StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Why do YOU listen to scores?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Why do you listen to scores? Select your best answer:
To relive my favorite moments in movies I love
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Because great music is great music, whatever the source
78%
 78%  [ 25 ]
Another reason (please share!)
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 32

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:17 am   Post subject: Why do YOU listen to scores? Reply with quote

I'm curious to see why people listen to scores. (Obviously you do, or you would not have come here.)

For me, it's about the movies. I have a hard time liking music without a context to go with it, even if I have to invent one. That's why I can't warm up to classical music that is titled with numbers. But scores capture the feeling of my favorite stories and characters.

So why do you listen to scores?
Denmark Armand
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 7352

Armand is offline View user's profile Send private message Armand's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I listen to soundtracks to remember scenes in film I love, but that's not the main reason.
I get inspired by the music, it gives me a feeling that I just need to express through a poem, a drawing or a photo.
The feelings I get are as mixed as the music, meaning that I don't always get the same feeling from the same piece of music. It changes, and that makes it even better.

Once I was drawing while listening to sst, drawing because of the music that was here when I turned on, but as it happen here on sst the track ends and a new one starts. The music that day was so different that my drawing ended up being a complete mess, but in an interresting way Smile

- Ninomiya Kazunari
(from the song Niji/Rainbow)
USA Obi-son
Captain
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I listen for the feelings that it can bring out in you from the score. What makes a great score is when it reaches down and touches your soul to being life to you. Very Happy Yes i just made that up.
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to admit that I have a certain weakness for dramatic, orchestral music (preferably with a vast choir in the background... Very Happy) and quite a lot of movie scores (or parts of them, anyway) fit that description.

I very rarely "relive the movie", unless it's something I've seen a million times or I remember that particular scene for some other reason (mostly when it was especially ridiculous, scary, or near the end).

"Throne Room" from STAR WARS comes to mind... Smile
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 10213

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:49 pm   Post subject: Music to me... Reply with quote

I think one of the things about sound tracks is the different styles. There is fast and jazzy or slow and smoooth. There are classical pieces to set a mood, and there are pieces to make the scary movie just a bit more on the edge.
I am not a music aficionado, but it just makes me feel better. Inner peace I guess.
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's not only an accompaniment for a movie, it's also a musical event.
I'm always imagining many of these pieces performed at big concert halls, but on the other hand it's always nice to sit in a chair and relive many movie scenes in your imagination... Wink

Great thread idea, LadyInque! Smile
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 2223

tranzishun is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View tranzishun's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

for me it's the emotions and mood the music stirs up inside of me weather it's watching a film, or listening to the soundtrack or seeing a live performance film score is some of the most deeply felt music ever created in my opinion. It is cool to relive moments from the film but the music often takes me other places. Film score although made to accompany a film is music that can stand alone without picture just like reading a book creates an image all your own film music can do the same thing.
USA Jorelson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 12124

Jorelson is offline View user's profile Send private message Jorelson's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Tranzishun, for me it is definitely the emotions that the musical score revives in me. For the most part, I don't listen to scores from films I haven't seen as I can't relate them to any particular scene or emotional response.

However, I have purposely watched films after hearing part of it's score because the music itself was so moving.

Granted, beautiful music is beautiful music, and there are many scores I am experiencing and discovering just listening to SST, but, for me, I need that connection to bring out the emotion I experienced when I first heard the piece with the film.
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I feel like a goober. Everyone here seems to love music for its own sake so much, and I just can't always get into it. Sigh.

On an unrelated note, I just love the Christmas-themed avatars some people have. Cool!
USA tranzishun
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 2223

tranzishun is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View tranzishun's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorelson, i hear you about watching the movie first as that is most often how i make my decision to purchase a score however i have made quite a few score purchases without seeing the film. i am a very big movie fan as well but i do have some scores that i don't also own the movie which most of the time is due to the music being much better than the film. Wink
Pauldrescool
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 16749

Pauldrescool is offline View user's profile Send private message Pauldrescool's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Because great music is great music, etc... Wink
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot one of the reasons for which I listen. I like to listen to music while I study, but music with words is distracting. So scores accompany me quite nicely in those situations. And the occasional vocal track is good for getting me to look up, refocus my eyes, that sort of thing. That's how I do it at home, too. Listen to a mix of my score CDs, with vocals thrown in.
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

To tell the truth I am not specifically sure when and why I made the transition to listening to film scores. I have always loved to watch movies and never really paid much attention to the score in movies until I saw Tombstone and heard that main theme. The theme just blew me away and I had to have the CD. Once I got that CD it was just a domino effect from there. So, I guess in some respects I listen to the music because it reminds me of the movie and sometimes I listen to it because I enjoy it. All the pop stuff that I used to listen to doesn't have much 'staying power' while I can replay a score over and over again and rarely get sick of it.

As others have mentioned, I also think film scores generally provide good background music without being too distracting. I have always been a person that likes to have some kind of noise, be it television or music, playing while I am working.
Ensign

Member#: 14735

Ruka is offline View user's profile Send private message Ruka's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The music to a film can tell the story to the film...dramatic at certain parts, mellow at others. Each score is different and the complexity to the scores is why I keep coming back to them. Some themes just stick in your mind.
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I can actually remember sitting in a darkened theatre back in 1977, just as Star Wars had begun, and turning to my friend and saying "Geez, this score is a bit over-the-top"! Strangely, I also remember lying on the living room floor with my double-LP Star Wars album, poring over the photos and liner notes. Somehow I went from dissing a JW score to playing it endlessly.

Whatever happened, what was true then is also true now: while I can't explain a score's artisitic merit, or even articulate why I like a score, it does enable me to "relive" the movie or recall fond memories from seeing it, probably more so than actually re-watching the movie.

I am particularly drawn to scores that are more dramatic. Sometimes when I hear an emotional or suspensful cue I often find my imagination conjuring up a trailer to a make-believe movie that I would like to make (no doubt the last vestige of a once passionate desire to be a film director).

My favorite themes always effect me beyond their funtion in the movie. They are the ones that leave me sad or inspired or motivated. Film music really provides a measure of temperance to my character. It helps me try and be a better person is what I trying to say, if that doesn't sound pompous. Pop and rock'n'roll were for a time when I was young and foolish and impetuous. Film music is perfect for me now when there is more time in my life for reflection.

That's not to say that classical music and youth are incompatible. Quite the opposite. It shapes and matures us in ways that pop music never can: it just doesn't have the vanity and posturing and preoccupation with image. It is both cerebral and emotional.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: