StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

RIAA Sues Radio Stations For Giving Away Free Music

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Streaming
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:19 am   Post subject: RIAA Sues Radio Stations For Giving Away Free Music Reply with quote

RIAA Sues Radio Stations For Giving Away Free Music
------------------------------
LOS ANGELES—The Recording Industry Association of America filed a $7.1 billion lawsuit against the nation's radio stations Monday, accusing them of freely distributing copyrighted music.

Above: RIAA president Hilary Rosen and attorney Russell Frackman answer questions in a Los Angeles courthouse.
"It's criminal," RIAA president Hilary Rosen said. "Anyone at any time can simply turn on a radio and hear a copyrighted song. Making matters worse, these radio stations often play the best, catchiest song off the album over and over until people get sick of it. Where is the incentive for people to go out and buy the album?"

According to Rosen, the radio stations acquire copies of RIAA artists' CDs and then broadcast them using a special transmitter, making it possible for anyone with a compatible radio-wave receiver to listen to the songs.

"These radio stations are extremely popular," Rosen said. "They flagrantly string our songs together in 'uninterrupted music blocks' of up to 70 minutes in length, broadcasting nearly one CD's worth of product without a break, and they actually have the gall to allow businesses to advertise between songs. It's bad enough that they're giving away our music for free, but they're actually making a profit off this scheme."

RIAA attorney Russell Frackman said the lawsuit is intended to protect the artists.

"If this radio trend continues, it will severely damage a musician's ability to earn a living off his music," Frackman said. "[Metallica drummer] Lars Ulrich stopped in the other day wondering why his last royalty check was so small, and I didn't know what to say. How do you tell a man who's devoted his whole life to his music that someone is able to just give it away for free? That pirates are taking away his right to support himself with his craft?"

For the record companies and the RIAA, one of the most disturbing aspects of the radio-station broadcasts is that anyone with a receiver and an analog tape recorder can record the music and play it back at will.

"I've heard reports that children as young as 8 tape radio broadcasts for their own personal use," Rosen said. "They listen to a channel that has a limited rotation of only the most popular songs—commonly called 'Top 40' stations—then hit the 'record' button when they hear the opening strains of the song they want. And how much are they paying for these songs? A big fat zip."

Above: One of the hundreds of radio stations being sued for distributing copyrighted music.
Continued Rosen: "According to our research, there is one of these Top 40 stations in every major city in the country. This has to be stopped before the music industry's entire economic infrastructure collapses."

Especially distressing to the RIAA are radio stations' "all-request hours," when listeners call in to ask radio announcers, or "disc jockeys," to play a certain song.

"What's the point of putting out a new Ja Rule or Sum 41 album if people can just call up and hear any song off the album that they want?" Frackman asked. "In some instances, these stations actually have the nerve to let the caller 'dedicate' his act of thievery to a friend or lover. Could you imagine a bank letting somebody rob its vaults and then allowing the thief to thank his girlfriend Tricia and the whole gang down at Bumpy's?"

Defenders of radio-based music distribution insist that the relatively poor sound quality of radio broadcasts negates the record companies' charges.

"Radio doesn't have the same sound quality as a CD," said Paul "Cubby" Bryant, music director of New York radio station Z100, one of the nation's largest distributors of free music and a defendant in the suit. "Real music lovers will still buy CDs. If anything, we're exposing people to music they might not otherwise hear. These record companies should be thanking us, not suing us."

Outraged by the RIAA suit, many radio listeners are threatening to boycott the record companies.

"All these companies care about is profits," said Amy Legrand, 21, an avid Jacksonville, FL, radio user who surreptitiously records up to 10 songs a day off the radio. "Top 40 radio is taking the power out of the hands of the Ahmet Erteguns of the world and bringing it back to the people of Clear Channel and Infinity Broadcasting. It's about time somebody finally stood up to those record-company fascists."

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
EvilKitty
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 38

EvilKitty is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website EvilKitty's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:40 am   Post subject: RIAA Sues Radio Stations For Giving Away Free Music Reply with quote

lol - gotta love The Onion. Smile

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:41 am   Post subject: RIAA Sues Radio Stations For Giving Away Free Music Reply with quote

The thing is, to me, it is not that far-fetched.

chriss_co
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 64

chriss_co is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website chriss_co's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:12 pm   Post subject: RIAA Sues Radio Stations For Giving Away Free Music Reply with quote

Man!! Those RIAA guys are sounding ridiculous!!! Radios not being able to broadcast streams?!?!?! In fact, the whole idea of sharing music can not be considered illegal since we pratically do the same with tv. ie. VCR's. In actual reality, people who listen to internet radios are actually paying for the service. I mean, I have monthly internet bills just like everyone else. If the RIAA has a problem they came too late. They should have done something before the internet was introduced.

Heres a question: what can the RIAA do to companies/people in Canada? I dont know the specifics but in the great country above the states, there is no such thing, to my knowledge, of something similar to the RIAA!! In this case, everyone should move up to Canada!! To heck with the RIAA!! They cant take away my right to listen to music on the radio! Especially since they dont represent me or my fellow Canadians! I should sue them! but i wont [Smile]
SlowMo
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 29

SlowMo is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail SlowMo's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:23 am   Post subject: RIAA Sues Radio Stations For Giving Away Free Music Reply with quote

Reality check : IT WAS A JOKE - although it rang true.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 3:31 am   Post subject: RIAA Sues Radio Stations For Giving Away Free Music Reply with quote

I wouldn't put it past the RIAA. If their efforts to shut down Internet Radio by imposing rediculous royalty fees failed then I could see them resorting to this.

USA Aur
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 241

Aur is offline View user's profile Send private message View Aur's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 3:13 pm   Post subject: RIAA Sues Radio Stations For Giving Away Free Music Reply with quote

Usually I point my finger and laugh at people who fall for a story from The Onion, but this is one that could almost happen.

In truth, it did happen. When FM radio started out, record executives had their panties in a bunch just like they do now over internet radio.

In the end, freedom prevailed. I believe it will again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 3:50 am   Post subject: RIAA Sues Radio Stations For Giving Away Free Music Reply with quote

I'll have to disagree with you on the "freedom prevailed" part. I can't stand to listen to FM. You basically have a choice from 5 genres and within each of them, 50 songs. That is disgusting and it's the same thing that's going to happen to Internet Radio.

USA Aur
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 241

Aur is offline View user's profile Send private message View Aur's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 1:52 pm   Post subject: RIAA Sues Radio Stations For Giving Away Free Music Reply with quote

Hm, yeah, that's a good point.

You know much about how that works? Are radio stations strictly limited to playing certain songs only? I've heard some stations break out some odd "B-sides" once in a while. I always thought radio stations played the same 50 songs all the time because they're the songs people recognize.

Aur

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:49 am   Post subject: RIAA Sues Radio Stations For Giving Away Free Music Reply with quote

In a nutshell, radio stations aren't able to play as many songs as they would like only because of the royalty fees they have to pay. Too many songs in a playlist makes it hard to keep track of. Plus, certain songs are cheaper than others. Especially singles, when a single comes out, sometimes the record industry will waive royalty fees the first week or so. That's why we hear the same songs over and over. It's cheaper! That's also why you also hear a bunch of DJ Talk and commercials. They don't have to pay royalty fees on that. But they do have to keep their listeners, so they offer contests and games, etc.

Reliable
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 1331

Reliable is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reliable's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"If this radio trend continues, it will severely damage a musician's ability to earn a living off his music," Frackman said. "[Metallica drummer] Lars Ulrich stopped in the other day wondering why his last royalty check was so small, and I didn't know what to say. How do you tell a man who's devoted his whole life to his music that someone is able to just give it away for free? That pirates are taking away his right to support himself with his craft?"

What a f#cking crap!! They are famous enough to earn money anyway, and new talents will get famous too when they make good music..

When I read this message, it pisses me off how they put the facts to words.

(Excuse moi, for the crappy english)
USA Legolas
Commander
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 1:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

People lets try and remember that the onion was started by a group of guys who went to U.W. Madison. MY HOME TOWN! :d I love that paper. Anyways its a joke. But its not amazing that people would think it was true. If they did do somthing like this i would sue them for being so stupid that it cause me distress. Wink

I wonder if I would win... I bet so.
USA jk2silly VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

Member#: 30

jk2silly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View jk2silly's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Jeric on this one. I don't even listen to the radio any more if I can help it because of the lack of variety. Approximately 90% +/- of all radio stations in America are owned by TWO companies. There is no such thing as a free market there so there is no need to play any more music than they absolutely have to. I just hope that enough people see the RIAA for the bloodsucking pigs that they are and keep internet radio for the true variety that it offers.
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

How ture. they all ahave the same format. Boring top 40, talk, and so on. The only thing i listen to is NPR. And that is for traffic and news.
XTReactorVX
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 108

XTReactorVX is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XTReactorVX's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the Top 40 station I listen to can get repetitive sometimes and it's a burden to listen to so I switch to the alternative/rock station. Thanks for explaining that Jeric, how did you learn all that?

That article reminds me of an episode of Family Guy. Peter records a football game and these FBI agents barge in his house.

FBI: *pointing guns* Do you have the express permission of ABC and the National Football League to record and copy the preceding program?

Peter: Uh...just the NFL.

FBI: *they begin go PWn Peter's VCR*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Streaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: