StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Has the Academy gone mad???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 

What do you think of Santaolallas win?
Oh my god, they're out of their mind!!!
54%
 54%  [ 17 ]
Yeah, great. No themes, no composing talent... give him another one!
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Don't care...
19%
 19%  [ 6 ]
What's a Santaolalla?
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 31

Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:41 am   Post subject: Has the Academy gone mad??? Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I think the title says it all: Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Gustavo Santaolalla now has 2 OSCARS.
That's one more than Jerry Goldsmith, Elmer Bernstein, Bernard Herrmann, Elliot Goldenthal, Ennio Morricone...
and 2 more than Thomas Newman, Marco Beltrami, Carter Burwell,...

So why am I writing this?
Because this is a catastrophe!!!
Everyone else I've listed should have (under circumstances like this) won a great amount of oscars, because everyone else on this list (and you know how to get it bigger!) IS a composer with style, innovation, technique, phantasy AND TALENT!!

Usually I would say "No big deal", but this fact now really p*ss*s me off!
Santaolalla is - and I'm sure I'm not alone with this point of view - no serious composer with any kind of style, technique or innovation... and TALENT!

He just plucks his guitar a little bit and lets someone else ditch some little string orchestra with it. This may be enough for some nice pop/jazz songs, but not for a filmscore, not to speak of concertworks.

The Academy Awards have turned into a farce for me, and it will never mean the same to me anymore as it did earlier!
It seems as if they're thinking something like "We can't give Babel too much prices... Oh, what about BEST ORIGINAL SCORE? Nobody cares anyway." or even worse.

And as a proud member of SST, a musician/composer and filmmusic lover, I just may add:
O Yes, we DO care!

If you share this point of view, please feel free too add statements about your anger.
Also if you have positive statements, ideas, critical information, murder notes (Wink)... come on, post it!

On a side-note: Soundtrack.Net has aired an exclusive podcast about this years "Society of Composers and Lyricist Oscar Nominee Reception"-Celebration, including interviews with the nominees Desplat, Glass, Newman, Santaolalla and Navarette.

Last edited by bpewien on Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Norway Muriel VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

Member#: 333

Muriel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Muriel's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only that, but they also gave the Oscar for Best Original Song to Melissa Etheridge with "I Need to Wake Up" (from the powerpoint presentation "An Inconvenient Truth"). And to top it off, they had nominated "Dreamgirls" three times in that same category.
USA LOTRKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13511

LOTRKing is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LOTRKing's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really hopin to see Pan's Labyrinth win the best score. Sad But oh well, life goes on, there is always next year for the Academy to make up for it. (Or to re-prove their stupidity). But hey, at least Ennio finally got an Oscar last night! Smile

-LOTRKing
Captain
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a joke. pan's labyrinth should have won. But it is Hollywood. *cough* Ripoff *cough*
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, their choice of talent has been lacking for years. I'm not in the least suprised that they didn't give Pan a chance.
Lieutenant

Member#: 12946

RobW720 is offline View user's profile Send private message View RobW720's Favorites
AIM Address
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

They chose some winners where my first responce was.... "whaaaa?!?!"

*in a negative light*

but then again, for some other ones i was more like "whaaaa?!?!"
*in a good way*

the oscars are people in the same industry patting each other on the back. its never the general public saying who they loved the best, just a select group of people who make the call.

however, i was happy with some of the choices last night.

My views do not reflect that of my employers.
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't Santaolalla a disease from a virus found in chicken? Wink

I'm not impressed with the score of Babel. A few plunks of the guitar string doesn't mean it's a score.

I feel that the Academy has gone out of it's way to push their own statements... "support Global Warming!" [win: An Inconvenient Truth (the powerpoint presentation. And Melissa Etheridge with "I Need to Wake Up"]... neither of these, I feel, should have won. Last years message apparently was "support Rap music!" with the win of "It's Hard Out Here for A Pimp".

I feel that Patience from Dreamgirls was more deserving of the award. That's just my opinion.

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

genericdragon wrote:
Isn't Santaolalla a disease from a virus found in chicken? Wink

I'm afraid not, because if it was there would be a cure... Confused
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 196

Furyen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Furyen's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

KUDOS!! Bpewien! You're voice has been heard aloud! But don't worry, El Santaolalla's score for Babel will be yet another footnote in the Academy archives, just like Delerue's A little romance. (no offense to Delerue fans but ST: TMP Represent!!!) In time, most of us will realize that it's not the awards that them famous. Example: *Michael Kamen*

...And that was my two cents.

Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmm... I don't think I've ever even heard of Santaolalla, so I can't tell if his music is good or bad.
Anyway, I've never understood the point of giving awards for stuff like best movie, song, actor, etc. etc. The fact that something or other got a prize (or not) doesn't really influence me.
Peoples' tastes are just too diverse. I'm sure there is a Santaolalla fan club somewhere that's still celebrating... Wink
Captain
Captain

aw

MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Furyen wrote:
KUDOS!! Bpewien! You're voice has been heard aloud! But don't worry, El Santaolalla's score for Babel will be yet another footnote in the Academy archives, just like Delerue's A little romance. (no offense to Delerue fans but ST: TMP Represent!!!) In time, most of us will realize that it's not the awards that them famous. Example: *Michael Kamen*
...And that was my two cents.

Yeah, The Motion Picture should've won... Wink
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 849

FoxMcleod64 is offline View user's profile Send private message View FoxMcleod64's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Santaolalla winning was definately questionable in my opinion, but to me what really screams to me that the Academy has gone mad was in the Animated Film catagory that Happy Feet won over Cars! I was screaming obscenities at the TV.

Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is online now View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some comments I posted in another thread regarding this whole fiasco:

Natedogg_23 wrote:
I am not necessarily directly faulting Gustavo (as a side note, great job on the spelling of the last name Furyen ) either. I agree that the Academy deserves the blame.

The thing that disappoints me the most is the Oscars are watched by a lot of people and most that are watching have little to no knowledge of film scores. Thus, by Gustavo winning the Oscar many people think Babel is the best film score. I think it is sad because I believe most will agree that Babel was not the best score of 2006. But since it won it is represented as the best, which doesn't help convert people, who are not entirely familiar with film scores, to experience music which is truly amazing.

I would like to add that I do truly find this whole situation disheartening. When they are showing the opening to the awards they interview Thomas Newman saying [paraphrasing]:
Interviewer: "you have been nominated and lost 7 times"
T. Newman: "Eight, counting this one"

I think it is great he can joke about it, but isn't it truly sad when a composer has lost hope and would rather poke fun about it.

Additionally, I think it is wonderful that Ennio Morricone finally got an Oscar that he very much deserved, but still dishearening that it was an honorary Oscar. That is basically saying, we know you do good work but sorry for messing up all these years so here is your Oscar. AND then you think, wow he finally got the Oscar he deserved and then come to find out Gustavo wins one more than Ennio right afterwards (not to mention Gustavo has more than Jerry Goldsmith, Thomas Newman etc etc). Such a shame really!

Well, the Academy Awards for Best Score mean zilch to me now. So, I truly look forward to the true awards, THE SST AWARDS!!!
USA LOTRKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13511

LOTRKing is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LOTRKing's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Natedogg_23 wrote:
So, I truly look forward to the true awards, THE SST AWARDS!!!

Just curious, do we actually write to the winners of the SST awards to tell them that they've won? If so, have we ever gotten responses?

-LOTRKing
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet but we probably will this year.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: