StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Why New Music Doesn't Sound As Good As It Did

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:28 am   Post subject: Why New Music Doesn't Sound As Good As It Did Reply with quote

I'm sure the educated folks here can add further detail to this:

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/33549

jeff
sdg
USA jackkerouac127
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 3569

jackkerouac127 is offline View user's profile Send private message View jackkerouac127's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes perfect sense. Its like zooming in on a picture file. The closer you zoom in, the worse the picture quality gets. When I teach dynamics to my beginning music students, a great contrast to the concept I use is music on the radio. Radio music stays the same dynamic, and we (the class) need to show contrasting dynamics when we play.

Cool article j2brown.
Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL... I guess I'm one of those undiscerning listeners who equals loud with good. I have to admit that I never even noticed that newer CDs sound less clear than older ones.... Wink
The volume difference I have noticed, but all it ever did was annoy me. I mostly set my music to shuffle and I dislike having to fiddle with the volume knob all the time.
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 18198

ld80061 is offline View user's profile Send private message View ld80061's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

As the article says, modern audio equipment comes with a volume dial - usually multiple ones!
03 Feb 10 - 18:21:14 > taryn: LD Yes mooooood music Cool
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this trend has affected, and to what degree, non-pop albums, like score soundtracks, classical music, and opera. You would think that those listeners might be more discerning, or at least, less seduced by just making everything louder.

"And I like my music like I like my life
Everything Louder than Everything Else!"
-- Meat Loaf
USA Furyen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 196

Furyen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Furyen's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure we're all waiting for some new renaissance period to come around and change our creative patterns on music.

genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting article J2.

I will add, even though it has little to do with the article, that vinyl recordings are actually a better quality than CDs... they just don't last as long. Wink

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
USA Furyen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Furyen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Furyen's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I DISAGREE!!! Razz

genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

you disagree on what furyen? that my comment has little to do with the article or that vinyl is better than CD?

or both... Wink Laughing

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
USA Furyen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

genericdragon wrote:
you disagree on what furyen? that my comment has little to do with the article or that vinyl is better than CD?

I disagree with Myself. Wink

I've actually tested that theory years ago on which sounds better. I found (if the pops and cracks were screened out from the vinyls) that they do sound almost alike. (And I strain the word "almost") But in the end, CD wins.

mrfinnigan
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 18731

mrfinnigan is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website mrfinnigan's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the vinyl is higher quality and tends to have "ritcher" sound. The entire process of digitizing and compressing music is "destructive"... that is, it has to remove parts of the sound in order to work. Binary can only hold so much information, you know. However, most compression techniques use "smart" algorithms that take out pitches that the ear tends to not hear... such as sounds below 20 Hz or above 20 KHz (20,000 Hz) and slowly works its way inward. Besides, CDs last longer than records anyway.

Anyways, I get what they're trying to say (I worked as a sound board tech for 2 years). Adding volume actually degrades the louder parts, making you able to hear background parts more clearly at the expense of the foreground.

Alien_avatar: why don't you get a media player that has Sound Check, like iTunes? Razz
USA weaponlordzero
Captain
Captain

Member#: 15677

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the audio engineer at the church I go to. I have a hard time with the audio compression because the pastor wants the "modern" skwished loud sound, but he wants his voice to sound a certain way (i.e.- with dynamics). He doesn't really understand how you get the skwished sound (yes I'm spelling that wrong on purpose), but he doesn't care. That's what he wants. Period. Personally, I think having the compression helps to a certain degree to be able to hear and distinguish the many instruments in the composition. However, just having one blast of volume and no variation can be tiring and boring at the same time. Listen to classical music sometime. Their skill is often reflected in the difference between the very quiet and very loud. Ask a seasoned player (especially a brass player to play soft then loud). Those dynamics were what kept the listener interested and helped the composer illustrate feelings.
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

@mrfinnigan: I was mostly talking about listening to music over headphones while walking down a noisy street or riding the subway or something of that sort. I've thought about my "problem" and I think it's mostly about having different types of music on my iPod (mostly metal and STs)... and the STs are almost always less loud than my other music. But I think that might just be because they're sort of different...Wink
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 18731

mrfinnigan is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website mrfinnigan's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

@alien: I belive the Sound Check on iTunes carries over to the iPod, but it's been a while since I've had an iPod (the consequence of living a very active lifestyle).

I worked at my church audio board (before I moved Crying or Very sad ) and I was lucky to have a pastor that understood the basic ideas of sound (what "Loudness" controls do, floor mics, booms, etc). He also backed off and let me do my job (thank God), but we never really got into digital audio recording (two tape decks and a reel-to-reel... yay!) until just before I left, so I don't really know how that worked out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: