and its orange bouquet fills the room. Even though she continues the tradition to this day, the torch has been passed to me... and I'm delighted to share this yummy recipe with you.

CRANBERRY-ORANGE BREAD

Amount: Makes 3 large loaves (8") or 6-8 small ones (5-3/4")

Preheat oven to 350-degrees.

Ingredients:
2 cups fresh cranberries, chopped up
Grated rind of 1 orange (just the outer orange part, finely grated)
1 tsp. salt
4 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
3 tsp. baking powder
1 c. chopped walnuts (optional - we don't add nuts)

1 c. orange juice
2/3 c. hot water
1/4 c. vegetable oil (not canola or olive)
2 eggs - well beaten

Mix together the first 7 ingredients (cranberries, orange rind, salt, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder). Then add the orange juice, hot water, oil, and eggs.

Pour batter into three 8-inch loaf pans, or 6-8 mini-pans (5-3/4"), about 3/4 full. (I use disposable aluminum pans.)

Bake at 350: 1 hour for 8", or 45 minutes for mini-pans.
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

Member#: 7505
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas, formerly from the Heart of Dixie

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Typing this for a friend, so thought I'd post it here as well.
Santa Fe Soup
2lbs ground round
1 onion chopped
2 pkgs Ranch dressing mix
2 cans shoepeg corn, drained
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 16 oz can black beans, undrained
1 16 oz can pinto beans, undrained
1 16 oz kidney beans, undrained
1 16 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can Ro-tel Tomatoes and chiles
2 c water

Brown ground meat and onion; drain grease. Combine meat with remainder of ingredients. Bring to a boil. Turn down and simmer for 2 hours. May garnish with sour cream shredded cheese and green onions. Serve w/ tortilla chips. Serves 8-10
can be doubled, tripled, etc. may have to watch the water amount though, freezes well.
Lieutenant

Member#: 7050

Diamondback is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Diamondback's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried this yet, but I will soon enough, or at the latest by Easter. Note: this used to be on Epicurious.

EGGNOG JARECKY

Ingredients:
4 cups half-and-half
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup sugar
7 extra-large egg yolks
1 tablespoon vanilla
Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
About 1 cup milk to thin eggnog
Accompaniment if desired: dark rum or brandy

Preparation:
In a 4- to 5-quart heavy saucepan with an electric mixer beat together half-and-half, cream, sugar, and yolks until combined well. Cook mixture over moderate heat, continuing to beat, until slightly thickened and a thermometer registers 170°F, about 7 to 10 minutes, and remove pan from heat. Continue to beat mixture until slightly cooled and stir in vanilla and nutmeg. Transfer eggnog to a bowl and chill, covered, at least 8 hours and up to 2 days. Just before serving, thin eggnog with milk to desired consistency. Serve eggnog with rum or brandy on the side for guests to add to taste.

Makes 7 Cups

Bon Appétit *insert applause* Cool
Diamondback
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 7050

Diamondback is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Diamondback's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping with the spirits of the last post, here's something for when you REALLY want to spike that Eggnog. This is also from Epicurious.

Kentucky Eggnog Spike

Ingredients:
2 cups bourbon
1 cup dark rum
1 cup brandy
1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
1 whole nutmeg
2 large cinnamon sticks
7 whole cloves

Preparation:
Pour bourbon, rum and brandy into 1-quart bottle. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into bourbon mixture; add pod to bottle. Using mortar and pestle or bottom of heavy small skillet, crack whole nutmeg into 4 or 5 pieces. Add nutmeg pieces, cinnamon sticks and cloves to mixture. Cork bottle tightly. Let stand in cool, dark place for 1 week. (Can be prepared 3 months ahead.)

Makes about 4 cups.

Bon Appétit *insert applause* Cool
Caray
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 243

Caray is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Caray's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's what an eggnog looks like!

The second one looks very... very... nishe... *raise cup*
Lieutenant

Member#: 7872

lotrgirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View lotrgirl's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

College student recipe as follows:

Look in cupboard to see what is there. Ah yes, Mac and Cheese, Ramen, cereal, hamburger helper, and oh, bread and peanut butter!! Decide which you would like to make. Follow instructions on package. Wink

Ok, here's a real recipe:

Potato Lefse Smile

4 cups mashed potatoes
2 tlb butter or margarine
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp. salt
About 3 cups all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil

Add butter milk, salt to potatoes. Mix well. Cool. Add enough flour to form a non.sticky dough. Add flour gradually, the less the better. Divide into 24 pieces. Roll each piece out, using flour to keep from sticking. Heat a griddle or frying pan over medium heat. Lightly grease with salad oil. Place on grill. Lefse will 'bubble', turn over. (Approx. 2 min). Variation: Substitute some of wheat flour with rye flour.

found here: http://www.fromnorway.net/norwegian_food/recipes/recipelefse.htm
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

Member#: 333

Muriel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Muriel's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Foreigners posting norwegian recipies Smile
I checked that site and found my favourite:

Norwegian waffles

200 ml plain flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cardamom seeds, or ground cardamom
1Tlb. Sugar
3 eggs
100 g melted butter
200 ml milk
100 ml cream

Sift dry ingredients together in a bowl. Mix the wet ingredients together, add to the dry. Mix well. Batter should be smooth. Let batter rest 20-30 minutes. Bake batter in a hot waffle iron. Traditional Norwegian iron is round and divided into heart shapes. Cool waffles afterwards. Norwegian waffles are eaten cold. Serve with jam, butter, sour cream, Norwegian brown (goat) cheese.

Personal touch for variation:

In the town I grew up we had hot dogs with the waffles. You wrap a waffle around the hot dog, and add ketchup or mustard and other accessories as you would a normal hot dog. This variation is so locally limited that if you drive to the next big town they'll never even have heard of it and look really odd at you when your ordering it.
I was in a totally different part of Norway once and ordered a hot dog in a waffle. The clerk looked odd, as usual, and almost wouldn't let me have it because she thought I was kidding. But she finally gave it to me and asked kiddingly if I wanted ketchup on that. When I actually answered yes she looked even more surprised. You should've seen the general look on her face when I walked away from the kiosk; constantly keeping an eye on me and seeing if I was actually going to eat that thing Very Happy
But I promise you that it's actually quite tasty Cool
USA lotrgirl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 7872

lotrgirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View lotrgirl's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Chandler wrote:
Cool. Foreigners posting norwegian recipies Smile

I'm partly Norwegian. My dad and I make lefse every year Very Happy
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 3098

rebeccabutterfly is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website rebeccabutterfly's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i cant post my top secret ones, like the amazing brownies, because even if i did, its all very hard to duplicate ... but here are a couple:

my fav. shot (as in alcoholic drink ... and i got this version from a friend so i dont take the blame for it ... but its good .. if you're into it)

Red Headed Slut:
shaker with ice, 3/4 oz. Jagermeister, Peach Schnapps, and cranberry juice

- - - -

Gazpacho
UT Faculty Center, Austin

2 ripe tomatoes, peeled
1 medium cucumber, peeled
1 medium bell pepper, diced
¼ white onion, grated
1 green onion, chopped
1 cup canned tomato juice
2 Tbl olive oil
1 Tbl white vinegar
1 Tbl tarragon vinegar
1 Tbl lemon juice
1 tsp garlic salt
½ tsp Season All
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
A dash of Tabasco
Salt & pepper to taste

Chop tomatoes and cucumbers in food chopper or blender, medium fine. Add all other ingredients and chill 2-4 hours. Serve in ice cold cups. Serves 4-6.

- - - -
Dracula Eyes

Ingredients:
½ cup creamy peanut butter
3 Tbsp softened butter
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
6 oz ( ½ bag) vanilla milk chips
20 M&M’s
red & black decorator gel icing

Cookies:
1. In a mixing bowl, stir together peanut butter and butter
2. Gradually add powdered sugar, stirring until combined
3. Shape into 1” balls; place on waxed paper for about 20 min or until dry.

Icing:
1. Heat vanilla chips in a microwave safe plastic bowl at medium power for 2 min.
2. Stir until bowl no longer feels warm.
3. Continue heating for 30 second intervals, stirring until smooth
4. Spoon melted vanilla onto a cookie and use spoon to smooth out the vanilla
5. Press an M&M in the center of the vanilla covered ball
6. Repeat for each cookie
7. Let stand until coating is firm
8. Add a dot of black gel to the center of the M&M for pupils
9. Drizzle red gel onto balls for bloodshot eyes

For spiders, use regular chocolate chips instead of vanilla and use the black gel for legs and red gel for eyes.

Makes about 20 cookies

- - - -

enjoy, if you so choose...
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 12520

the_lake_effect is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View the_lake_effect's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Becca, do you have Sex on the Beach with Red-Headed Sluts? (Yeah, yeah, quit your groaning, everybody.)

Here's something that started as a recipe on a lid, which I've made into so much more. This is from Page one of my recipe collection.

STUPIDLY CINNAMON OATMEAL COOKIES

1 cup butter or margarine, softened or melted
1 cup finely packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar (white or cane)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour OR 1 3/4 for high altitude
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon or 2 teaspoons cinnamon (this would be "stupidly")
2 1/2 to 3 cups rolled oats - if you softened the butter OR 3 1/2 to 4 cups rolled oats if you melted the butter
1 cup of raisins OR for more fun, cranberries

1) Leave butter out for a while if you want it softened OR melt it in measuring cup after measuring sugars.
2) Mix sugars together, then add butter. Beat until creamy.
3) Beat eggs in measuring cup. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat well.
4) Add flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix well.
5) Stire in oats. Then cranberries. Clean measuring cup with 1/2 of water. (What, that's not in the ingredient list? Don't be stupid.) If mix is too hard to get cranberries in, then use a few tablespoons of cloudy water to soften. Mix well.
6) Preheat oven to 350'F/ 175'C
7) Using clean hands (and I don't know why you'd be baking with dirty hands), create balls of dough, and place on cookie sheet. Dip fingers in water after each ball. Add water gradually to mix.
Cool Bake according to number of cookies, doughiness, and power of oven. Forget golden brown, look for "shy" brown (you'll know it when you see it), or it should smell done, but not burnt.

In an oven like mine...
Small (75-90) doughy - 9 min, well done - 12 min
Large (45-60) doughy - 12 min, well done - 15 min

You might want to use a second baking sheet.

Stories are for children, skyscrapers, and anyone wishing to reach for the stars.

The truthiness shall set you free.
FrozenHan
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 440

FrozenHan is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View FrozenHan's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

8 bean burritos
24 cans Old Milwaukee
4 cases toilet paper

Note: not necessarily in that order
We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

--Tyler Durden
USA rebeccabutterfly
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 3098

rebeccabutterfly is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website rebeccabutterfly's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the recipe for tiramisu that I enjoyed making so much (see personal celebrations forum thread). It made just 3 servings, though (not quite enough whipped topping for 4 ... but maybe because i made very healthy portions.) I'm not crazy about the marsala wine, and next time will try brandy instead. I made some very strong starbuck's meduim house blend coffee for that part. For the cocoa I used hot chocolate mix from hershey's. I chose to serve it in large martini glasses. 3 ladyfingers per layer. It helps if you set the lady fingers in the dish, and THEN douse the coffee mixture over them to get them moist. Dipping a sponge made out of sugar is impossible (not the dipping part, but the retreiving part) and usually results in a soupy mess.

If you want to serve it as a dessert it is best to fully prepare the tiramisu before preparing the meal and just let it refrigerate until you're ready to eat it!

TIRAMISU!

Ingredients

SUGAR, 3 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons
EGG YOLKS, 2
CREAM CHEESE, 2 ounces
MASCARPONE, 5-3/8 ounces
MARSALA, 3 teaspoons + 1 ounce
HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM, 7 ounces
ESPRESSO OR STRONG COFFEE, 2 cups
WARM WATER, 1/2 cup
LADYFINGERS, 24 French-style
POWDERED SWEETENED COCOA MIX, 3 tablespoons

Directions

Prepare Cream Mixture
In an electric mixer, whip sugar and egg yolks on high speed until pale yellow and thick.
With mixer on medium speed, add cream cheese and whip until smooth.
Add mascarpone and Marsala.
Mix until incorporated.
Whip the cream and fold into the mixture.
Refrigerate.

Prepare Espresso Mixture
Combine espresso, additional Marsala, sugar, and warm water.
Assembly
Dip ladyfingers in espresso mixture.
Place one layer of dipped ladyfingers on bottom of serving platter.
Top with one layer of cream mixture.
Add another layer of dipped ladyfingers
Top with a second layer of cream mixture.
Sift cocoa over top.

Chill some more until you're ready to serve! (best to put the cocoa on top right before you serve it)

recipe from:http://www.heavenlytiramisu.com/rcp-124.htm

AND FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT TIRAMISU IS ...

'Well, first of all, think of a very light chocolate pudding. Very light. No, you've got to think lighter than that. Think more in the lines of mocha-flavored whipped cream.

Now add in a little bit of body. Not heaviness, but substance -- you know, the kind of fullness that rich foods feel like in your mouth. Except that it doesn't taste rich, and it doesn't stay in your mouth long enough to become cloying. It tastes, well, dreamy.

Then, imagine this very light almost-like-mocha-flavored-whipped-cream concoction on lady finger pastry soaked (no, more like "kissed") with strong espresso coffee. Got that? Light, creamy, smooth lady fingers, the rich aroma of strong coffee?

Okay, now add in just a slight bite on the tongue, and tantalizing hint of the liquor. Suddenly, you get a teeny explosion of chocolate on your tongue that disappears in a flash. Got all that? Good.

Now finally, imagine that you're dressed in gossamer. You have delicate white wings and are sitting on a fluffy cloud. You are experiencing the greatest dessert ecstacy of your life. You are in Heaven, and Heaven is in your mouth.

Thats tiramisu!'
Commodore

Member#: 10213

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:58 pm   Post subject: No Bake Cookies Reply with quote

This is pretty easy! Used it when teaching home ec. to 7th graders.
Also NO WHEAT for that fella who cannot have wheat in his diet!
Good Eats!

Chewy Chocolate No-Bakes
Level: Easy

A delightful chocolately treat. And quick too!
Estimated Times:
Cooking - 20 min | Cooling Time - 3 hrs refrigerating | Yields - 3 dozen

Ingredients:

1 cup (6 oz.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
5 tablespoons butter or margarine
16 large marshmallows
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
optional add ins
1 cup raisins,diced dried fruit,shredded coconut, nuts, marshmallows, (any combination of)

Directions:
LINE baking sheets with wax paper.

MELT morsels, butter and large marshmallows in large saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Stir in vanilla extract. Stir in oats and remaining ingredients.

DROP by rounded teaspoonfuls onto prepared sheets. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours. Let stand at room temperature about 15 minutes before serving. Store tightly covered in refrigerator.
Commodore

Member#: 10213

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:42 pm   Post subject: Soo easy soooo good! Reply with quote

Caramel Corn

INGREDIENTS
5 to 6 quarts of popped popping corn
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 pound butter
1/2 cup white Karo syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

Fill a large roasting pan with popped popping corn. In sauce pan place
sugar, butter and corn syrup. Boil for 5 minutes and remove from heat.
Add vanilla, salt and baking soda. Blend and pour over popcorn, mixing
well. Place in 250 degree oven for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Spread on wax paper to cool.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17

Jump to: