StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

R.I.P. Shirley Walker (1945 - 2006)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:37 am   Post subject: R.I.P. Shirley Walker (1945 - 2006) Reply with quote

another sad loss...

Shirley Walker (1945-2006)

I am not well acquainted with the work of Shirley Walker, but it is sad to see the loss of another artist providing such enjoyment to lovers of film and television music everywhere.

There is a nice tribute at the filmscoremonthly messageboard.

Here is a link to her website

Last edited by TheSnowLeopard on Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my... it seems as if this is not a good decade for music lovers. Shocked

3 years ago Michael Kamen, Luciano Berio, etc.
2 years ago Jerry Goldsmith & Elmer Bernstein, etc.
this year Basil Poledouris, György Ligeti, ... and now Miss Shirley Walker. Sad

I knew her only because of her "Final Destination"-scores, I think she did more conducting & orchestrating for other composers.
61 years is not really an age to pass so early...!

My sympathies for her family!
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a feature on Shirley Walker in Variety:

Shirley Walker, an Emmy-winning composer who also scored more major-studio feature films than any other American woman, died of complications from a stroke early Thursday at Washoe Medical Center in Reno, Nev. She was 61.
Walker won a 2001 music-composition Emmy for "Batman Beyond," one of several animated series she scored including "Batman," "Superman," "The Zeta Project" and "Spawn." She won another Emmy in 1996 as music director on "The Adventures of Batman & Robin."

Her feature-film credits include all three "Final Destination" films, "Escape From L.A." (with director John Carpenter), "Turbulence," "Willard," "Memoirs of an Invisible Man," "Born to Ride" and "Batman: Mask of the Phantasm." Her final feature film, "Black Christmas," will be released by Dimension on Dec. 25.

Walker was well known in the industry as a mentor to young composers. As supervising composer on the Warner Bros. animated series, she launched the careers of several musicians who went on to their own successes in the field.

She worked extensively in television, scoring episodes of "Lou Grant," "Falcon Crest," "Knots Landing," "China Beach" and "The Others." She scored all 22 episodes of "Space: Above and Beyond," which earned her a 1995 Emmy nomination for original series score, and all 22 episodes of "The Flash" in 1990-91. Her TV-movie scores included those for "Asteroid," "Majority Rule" and "Disappearance."

Walker orchestrated and conducted several of Danny Elfman's early scores, including "Batman," "Dick Tracy," "Nightbreed" and "Darkman," and did the same for several of Hans Zimmer's early scores, including "Days of Thunder," "Backdraft," "A League of Their Own" and "Toys."

She was born in Napa, Calif., in 1945, attended San Francisco State College and performed as a pianist with the San Francisco Symphony and Oakland Symphony Orchestra.

Her film career began on Francis Ford Coppola's "Apocalypse Now," on which she played synthesizers; she later collaborated on the score of Coppola's "The Black Stallion."

Walker's husband Don died in March. She is survived by two sons; her mother; two brothers; and a sister.

Plans for a memorial service are under way, with a date to be announced.

There is another article at The Film Music Society
Lieutenant

Member#: 13205

Jim_A is offline View user's profile Send private message Jim_A's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

So when do WE get Memoirs of an Invisible Man -- Nuff said

Jim
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

We get it once you buy it and send it in to SST! Or you could donate the money and SST will buy it and add it OR you can be patient and it will be added at some point in the future.
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

This has not been a good time for Animated Batman composers. I just read that Harvey R. Cohen, who did orchestrations and composing for BTAS, among other things, died this week at age 55. You can read his Variety obit here: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117957432.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&query=Harvey+Cohen
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is truly sad news LadyInque and he passed away at such a young age. It is truly a sad that we have lost so many talented composers recently Sad
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: