StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

WIKIPEDIA -- It is entertaining . . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Sound_Track
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 14512

Sound_Track is offline View user's profile Send private message Sound_Track's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:42 am   Post subject: WIKIPEDIA -- It is entertaining . . . . Reply with quote

I enjoy reading stories over at WIKIPEDIA. It's a nice summary of things I might not know anything about. Even a revered Encyclopedia like World Book, has it's "biased" and "filtered" sources.....

So those who claim that there's an unbiased definitve source for information are sadly delusioned . . . .

Looks like those from business and politics and religion have their own vested interest to protect on the public encyclopedia WIKIPEDIA.

http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_tech/article2874112.ece
Cadet 3

Member#: 18731

mrfinnigan is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website mrfinnigan's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia has to be one of the best sources of information on Earth. If there's something wrong, generally, that problem will be fixed soon (despite what college professors may tell you). I'm an active contributor (mostly for Linux distributions... lol) and personally LOVE what Wikipedia is trying to do. It's also a great way to find out about new stuff (I found out about QUAKE and Unreal Tournament by clicking on "See Also" links, starting off at Doom).

Although Wikipedia is just like Google--There will ALWAYS, inevitably, be people that say it sucks. Well, I say that's wrong.
PomPom
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 11288

PomPom is offline View user's profile Send private message PomPom's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The big problem with Wiki is that as everyone can contribute, it also brings mistakes sometimes.

The general way to be sure is to compare with other references, or links.
Ensign

Member#: 3797

soundtrackradio is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website soundtrackradio's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiki is a great 'free' reference source for most things it also has it's problems like with any big Enterprise commercial or free. I like to read it quite regularly and use info for my projects. Smile
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 19172

ElJay is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ElJay's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:14 pm   Post subject: Re: WIKIPEDIA -- It is entertaining . . . . Reply with quote

Sound_Track wrote:
I enjoy reading stories over at WIKIPEDIA... So those who claim that there's an unbiased definitve source for information are sadly delusioned . ...

Hi, Sound_Track !

... good you bring this theme into discussion, very often in the SST Chat room Wikipedia Links are used for quick exchange of "definitions" or "background informations".

One basic rule everybody should follow in a media society. Don't trust anything on 1st view. I am working in the media businesses, and I am very astonished about how "simple" & "quick" the normal people as media consumers believe, what they get via different media channels (newspapers, eZines, TV etc. ...)

Sound_Track wrote:

Looks like those from business and politics and religion have their own vested interest to protect on the public encyclopedia WIKIPEDIA.

http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_tech/article2874112.ece

Why should it be different from the normal world ?? - Everywhere in every field, branch exist Lobbying, Corruption, Manipulation. Why should it be different at Wikipedia?! - It doesn't astonish to find there such forces and bad attempts of cosmetique PR work.

But... behind Wikipedia - as a social network project - is a Foundation (established in 2003), and the Co-Founder JIMBO (Jimmy D. Wales) has some really keen visions since the birth of Wikipedia in 2000-2001 to come to reality, especially to give access to the 3rd world cost free informations. That's an aspect I really miss in your view onto Wiki. Have a look at some projects...

Video of and notes from Jimmys Talk on Free Culture, Transparency, and Search
http://www.nowpublic.com/jimmy_wales_gives_talk_on_free_culture_transparency_and_search

The profile of JIMBO...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Wales

And it's not an organisation structure of WIKI where everything is decided "centralistic". That would destroy the spirit of (cost free) knowledge sharing. Nothing in this world is cost free. Wikipedia takes a lot of ressources of IT infrastructure, manpower and passion. - So many people enthusiastically like to edit, write and take part in this project. That's more important than the well known "negative forces" from side of huge giant concerns. We all know this from the past and the shadow of bad image, like with your link address, will fall back badly onto such intregants.

On my own I just test out to become an editor at Wikipedia in my fields of knowledge...
Profile: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:IMC-OnAir

... and I must say with my first experiences the same in the English spoken Wikipedia Community and in the German language Wikipedia: There exist harsh rules, very harsh. I was astonished what discipline there exist. Similar restrictive like in a regular busienss oriented, commercial corporation. The hurdels until an article is given free are high, very high. And everything is transparent. Each article you can see the history behind who edited. It's absolute transparent. No secrets behind.

A plenty of admins observe what happens anywhere and you immediatelly get a penalty if you hurt some of the rules, which are very, very clever and make sense to establish a qualitatively writing. It's much quicker a short reaction time of less 24 hours than in big corporations I made my experiences over years as consultant for strategic marketing.

That way I think you can confidence WIKIPEDIA till a specific edge. Much more than a commercial source (proof on your own how big the shares of political parties are of TV broadcasters, daily newspapers etc. ... That's everything else than transparency.)

Anyhow - this source of information, I mean WIki - only should be one source you take. A desk research of responsability less takes 3 different sources to proof the truth. Less...

Enjoy listening to good music ! - ElJay from Europe/Hamburg/Germany
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia is often made out as a big threat to serious academic work. But the fact of the matter is that people aren't supposed to be citing ANY kind of an encyclopedia, online or otherwise. If you're really wanting to demonstrate something, as ElJay here says, you'll want to point to a variety of acknowledged sources (e.g. books and articles).

Besides, Wikipedia is a lot of fun Smile
Canada Arya
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8715

Arya is offline View user's profile Send private message View Arya's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, our profs just about die anytime a student mentions Wikipedia, and for good reason. Lots of kids are dumb enough to try and use it as a cited source. I still use it all the time though, just for fun and random fact-finding missions.

You can use it for school work, I have before, but you use it to find real, trust-worthy sources elsewhere. The minute a marker sees "Wiki" anything in a work citied page they tend to suffer heart failure, so please, think of the markers. Razz
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: