StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

SST Second Annual International Talk Like a Pirate Day
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Cinder VIP (subscribed member)
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 10213

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:15 pm   Post subject: SST Second Annual International Talk Like a Pirate Day Reply with quote

Avast me hearrrrttttiiesss and parrot parrot parrot!

The day is upcoming again. The day where co-workers look at you in stunned horror as you greet customers with a "Shiver me timberrsss!| or a "Walk the plank, ye varrrrmmiinnttt!'.

Yes. September 19th is International Talk Like a Pirate Day. Don your swashbuckles and help celebrate the day!

I checked with Stefan as he seemed to head up the festivities last year, and he is so busy with his paperwork, he gave me the links from last year, and said enjoy.
So I have started to collect Pirate information, links, recipes, and general good stuff!
Oh do add your plunder to the growing list.
The names we pick will not be able to be used instead of regular SST names, but just for the day we can type them in and call out to the mates.
Pirate Julia the Well-Tanned

Links:
http://www.gone-ta-pott.com/Oceansoffun_Pirates.html

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html

http://data.boomerang.nl/f/fake/audio/pirate-mix/piratemix.mp3
great song!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Talk_Like_a_Pirate_Day
You know Wikipedia, always more information than you can use!

http://www.tomsmithonline.com/lyrics/tlapd.htm
Fun lyrics about wanting to be a pirate!
“I could go on for a long time about this song, but I think we'll cut it down to one word.
Arrr.”

http://www.piratesofthecarobbean.com/talk-like-a-pirate-day/talk-like-a-pirate-day.html

http://drupal.org/project/pirate
On International Talk Like a Pirate Day (September 19th), this filter changes all appropriate English phrases and words into pirate-speak.

Last edited by Cinder on Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
USA weaponlordzero
Captain
Captain

Member#: 15677

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrrgh, sounds like a mighty fun deal arr. Me hearties shall enjoyeee it indeeeeed. ar. Very Happy
Commodore

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:59 pm   Post subject: Pirate names Reply with quote

Here are three sites with the real deal!

These men and women were real if you want a real name!

Julia the Well-Tanned

List of Pirates when they lived and they ethnic heritage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pirates

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_pirates

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_pirates

Last edited by Cinder on Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:41 pm   Post subject: most places check out Reply with quote

three more good sites.. thanks Alien_Avatar

http://www.froggynet.com/cgi-bin/pirate.cgi

http://www.talklikeapirateday.com/wordpress/

http://bestoflegends.org/pirates/index.html

Julia the Well-Tanned
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:09 pm   Post subject: Check this out! Reply with quote

This has some things to look for but not a true Pirate site.
http://www.getgreatcodes.com/

ok I am having too much fun!!!
arggghhhhhh
Julia The Well-Tanned

Last edited by Cinder on Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
USA unpoedic
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 3962

unpoedic is offline View user's profile Send private message View unpoedic's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

remind me to be out sick on that day. *pitiful at pirate-speak*
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's okay, unpoedic. I'm no good at pirate-speak either. (Though here I could joke about your nickname:) ) I say the two of us can just speak the King's English. If it was good enough for the Dread Pirate Roberts, it should work for us. So don't sweat it, enjoy the day, most likely kill you in the morning.
Oglala Istagi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 6652

Istagi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Istagi's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My Pirate Name is so Lame I am refusing to participate.

Peg Leg George Teach.

My real name is a better Pirate name that that.

Stupid pirate name generator.
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Istagi wrote:
My Pirate Name is so Lame I am refusing to participate.

Peg Leg George Teach.

My real name is a better Pirate name that that.

Stupid pirate name generator.

Aw come on... lets try a few other names. I just randome put in a few.. knowing a wee bit about you and got these.
Scribe Jack the Fearsome
Sam the Nimble
Boatman Domingo
Castaway Ivan
Francis Yellow Heart

and there is a list of others I posted here.. many fictional fellas!
Arrrrgh.... don't want ya left out

Julia the Well-Tanned

Last edited by Cinder on Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oglala Istagi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Istagi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Istagi's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Francis Yellow Heart has a good ring to it.
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I made up my own.

Scurvy Dog McCreedy

ya like?????
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Istagi wrote:
Ok I made up my own.

Scurvy Dog McCreedy

ya like?????

ARGHHH It fits the likes of ya for sure matey!!!

Julia the Well-Tanned!!

Last edited by Cinder on Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:04 am   Post subject: The Pirate Code Reply with quote

The Pirates' Code

Anyone who has watched Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean" knows all about the Pirate Code, laid down by the pirates Morgan and Bartholomew. I think the idea of a single code for pirate is probably the most modern piece of Pirate Mythtory to be featured on this site, and I don't think it extends back any further than the release of the excellent POTC.

Sir Henry Morgan

The first question is who was Bartholomew? Assuming "Morgan" to have been Sir Henry Morgan, "Bartholomew" was probably Bartolomeo Portugues, or "Bartholomew the Portuguese", a contemporary of Morgan who was plagued by bad luck.

Bartolomeo Portugues

The second question of course is "Did they write a code together?" The answer is no, they did not, but the era of buccaneering in the late 17th century did see the beginning of pirate codes. Pirate codes did exist, but there was no one single code which all pirates recognised and subscribed to.

In Morgan's time codes, or articles, were simple contracts setting out the compensation each buccaneer would receive for injuries, and the rewards each could expect for performing certain valiant actions. By the time of the Golden Age of piracy in the early 18th century these buccaneer codes of compensation had developed into ship-board articles, regulating the way crews were to operate and the way profit was to be divided. However, each pirate ship had their own set of articles, which only applied to that one particular crew - there was still no single set of rules which all pirates adhered to. We must think in terms of a pirate's code, not the pirate code.

From Alexander Exquemeling's "Buccaneers of America" we learn a little about the articles of Henry Morgan:

"Lastly they stipulate in writing what recompense or reward each one ought to have, that is either wounded or maimed in his body, suffering the loss of any limb, by that voyage. Thus they order for the loss of a right arm six hundred pieces of eight, or six slaves ; for the loss of a left arm five hundred pieces of eight, or five slaves ; for a right leg five hundred pieces of eight, or five slaves ; for the left leg four hundred pieces of eight, or four slaves ; for an eye one hundred pieces of eight, or one slave ; for a finger of the hand the same reward as for the eye. All which sums of money, as I have said before, are taken out of the capital sum"

At the time of the Golden Age of Piracy Johnson's General History gives us three set of articles from different ships, a comparison of these three entirely dispels the myth of a single pirate code:

The Articles of John Philips:
1. Every man shall obey civil Command; the Captain shall have one full share and a half in all Prizes; the Master, Carpenter, Boatswain and Gunner shall have one Share and quarter.

2. If any man shall offer to run away, or keep any Secret from the Company, he shall be marroon'd with one Bottle of Powder, one Bottle of Water, one small Arm and shot.

3. If any Many shall steel any Thing in the Company, or game, to the Value of a Piece of Eight, he shall be marroon'd or shot.
If at any Time we should meet another Marrooner (that is Pyrate) that Man that shall sign his Articles without the Consent of our Company, shall suffer such Punishment as the Captain and Company shall think fit.

4. That Man that shall strike another whilst these Articles are in force, shall receive Mose's Law (that is 40 stripes lacking one) on the bare Back.

5. That Man that shall snap his Arms, or smoak Tobacco in the Hold, without a cap to his Pipe, or carry a Candle lighted without a Lanthorn, shall suffer the same Punishment as in the former Article.

6. That Man that shall not keep his Arms clean, fit for an Engagement, or neglect his Business, shall be cut off from his Share, and suffer such other Punishment as the Captain and the Company shall think fit.

7. If any Man shall lose a Joint in time of an Engagement he shall have 400 pieces of Eight; if a limb 800.

8. If at any time you meet with a prudent Woman, that Man that offers to meddle with her, without her Consent, shall suffer present Death.

The Articles of Edward Low:
1. The Captain is to have two full Shares; the Master is to have one Share and one Half; The Doctor, Mate, Gunner and Boatswain, one Share and one Quarter.

2. He that shall be found guilty of taking up any Unlawfull Weapon on Board the Privateer or any other prize by us taken, so as to Strike or Abuse one another in any regard, shall suffer what Punishment the Captain and the Majoirty of the Company shall see fit.

3. He that shall be found Guilty of Cowardice in the time of Ingagements, shall suffer what Punishment the Captain and the Majority of the Company shall think fit.

4. If any Gold, Jewels, Silver, &c. be found on Board of any Prize or Prizes to the value of a Piece of Eight, & the finder do not deliver it to the Quarter Master in the space of 24 hours he shall suffer what Punishment the Captain and the Majority of the Company shall think fit.

5. He that is found Guilty of Gaming, or Defrauding one another to the value of a Ryal of Plate, shall suffer what Punishment the Captain and the Majority of the Company shall think fit.

6. He that shall have the Misfortune to loose a Limb in time of Engagement, shall have the Sum of Six hundred pieces of Eight, and remain aboard as long as he shall think fit.

7. Good Quarters to be given when Craved.

8. He that sees a Sail first, shall have the best Pistol or Small Arm aboard of her.

9. He that shall be guilty of Drunkenness in time of Engagement shall suffer what Punishment the Captain and Majority of the Company shall think fit.

10. No Snaping of Guns in the Hould.

The Articles of Bartholomew Roberts: (it is possible that an examination of these articles gave the Disney writers the idea for a code laid down by Morgan and Bartholomew, but Captain Roberts was not a contemporary of Morgan's)

I. Every man has a vote in affairs of moment; has equal title to the fresh provisions, or strong liquors, at any time seized, and may use them at pleasure, unless a scarcity (no uncommon thing among them) makes it necessary, for the good of all, to vote a retrenchment.

II. Every man to be called fairly in turn, by list, on board of prizes because, (over and above their proper share) they were on these occasions allowed a shift of clothes: but if they defrauded the company to the value of a dollar in plate, jewels, or money, marooning was their punishment. [this was a barbarous custom of putting the offender on shore, on some desolate or uninhabited cape or island, with a gun, a few shot, a bottle of water, and a bottle ofpowder, to subsist with or starve] If the robbery was only betwixt one another, they contented themeselves with slitting the ears and nose of him that was guilty, and set him on shore, not in an uninhabited place, but somewhere, where he was sure to encounter hardships.

III. No person to game at cards or dice for money.

IV. The lights and candles to be put out at eight o'clock at night: if any of the crew, after that hour still remained inclined for drinking, they were to do it on the open deck; [which Roberts believed would give a check to their debauches, for he was a sober man himself, but found at length , that all his endeavours to put an end to this debauch proved ineffectual.]

V. To keep their piece, pistols, and cutlass clean and fit for service. [In this they were extravagantly nice, endeavoring to outdo one another in the beauty and richness of their arms, giving sometimes at an auction (at the mast) thirty or forty pounds a pair for pistols. These were slung in time of service, with different coloured ribbands over their shoulders in a way particular to these fellows, in which they took great delight.

VI. No boy or woman to be allowed amongst them. If any man were to be found seducing any of the latter sex, and carried her to sea, disguised, he was to suffer death; [so that when any fell into their hands, as it chanced in the Onslow, they put a sentinen immediatelyover her to prevent ill consequences from so dangerous an instrument of division and quarrel; but then here lies the roguery; they contend who shall be sentinel, which happens generally to one of the greatest bullies, who, to secure the lady's virtue, will let none lie with her but himself.]

VII. To desert the ship or their quarters in battle, was punished with death or marooning.

VIII. No striking one another on board, but every man's quarrels to be ended on shore, at sword and pistol. [The quarter-master of the ship, when the parties will not come to any reconciliation, accompanies them on shore with what assistance he thinks proper, and turns the disputant back to back, at so many paces distance; at the word of command, they turn and fire immediately, (or else the piece is knocked out of their hands). If both miss, they come to their cutlasses, and then he is declaired the victor who draws the first blood.]

IX. No man to talk of breaking up their way of living, till each had shared one thousand pounds. If in order to this, any man should lose a limb, or become a cripple in their service, he was to have eighthundred dollars, out of the public stock, and for lesser hurts, proportionately.

X. The captain and quartermaster to recieve two shares of a prize: the master, boatswain, and gunner, one share and a half, and other officers one and quarter.

XI. The musicians to have rest on the Sabbath Day, but the other six days and nights, none without special favour.
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:06 am   Post subject: Pirate Life Reply with quote

Pirate Life

Thanks to the popular media we know a huge amount about the way pirates lived, or at least, we think we do. We know, for example that all pirates wore earrings, long coats made of fine damask and huge hats. We know who commanded ships, how they were run and what kind of ships pirates liked to sail or capture. But how much of what we "know" is actually fact?

Pirate Flags; The Jolly Roger is one of the most enduring pieces of pirate imagery, but some flags are not as authentic as many books and websites say they are. This page includes at least 40 flags or identifications which I believe are new to the internet, and is the largest collection of pirate flags in one place anywhere in the world.

Earrings; why did most pirates wear earrings? More importantly did most pirates wear earrings?

Pirate Ranks; The typical ranks aboard sailing ships, with particular reference to the Quartermaster.

The Pirates' Code; as laid down by the pirates Morgan and Bartholomew... and Disney.

Pirate Clothing; just how accurate is the pirate clothing, portrayed in popular media from Howard Pyle to Captain Jack Sparrow?

Pirate Language; aaargh, savvy?

Pirate Punishments; Walking the plank.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 18508

ARFD6 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View ARFD6's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

You realize that Sir Henry Morgan is actually in my family tree, right? I'm not kidding... Wierd no?

Anyhoo, I tried both Bill Morgan and William Morgan in the pirate name generators...

The froggynet one spit out:
William Morgan - Capn Red Beard (Can't use it, don't have a red beard)
Bill Morgan - Sir Black Leg (Can't use it, don't have a black leg.. Also, not a knight...)

The one Cinder used to get her well-tanned name is at http://gangstaname.com/pirate_name.php

That one gave me the following:
William Morgan - Gurglin Sid Cooke (Uhh, naah)
Bill Morgan - Capn Bobby Skullcrack (Yeah, alright I can do that... Smile )

What do you come up with?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: