StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

SST blog for notifications
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Should we have a blog for emergency notifications?
No, we're fine as it is
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Yes, this would be useful
93%
 93%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 15

BhelPuri
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5034

BhelPuri is offline View user's profile Send private message View BhelPuri's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:40 pm   Post subject: SST blog for notifications Reply with quote

First off, I just wanted to doff my hat at Jeric and team for their magnificent efforts in coping with the recent playlist/site trouble. Thanks are also due to the numerous folks who helped spread the word around about sst downtime and the alternate chat location.

I became aware of the recent sst downtime through an email (thanks zir). I also understand that GD has some sort of a mailing list that one can subscribe to for future notifications. With more than 300 listeners during peak hours, and many of them not knowing each other's email addresses, notifications through a mailing list might not be the best solution.

We know that SST being down is a rare occasion but I thought it might be a good idea to have an official SST blog site for emergency announcements in future. This way folks have an avenue to check (and obtain information) in case of SST downtime.

I'm suggesting a blog since it doesn't require any maintenance (just post as and when appropriate) and it would be hosted on a non-SST server (say Blogspot or Squarespace or Wordpress) so it would still be available during SST's downtime.

Allow only the mods/admin team the permission to post on the blog (but leave comments open to all to exchange info).

Setting up a blog doesn't require much. Just 5 minutes to register and you're done.

Of course, you need to display the location of the blog on SST to make people aware of it.

You might want to have just one common blog for 24seven.FM and use it for notifications for any/all of the channels (SST, Death.fm, Entranced.fm, 1980s.fm)
Netherlands stefan_nl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 11136

stefan_nl is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View stefan_nl's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:50 am   Post subject: excellent suggestion Reply with quote

This is a good idea. Even though I hope this should not be necessary in the future.
It seems logical to inform the listeners of major outages, especially VIP's because they support this great family of sites.

I know about the mailing list for SST, but am not aware of a mailing list for either EFM or DFM.
And since all sites are hosted on the same server a 24seven.fm blog would be the best option.
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

BP, keeping an SST emergency blog is a fantastic idea because it's less effort than maintaining an emergency mailing list.

Having the emergency mailing list is useful too, but it could be updated by asking active members to sign-up in a forum sticky/announcement.
Australia soundtrackradio
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 3797

soundtrackradio is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website soundtrackradio's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not have a SST blog? help get the message to members who may not visit here often(Like me). Laughing
Commander

Member#: 6471

Tjoe is offline View user's profile Send private message Tjoe's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

ah hahaha - 7 out of 7 voters (so far) said YES!

I, am number 7, of course Wink

Yep! A 24Seven blog would be great.

And definately block postings/comments from non-staff. Else you'll have 600 hits a day with people asking if the site died when it was likely their connection.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I approve this idea. I will prolly set something up.

EDIT: I just did :-) http://24sevenfm.wordpress.com/

Will fill it in, create user acounts for the crew etc. When I have the time.
France Alchemist VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, Cal! Thank you!
Lieutenant Commander

BhelPuri is offline View user's profile Send private message View BhelPuri's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Thanks everyone for chiming in! And thanks to Cal for setting it up so quick.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have put some content in. Now lets hope that no further content is needed. :-)
USA Cinder VIP (subscribed member)
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 10213

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:32 pm   Post subject: 24seven blog Reply with quote

Holy soundtrack!

That is a huge blog. I am in however! I did not linger, I could be reading really important data all night!

thanks so much this is a great idea.
But going to Saff's will be more fun!!
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:48 pm   Post subject: Re: excellent suggestion Reply with quote

stefan_nl wrote:
I know about the mailing list for SST, but am not aware of a mailing list for either EFM or DFM.
And since all sites are hosted on the same server a 24seven.fm blog would be the best option.

I whole heartedly agree about the blog. what cal created is great! Smile

as for the SST emergency email list, I have about 60 email addresses. All of them are from SST. I don't have anything for DFM or EFM. Unless someone else set up an emergency list for those 2 stations....

I feel that such a emergency list is obsolete with the new blog in existence. Wink

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
USA Cinder VIP (subscribed member)
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 10213

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:21 am   Post subject: Re: excellent suggestion Reply with quote

genericdragon wrote:

I feel that such a emergency list is obsolete with the new blog in existence. Wink

Oh NO! I think it is still a good thing. Many will not blog for one reason or another I fear. And a simple note on the ESSTL ( emergency SST list) is a good thing. If you don't want to do that.. yes you do! Wink
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say thanks for keeping the blog updated with mention of today's downtime. It was really helpful!

I do think you need to make more people aware of the blog. Perhaps displaying it somewhere on the main page would help.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't know this blog existed, but I am glad I do now. I remember posting somewhere in the message boards, asking for a thread just for emergencies, where updates could be posted. This is so much better than that, because what good is a thread if the site won't load? The blog page is great. Thanks for the effort, Cal.
Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

D@mn... I even bookmarked the blog, and I STILL forgot it existed! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: