StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

H. G. Wells

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 

What is you favorite H. G. Wells novel? (Please do NOT base you answer on movie adaptations of his novels!)
The Time Machine
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
The Island of Doctor Moreau
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Invisible Man
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
War of the Worlds
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
The First Men in the Moon
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other (Please tell us!)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

USA LOTRKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13511

LOTRKing is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LOTRKing's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:12 pm   Post subject: H. G. Wells Reply with quote

Anyone else here an H. G. Wells fan? Smile If so, please vote in the above poll, tell us what your favorite H. G. Wells novel is and why it is your favorite.

Personally, H. G. Wells is my favorite author, he truly is the father of science fiction literature. Anyone who likes scifi is indebted to him. His stories are full of adventure and of scientific prophesies that often came true.

My favorite H. G. Wells novel is... The Time Machine. Now before you say, "LOTRKing! Isn't it enough that you request the Time Machine ST all the time? Does it have to be one of your favorite books too???", please read how my love for The Time Machine novel and The Time Machine soundtrack are (almost) NOT related.

So why is The Time Machine my favorite H. G. Wells novel? One, because the subject of time travel fascinates me. Two, because I love the hidden message in the novel, even if it isn't totally applicable today. Three, and most importantly, because it is simply an awesome sci-fi adventure novel! A must read for everyone! Smile

-LOTRKing
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry... but when I saw this comic strip, I couldn't help thinking about this poll...Laughing

Otherwise I got nothing to say. Cool
I never read an H. G. Wells novel. Do you think I should? Wink
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13511

LOTRKing is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LOTRKing's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing LOL alien, I love that comic strip! As for whether you should read H.G. Wells: YES!!! Any of the above books would be a good place to start, though I'd recommend The Time Machine, or War of the Worlds, as they are my two most favorite and his two most famous. The same goes to anyone else who hasn't read H.G. Wells! Wink

So are there really only three H.G. Wells readers here? Neutral

-LOTRKing
founder of the KBFC
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey LOTRKing,

I've been meaning to respond to your post for awhile, so...

I have to admit something that may sound strange: you see, I had never read a Wells novel before seeing The Time Machine movie. I liked the movie quite a bit, so I thought I should read the novel, and *gasp* if you believe it, I liked the movie MUCH better than the novel! Embarassed

Here's why: even though the movie had its share of Hollywood ridiculousness (like the 19th-century scientist who inexplicably excels at hand-to-hand combat), it had an important element that the novel lacked completely--namely, character development. You see, in the movie, the audience came to like the poor old professor and even feel sorry for him because Spoiler:
he lost his poor darling and tried desperately and in vain to use his machine to save her.
The movie also contained a somewhat profound moral related to time travel, namely Spoiler:
that you cannot change the past, but you can change the future.
OK, the screenwriter completely made that one up, as it's not found in the novel, but you have to admit, it's at least a somewhat profound moral.

You are definitely right about Wells and his unarguable and timeless influence on science fiction. And as far as The Time Machine goes, yes, he talked of time as a forth dimension before Einstein proved it mathematically, and yes, he worked in a sort of commentary on society that, even though is not as relevant today, he handled in a very cool way. But other than that, the novel gives me no reason to care about the professor or any of the other characters, it barely bothers to describe any of the scenes or surroundings, and it relates in un ultimately uninteresting way a rather straightforward plot. Rolling Eyes

My assessment of Wells: If you like sci-fi ideas that were cool or even radical 200 years ago and have long since been beaten to death, he's for you. If you are in to things like interesting plots, interesting characters with interesting motivations, or descriptive writing, look elsewhere.

Sorry, but there's my two cents.

Wink
Canada ld80061
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 18198

ld80061 is offline View user's profile Send private message View ld80061's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for the Invisible Man, mainly because I liked the quality of the writing. The writing in The Time Machine is a bit too 'ornate' for me. Not Wells fault, really: it was the way writers were, back then.
03 Feb 10 - 18:21:14 > taryn: LD Yes mooooood music Cool
Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anybody would like to read some H. G. Wells novels without buying a printed version:

http://www.literaturepage.com/authors/H.-G.-Wells.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: