StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Rating Individual Tracks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Do you think we should be able to rate individual tracks?
Yes
44%
 44%  [ 12 ]
No
55%
 55%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 27

USA LOTRKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13511

LOTRKing is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LOTRKing's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:16 pm   Post subject: Rating Individual Tracks Reply with quote

I think it might be helpful to people looking for something good to request to have individual songs rated with stars, in addition to having the entire soundtrack being rated. This will let people know what the best tracks on a certain ST are and also what the not-so-good tracks on a certain ST are. Also, many people rate a ST after only hearing two or three songs from it. If they rate after only those few, they may not rate it as high or low as they think it deserves had they heard the whole ST. By rating each individual track, there can be sure they are giving the rating they want to give. It would also help Jeric in "cleaning out" the playlist, as he wants to do this year. This way, maybe he would only take out the low-rated tracks as opposed to entire soundtracks.

Anyways, there's my two cents, what do you guys think?

-LOTRKing
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if we "should" be able to rate individual tracks, but otherwise I'm totally in favor of the idea.
There are actually very few STs where I like every single track and more than a couple where I just like one track or three.
I try not to rate an album before I have listend to every single piece of music on it, but that way it can take weeks before I feel "qualified" to rate it.
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 11136

stefan_nl is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View stefan_nl's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice posting LOTR, although it's not a new idea

I'm undecided on the individual track rating.

It's nice to see how others value the tracks.

My fear is that (new) members will only look at the rating of a track to request something and not try something that is new for them. This has a potential negative effect on the variety of the playlist. It might turn SST into a station where you hear the popular tracks every couple of days in a slightly different order.
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

stefan_nl wrote:
My fear is that (new) members will only look at the rating of a track to request something and not try something that is new for them. This has a potential negative effect on the variety of the playlist. It might turn SST into a station where you hear the popular tracks every couple of days in a slightly different order.

You are absolutely right Stefan.

But on the other hand, we have info on how many times the cue has been requested and it can already be some kind of guide for requesters to the most popular tracks...

The result is: I'm undecided how to vote Smile

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted no. Personally, the overall rating of an album gives me an idea whether a soundtrack is worth owning or not. If we did the individual track rating, I guess I could base it on how many tracks have good ratings(example: 2 out of 12 songs have high ratings). Of course, that's my two cents worth.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

stefan_nl wrote:

Good point.

Also, there are @ 47,000 tracks to review. That's a formidable task even for SST!
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 16

Wolf is offline View user's profile Send private message Wolf's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted no. This is because it would be night impossible to rate all the tracks. We are having a problem to rate all the albums right now... so think how much it would take for tracks.

Then as nate said, it would have a negative effect on requesting, with people tending to request only the well rated tracks and not requesting the low ones or neglecting the unrated ones.

My two euro cents.
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I also voted no for several reasons including some of the ones mentioned already in this thread. But there was another reason I voted no and has not been mentioned in this thread yet. Recently, SST instituted the 'review album' feature. Personally I think if you would like to rate individual tracks then writing a review and covering what are the best tracks would be the best way to 'rate' the album. This will provide more information and be more useful for someone who is interested in selecting music from a CD.

I think the star rating system is so subjective but works well enough for rating an entire album, rating each individual track with the 'star system' would seem to be overkill. Just my two cents on the subject.
UK neowardog
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 16905

neowardog is offline View user's profile Send private message neowardog's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be quite good to be able to rate individual tracks but to also keep the album rating aswell, because sometimes if i find out about a new release and want to request it for the queue, i don't always know which track to pick and might end up picking the only bad track!
France Alchemist VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd not rate individual tracks of a soundtrack -- but I could imagine rating individual tracks of a compilation for instance.
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted no. Simply for the point that Wolf makes. Rating is already difficult for the albums we have in the catalog. Rating individual tracks would be many times worse, probably be a factor of 10 or more. Plus, I would think that the coding involved for the site to keep track of this data on the database would take up far too much memory on the server and possibly bog down the operation of SST.

Nice idea, but not justified in my thinking.

If you think a particular track needs to be abolished from SST, set up a forum poll in the playlist section.

neowardog wrote:
I think it would be quite good to be able to rate individual tracks but to also keep the album rating aswell, because sometimes if i find out about a new release and want to request it for the queue, i don't always know which track to pick and might end up picking the only bad track!

If you request a bad track, that is a bad track to you but not to everyone. Beauty is in the eye, in this case ear, of the beholder. Just don't request that track for yourself again! Wink

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf wrote:
Then as nate said, it would have a negative effect on requesting, with people tending to request only the well rated tracks and not requesting the low ones or neglecting the unrated ones.

I'm impressed Wolf. I've never met someone that was able to refer to what someone said before they actually said it! Shocked Wink

Laughing

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
Wolf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 16

Wolf is offline View user's profile Send private message Wolf's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

genericdragon wrote:
Wolf wrote:

I'm impressed Wolf. I've never met someone that was able to refer to what someone said before they actually said it! Shocked Wink

Laughing

I must have made a mistake somewhere... but I can't remember who I was quoting in reality.

lol, I'll leave it as it is... Wink
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 10600

lastdomino is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View lastdomino's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted no. I really like this station and the website but it seems to have a lot of things that complicate it. Perhaps one more is not such a good idea. The rating on the album does give me an idea of what the album might contain - after that, why not just try something new to check it out. Smile
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've changed my mind on this.

I love the idea of individual tracks having their own ratings, in order to make informed requests, and to guide purchase of music. But I think in practice it just would not fly for all the reasons pointed out by others here.

Neutral
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: