StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Iron Man trailer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:10 pm   Post subject: Iron Man trailer Reply with quote

Good news Iron Man fans. The trailer is out!

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is that man wearing a trash can? Rolling Eyes
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm. I just saw the trailer. They had me, then they lost me. That is to say, it looked pretty cool, until he came out wearing a trash can and they actually played "I am Iron Man." That song is funny when you're playing it for Bender on Futurama, but in this context, it's too on the nose. Of course, I am not an Iron Man fan, so that may be why shots of IM in action did nothing for me. Clearly they did something for someone.

The first half of the trailer, however, is a movie I want to see.
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 12520

the_lake_effect is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View the_lake_effect's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

He's one man, working in a locked up laboratory/foundry - if that terrorist in the movie had access to cooler stuff, the suit that Tony Stark first built would have looked cooler. Then again, if his jailer had better resources, he wouldn't need Stark to built a missile because he'd have it already. Right???

You're imprisoned, forced to work on a project - you really want to get out - it's not like you're going to waste your time "making it look cool." You just want it to deflect bullets and shoot flames out of your palms. Death may be beautiful, unlike the one that brings it to you.

It's Iron Man, for crying out loud, people. How far do you need to suspend your disbelief? Isn't it crazy enough that he can build the suit that quickly with missile parts? If he did have the wickedest looking piece of armour coming out of that cell, wouldn't everyone instead be saying, "well, that's SIMPLY NOT BELIEVABLE." And then we would further question why certain governments pay defense contractors billions upon billions of dollars for missiles that DON'T fire... when all you had to do was lock Robert Downey Jr. in a jail cell and say "get to work."

Remember your first art project? Now you'd say, "gee, can I draw better now? Yeah, I can."

And that is how we learn and grow. You build one crappy looking Iron Man suit to bust out of jail. Then you get home alive to your billion-dollar factory and build a better one.

As for the song, yes, it's amusing. It did make me chuckle. For all this time, other movies and television shows have been using that song, and they weren't even the actual Iron Man. It was bound to happen.

Iron Man in action - isn't the point of making a movie about a character that he'd... oh, DO Something? They all can't be movies about nothing. Wait a sec... Seinfeld... the Movie? ohhhh... I'm stealing that one.

It's a TEASER. Granted, not a perfect teaser, but that's so rare these days. I think the problem is that for a teaser, it was too complex - teasers are supposed to TEASE, and it was too short for a truly full trailer. Paramount and Marvel need to work on their marketing machine.

Just for a little background, the central character is Tony Stark - a troubled, sleazy womanizing recurring alcoholic. I don't know where the heck they got the idea to pick Robert Downey Jr. Clearly, he won't be able to pull THAT off.

So how is such a jerk from the first half of the movie supposed to turn into hero? That's called character development.

Okay, that's all for now. *crosses fingers, hope this is a good one* Cool

Stories are for children, skyscrapers, and anyone wishing to reach for the stars.

The truthiness shall set you free.
Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I never even heard of "Iron Man" before it was announced they were going to make a movie. So I don't care much for the look of the tin suit... so what!?
As far as "suspension of disbelief" goes: they stick a man in a basement in the desert, and he comes up with a suit of combat armor that would make Imperial stormtroopers weep with envy. Likelihood: 0.00001%
If I buy that, why shouldn't I be disappointed that he couldn't manage to manufacture a cool-looking suit!?
...but don't worry, I'll probably watch it anyway when it comes out. Razz
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to have offended that faithful.

I certainly hope you like the movie, but as an outsider, I don't see much to recommend it to me.

For all my ignorance, I do know something of the character of Tony Stark. In fact, I think the trailer showed it nicely. Sounds like a reall a$$hole. I love it. A womanizing jerk can make for an enjoyable protagonist, maybe an antihero. Frankly, I'm not sure I want him to be a hero, and I am still not sold on ANY of the suits. I can suspend my disbelief quite a ways. It's not that I don't believe in the suits, or believe that an iron-clad man can fly. It's simply that I don't care. The marketing has yet to make me care. As for somebody doing something, I think I'd rather watch the a$$hole than they guy in the iron costume.

And death is beautiful? Where did that come from?
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh... trash can didn't bother me.

Iron man = Cool
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray!! This was one of the few comics I read as a kid. Thanks for posting the link genericdragon!

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USSR the_lake_effect
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 12520

the_lake_effect is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View the_lake_effect's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
I think I'd rather watch the a$$hole than they guy in the iron costume.

Have you seen Lord of War? That should cover that half of the persona.

Quote:

And death is beautiful? Where did that come from?

American Beauty? The works of Ingemar Bergman? Ellen Ripley when she kills aliens? Take your pick. Very Happy

A little background into the production - Gywneth Paltrow prepared for her role in this movie by reading her husband (Chris Martin)'s collection of Iron Man comics. Fine bedtime lullaby material for Apple.

*crosses fingers for She-Hulk movie...*

Stories are for children, skyscrapers, and anyone wishing to reach for the stars.

The truthiness shall set you free.
USA jackkerouac127
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 3569

jackkerouac127 is offline View user's profile Send private message View jackkerouac127's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy in a tin suit!!! Next thing you know people will be dressing up as bats!

Iron Man = Cool

Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark = Very Cool
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:
Hooray!! This was one of the few comics I read as a kid. Thanks for posting the link genericdragon!

Somehow I knew that you would enjoy the trailer Jeric. Maybe it's that you are part Iron Man with that helmet. Wink

First comic appearance of Iron Man:

Simple drawings. Simple designs. Simple stories. Thanks a lot Comics Code. Rolling Eyes

Ladyinque- I'm not sure why you thought the song "Iron Man" isn't right for the trailer. After all it is a Black Sabbath song about *gasp* the superhero Iron Man. Go figure.

Spoiler:
And Jethro Tull's Aqualung is about Marvel's Prince Namor, King of Atlantis.
Wink

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

genericdragon wrote:

Ladyinque- I'm not sure why you thought the song "Iron Man" isn't right for the trailer. After all it is a Black Sabbath song about *gasp* the superhero Iron Man.

Because I think that song has become something of a joke. The riff is popular and gets used in so many contexts. Also, acccording the Wikipedia (which I trust implicitly in all matters superhero) the song itself was retconned into the Iron Man mythos, which just seems a little on the nose. I'm also not convinced that the song is about the eponymous hero, but I'm not a Black Sabbath fan.

And, okay, my first exposure to the song was "I Am Santa Claus." There's nothing for it.
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=153897&s=143441&i=153869

Anyway, I can't take the song seriously, so I can't take the trailer seriously while it plays. And yes, I think it does need to be take seriously, at least a little.
USA LOTRKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13511

LOTRKing is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LOTRKing's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the trailer, and am a huge Marvel fan, though I am not a huge Iron Man fan (mostly because he has succeeded very well in screwing up Spider-Man's life right now). Wink But still, it should hopefully be a cool movie. Though the two as of yet unmade superhero movies I would most like to see? Silver Surfer, and Doctor Strange.

-LOTRKing
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LOTRKing wrote:
Though the two as of yet unmade superhero movies I would most like to see? Silver Surfer, and Doctor Strange.

-LOTRKing

well... not quite unmade. Doctor Strange has live-action and animated movies.

IMO, most Marvel live-action adaptations have been barely B-movie grade in story and FX, until X-men in 2000. Seeing a Silver Surfer and Doctor Strange movie would be great, especially with today's FX. Smile

I would also like to see Captain America or at least The Avengers live-action. Maybe tie X-Men, Spiderman, Hulk, Punisher and Iron Man in one big movie (as the Avengers)! Now that would be great! Very Happy

USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm not a reader of comics, but wasn't the Silver Surfer featured in the latest Fantastic Four movie?

...Or do we actually have two Silver Surfers out there in the comic world?

Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: