StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Phillip Glass Concert and Lecture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Cinder VIP (subscribed member)
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 10213

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:08 pm   Post subject: Phillip Glass Concert and Lecture Reply with quote

I know he is not at the top of most folks list, but hey he is a composer and the price was right!

Feb. 16 Performance by Composer Philip Glass is SOLD OUT!

Tacoma, Wash. – Area music lovers have a rare opportunity to spend an evening with a musical legend on Friday, Feb. 16, when celebrated American composer Philip Glass visits the University of Puget Sound campus. Often described as the greatest living composer, Glass will take the audience on a journey of his experiences through his multimedia presentation, Creating and Collaborating a Life in Music. The performance begins at 8 p.m. in Schneebeck Concert Hall. It is open to the public and admission is just $10. Tickets are required and advance purchase is recommended. Tickets may be purchased on campus or by calling 253.879.3419.

Since his breakthrough piece, Music in Twelve Parts in 1974, and his opera Einstein on the Beach in 1976-a five hour epic that is now seen as a landmark in 20th century musical theater-Glass has been called the most powerful composer of our time. Philip Glass continues to engage the imagination of the world with his compelling, fascinating, and sometimes challenging “minimalist” style.

Glass’ repertoire includes music for opera, dance, theater, chamber ensemble, orchestra, film-and hybrid works that do not seem to conform to any one particular genre. His film scores include Kundun, The Truman Show, and The Hours, which earned him Academy Award, Golden Globe, and Grammy nominations, along with a BAFTA award in Film Music from the British Academy of Film and Television Arts.

After decades in the music business, Glass shows no signs of slowing down. He continues to produce music for diverse audiences, including recent film scores for Errol Morris’ Academy Award-winning documentary The Fog of War, George Butler’s Roving Mars IMAX project, and Neil Burger’s The Illusionist, as well as being commissioned to compose a piece in celebration of the Olympics held in Athens, Greece, in 2004.

Glass’ performance at Puget Sound is sponsored by the Susan Resneck Pierce Lecture Series in Public Affairs and the Arts, named for the president emerita of University of Puget Sound. The series brings intellectuals, writers, and artists to the university to talk about interesting and challenging ideas that will stimulate further exploration and discussion on campus. Past Pierce lecturers include Cornel West, Poet Laureate of the United States Robert Pinsky, New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman, playwright/actress Anna Deavere Smith, and journalist/historian David Halberstam.
Lieutenant

Member#: 3569

jackkerouac127 is offline View user's profile Send private message View jackkerouac127's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had known about this, I love this guys music
USA Cinder VIP (subscribed member)
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 10213

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:26 pm   Post subject: The morning after.... Reply with quote

My music education moves on. My friend Tim and I attended this event. It was not the event of a life time but it was an event. We arrived and got a good seat, however in that hall all seats are good. Perhaps it held 300 at most. Nice and small. Started late, not a good sign. but it was ok.
The President of the University Of Puget Sound gave a really nice introduction. What made it so nice was he had seen Philip Glass when he was a young college man. He said he had always felt a connection. The stage had only a grand piano, a table and chair and the podium on it.
Mr. Glass came out and sat at the desk. He proceeded to chat! He had come to discuss the act of combining one talent with another, namely music. He made it point by playing the piano as an accompaniment to three different works of someone else! Yes I was disappointed. And no it was good. Tim liked it, so that was nice.
The first piece was an opera he and someone else had done. So we saw about 10 slides and Glass played the music that would have one with it. OH it was Mr. Einstein at the Beach. or on the beach which ever.
The second one was children. We viewed them as they were watching something. Just sitting there not looking at us, the camera,but we saw their faces and how they looked were what was important. When it was done, the note said the children had been watching television. They were very intense.
Finally, the last piece was something he had done back in the 1970’s when The Vietnam war was raging. It was Allen Ginsburg poetry read by The man, and then Glass played to the reading. He says he still does that with Patty Smith reading and often reading Ginsburg.
They a few questions from the floor and that was that! Tim and I agreed it was good and we got it as did half the audience because they were our age, but the college kids, naaa went over their heads due to lack of experience.
One thing I noticed was the style of his work. I like his score from 'The Hours'. I could hear that same style of constant repeating in the three pieces he demonstrated. He made a comment about that as well. "I write it, I expect it to be played as written. I put the repeating movements in for a point. However, when someone else plays my works, I do expect to be done with their own style. Once I heard a person play a piece and it was so sweet and mellow. I told him I liked it very much, just never do it that way again!"
He looked liked someone you would walk on by if you passed them on the street. He reminded me of, trying to think of a character we both know, but alas, no one comes to mind. Plain and simple for sure. I was hoping for an encore of at least one piece of music completely. I guess he was there for a reason and that was that.
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thank you for sharing Cinder!

Philip Glass is not my favorite composer but I respect his works, and I like the scores he made for The Hours and The Truman Show. Powaqqatsi is maybe a bit too much on the minimalist side but it's not bad either Wink
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Alchemist wrote:
Philip Glass is not my favorite composer but I respect his works...

Same here, Al, but I know it's because I don't understand him. Perhaps it's like opera or Shakespeare or the like - the more you study and understand them, the more you appreciate the genius that created it.

Last night I watched "The Illusionist", with music by Glass. Although it was unmistakably a Glass score, it was different than his usual faire because he used a large orchestra. Sometimes it was beautiful, sometimes austere, but certainly befitting this lush, period film. Glass added another color and dimension that greatly added to the tone of The Illusionist. He may well win Best Original Score (although he's up against tough competition with Pan's Labyrinth.)

That said, at times the music annoyed me (as Glass' music sometimes does because of its repetitiveness) and it took me right out of the story. I can't help but wonder how much more enjoyable the movie would have been if it had been scored by someone like Christopher Young, Patrick Doyle, or Aaron Zigman, just to name a few.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: