StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

SST Award - Cue of the Year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Should the SST Awards be expanded to include Cue or Composer Of The Year?
Yes
87%
 87%  [ 14 ]
No
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 16

Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:03 am   Post subject: SST Award - Cue of the Year Reply with quote

I was wondering if Cue or Track of the Year could be added to the Annual SST Awards.

It would be an intriguing and enjoyable task to contemplate nominations for the best cue throughout the year.

Last edited by TheSnowLeopard on Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if SST already has plans to expand its awards list or if this is just a plain old stoopid idea...but anyways I thought we could also add Composer of the Year. Then we would have 3 main categories, followed by other categories that would give the opportunity for lesser known or played soundtracks to get a moment in the spotlight, such as Best Score for a Video Game or Best Score for a European Film, etc etc

It might be an administrative headache to collate the results for all these awards, but members could volunteer to administer one category each?? Or one category is introduced each year, maybe initially on a trial basis to see how it works out.

There is a possibility that the Cue of the Year award may produce heaps of cues with only one vote, but these could be ranked also by how often they were played. Either way, it's all good fun just to read what other members have loved during the year.

In the worst case scenario, we could create a new Forum called Awards, with a separate Topic for each awards category. I think everyone enjoys reading 'best of' lists, just to learn of those idiosyncratic choices of other members. So if we couldn't find a clear winner (either because of insufficient nominations or choices), it all leads to the great joy of discovering new music.

Last year I saw some members nominate 1 soundtrack, others 10. I would also like to see all members offer their Top 5 or 10 nominationss just for consistency.

I know that Soundtrack.net and Movie Music UK both do end-of-year awards in multiple categories. It would be great to see SST have a similar structure. Hopefully in the long run, our awards would be regarded as the "oscars" and the other website awards as the "golden globes".

I definitely agree with a previous forum topic that the "top brass" of SST should publish their personal favourites.

Anyways that ends my loosely structured ramble of ideas...
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have a lot of excellent suggestions regarding adding more categories to the SST awards. However, it has to be feasible to manage, and I'm not sure how much effort the admins want to put into this. They would have their hands full narrowing down the nominees in each category. Twopop did a tremendous job behind the scenes to compile the votes from the admins then from VIPs for one category, but it gets more complicated and time-consuming with each category that's added on.

If there is more than one category, SST could ask for nominations from members then do an internal email survey for the admins to narrow it down to the finalists in each category, then another web survey with the finalists for members. If only VIPs get to vote, they could be emailed the survey link or get the password. There's some free web survey services you could use like Survey Monkey or Zoomerang. Or let everyone vote by creating a poll page on the site with a poll for each category.

You're right that some people offered a lot of nominations for the best soundtrack and some only 1-2, so maybe for next year's contest limiting nominations to 5 scores max would give more people a chance to chime in with their picks. If there is a cue of the year category, then limiting it to 1-3 cue nominations would cut down on the number of nominees to make this easier to work with.
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I like these ideas too and I'd certainly be willing to help in the collecting/collating of votes if there were more SST awards in the future.
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more people willing to volunteer? Maybe if there is enough interest the admins might be willing to add more categories.

The volunteers could manage a forum thread for each category, compile the list of nominees for that category, then send to an admin who could create one form to email to the other admins to vote on.

Is it worth making categories such as:

Best overall soundtrack
Best film soundtrack (with theatrical release, can include full-length anime films)
Best TV soundtrack (includes regular TV programs, TV mini-series, anime series, made for TV films, TV documentaries)
Best game soundtrack (PC games, console games)
Best cue

Other category suggestions?
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems as good a time as any to bump this post and see how SST members feel about this topic now.

I have added a poll as well.
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

SnowLeopard,

I think this is a great suggestion and agree that more categories like 'best track of the year' and 'best composer of the year' etc would be great categories to also vote on in addition to 'best score of the year'. Plus, I would be willing to volunteer to help make this happen.

Great idea Snow, I hope that this idea is implemented and if not this year maybe down the road.

Nate
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Collecting data and passing it on?
Mwwahhhhaaahahaa!!! Oh... the wonderful possibilities for vote-rigging!!! Twisted Evil

Seriously, I'd be willing to help if someone tells me exactly what to do.
This is essential. Otherwise you'll get votes sorted by color or word-length. Wink
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

alien_avatar wrote:
Collecting data and passing it on?
Mwwahhhhaaahahaa!!! Oh... the wonderful possibilities for vote-rigging!!!

Seriously, I'd be willing to help if someone tells me exactly what to do.
This is essential. Otherwise you'll get votes sorted by color or word-length.

A sinister laugh followed by a comment about vote rigging and THEN you volunteer to help Shocked .

So you normally sort data by color and word length? Confused Razz
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

natedogg_23 wrote:
I hope that this idea is implemented and if not this year maybe down the road.

Thanks nate.

Yeah...no pressure. This year or sometime in the future would be cool.

If not this year, we can always post our own. I'm really keen to see what other's consider their best of the year.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: