StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Here's the story...of the dying TV theme song

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:14 am   Post subject: Here's the story...of the dying TV theme song Reply with quote

BQ sent me this article. Thought it was interesting.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15320031/from/RS.5/

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really a sad story, but it was predictable at a certain point.
When everyone started to use pop-songs instead of extra composed themes (like in Star Trek etc., even they used this cruel poppy thing at the end) for openings or for "scoring itself", it's not far to get to this.

Every musical accompaniment seems to be exchangeable these days(like in Grey's Anatomy, Medical Detectives, etc.), no one wants (?) original composed music anymore... or do they not want to spend a few dollars/euros etc. more for this effort?
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone once said that classical music was dying and that there isn't an appreciate for it anymore. I was so upset when I heard that(it was in a Music 100 class in college). But, the more I see and hear things, the more I see classical type music being pushed to the side for all this pop/rock/rap junk. It's truly a sad thing to see. I love shows like Little Einsteins, that promote classical music by teaching toddlers & preschoolers not only what the music sounds like, but what the piece is and who the composer is. If we keep promoting and teaching the value of classical/instrumental type music, we can hopefully keep it alive!
Lieutenant

Member#: 11136

stefan_nl is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View stefan_nl's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine the theme song will go away permanently.
When hearing the typical opening music of the A-team, the different Star Trek shows (even 'Enterpise' although I needed time to get used to it), Friends and Firefly for example, you knew that your favourite show had started.

It also gave a perfect introduction to the cast of the show.
Not like how it's done with LOST where the names of the castmembers are half transparent in the corners of the screen while you need to focus on what's happening in the center.

So I hope the theme song will get it's revival soon.
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 11852

sunshinegirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View sunshinegirl's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sad to admit but the first TV soundtrack I learned and knew immediately what it was ...was "DALLAS" Rolling Eyes
USA Obi-son
Captain
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I read the sameone also. Jeric your to fast m8.
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

stefan_nl wrote:
I can't imagine the theme song will go away permanently.

Agreed. And I think that the article hints at that on the second page. But it may be that we'll see a mixture of the two approaches, sort of like how movies these days sometimes still open with the extended opening credits and others just dive right in.
hduncanebc
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 15997

hduncanebc is offline View user's profile Send private message hduncanebc's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the article too. The theme song and show i will miss the most is from the West Wing. That intro music was just awesome. It really set the mood for the show. I've looked but can't find it here. Does anyone know if it is here somewhere.

There was also a song used during one episode. It was called Hallelujah, by Jeff Buckley. An awesome song.
paulw
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 14314

paulw is offline View user's profile Send private message paulw's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this paragraph sumes it up. Greed.

"Thanks to the elimination of commercials between the end of one show and the beginning of another, shows overlap before fickle viewers have a chance to channel-surf to Another Network. More commercials air within a show, making episodes shorter. Main titles and well-rounded theme songs and scores? Sorry, no time, no money."

Paul W
Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE THEME MUSIC !!!!!!!!
(...but I have to admit that I fast-forward it, too... Embarassed )

So...theme music isn't essential...but I'd miss it if it wasn't there.

Everything clear, now? Confused
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

alien_avatar wrote:
I LOVE THEME MUSIC !!!!!!!!
(...but I have to admit that I fast-forward it, too... Embarassed )

I understand that completely. But I do miss theme songs, a little, at least the good ones. I also agree with paulw, that greed is definitely a motivating factor. I hate commercials, I hate that there are more of them now. It stinks. Then you get TV shows from 15 years ago on DVD and find out that shows were at least 5 minutes longer then. GRRRR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: