StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Amazon's MP3 Store
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
How do the tracks from Amazon differ from those on iTunes? Are you looking for DRM-free mp3s?

Amazon is DRM free and compressed at 256. Definitely better than iTunes!
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Often cheaper too, from what I've seen.

jeff
sdg
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

j2brown wrote:

Many singles are 89-cents, some 99. I bought one and the sound is excellent.
You have to install Amazon's small program to d/l the music but it's free & quick. After that you can store, play, transfer the music where you want.
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Twopop wrote:
j2brown wrote:

Many singles are 89-cents, some 99. I bought one and the sound is excellent.
You have to install Amazon's small program to d/l the music but it's free & quick. After that you can store, play, transfer the music where you want.

If amazon markets this well and starts to add a substantial amount of music this could be major competition to iTunes very soon. Plus offering it DRM free and better audio quality will start to force other companies to offer the same or better which which will be great for the consumer.

This is really great news for legally downloadable music and another step towards CDs dying off (which I am not really a fan of because I like having the physical CD, but eventually downloadable music is going to take over). I think this is a pretty interesting subject, so it will be interesting to see the future of downloadable music.

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL... Here's Amazon's Top 25 downloaded MP3 soundtrack albums. A third are musicals and look at what's #12! rotfl

1. House M.D. (Original TV Soundtrack) … by Various Artists
2. Strange Weirdos: Music from/inspired by film Knocked Up … by Loudon Wainwright III
3. Phantom Of The Opera by Original London Cast
4. Passion by Peter Gabriel
5. Wicked by Various Artists
6. Medal of Honor: Airborne … by Michael Giacchino
7. A Boy Named Charlie Brown … by Vince Guaraldi Trio
8. Monty Python's Spamalot by Various Artists
9. Jesus Christ Superstar by André Previn
10. Apollo by Brian Eno
11. Pride and Prejudice by Jean-Yves Thibaudet
12. Buffy the Vampire Slayer… by Sarah Michelle Gellar
13. The Ultimate Rick Wakeman Experience… by Rick Wakeman
14. Run to Cadence with the US Army Infantry… by The Sun Harbor's Chorus…
15. Alexandre Desplat - J… by Alexandre Desplat
16. Godspell - 2001 Revival Cast… by Cast Soundtrack
17. Enterprise - Music fr… by Dennis McCarthy
18. Celtic Woman by Celtic Woman
19. Jesus Christ Supersta… by Various Artists
20. Les Misérables by Various Artists
21. Sorcerer by Tangerine Dream
22. Hello, Dolly! by Various Artists
23. Big River: The Adventures of H.Finn… by Various Artists
24. Graveyard Terror by Columbia River Group …
25. Zanna, Don't!: A Musical Fairytale… by Various
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Twopop wrote:
LOL... Here's Amazon's Top 25 downloaded MP3 soundtrack albums. A third are musicals and look at what's #12! rotfl

1. House M.D. (Original TV Soundtrack) … by Various Artists
2. Strange Weirdos: Music from/inspired by film Knocked Up … by Loudon Wainwright III
3. Phantom Of The Opera by Original London Cast
4. Passion by Peter Gabriel
5. Wicked by Various Artists
6. Medal of Honor: Airborne … by Michael Giacchino
7. A Boy Named Charlie Brown … by Vince Guaraldi Trio
8. Monty Python's Spamalot by Various Artists
9. Jesus Christ Superstar by André Previn
10. Apollo by Brian Eno
11. Pride and Prejudice by Jean-Yves Thibaudet
12. Buffy the Vampire Slayer… by Sarah Michelle Gellar
13. The Ultimate Rick Wakeman Experience… by Rick Wakeman
14. Run to Cadence with the US Army Infantry… by The Sun Harbor's Chorus…
15. Alexandre Desplat - J… by Alexandre Desplat
16. Godspell - 2001 Revival Cast… by Cast Soundtrack
17. Enterprise - Music fr… by Dennis McCarthy
18. Celtic Woman by Celtic Woman
19. Jesus Christ Supersta… by Various Artists
20. Les Misérables by Various Artists
21. Sorcerer by Tangerine Dream
22. Hello, Dolly! by Various Artists
23. Big River: The Adventures of H.Finn… by Various Artists
24. Graveyard Terror by Columbia River Group …
25. Zanna, Don't!: A Musical Fairytale… by Various

Two, that is some of the most disturbing information I have read in several years. This just proves they NEED more of a selection because people are downloading stuff they don't really want Wink.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate, would you want to split this thread, please?

It might be interesting to get input from people over the weeks to come on this new Amazon feature.
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Twopop wrote:
Nate, would you want to split this thread, please?

It might be interesting to get input from people over the weeks to come on this new Amazon feature.

There ya go Two. Split it at where I thought was the best to keep both threads relatively intact. I think it would definitely be good to hear what other people think about this new feature. I really hope it is successful and forces Apple and others to improve their product offerings and become more competitive with price!
USA tranzishun
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 2223

tranzishun is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View tranzishun's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's cool, however like Nate im more of a fan of owning the CD, DVD, etc. even though I listen to my digital collection way more than actually popping in the CD. I still like having the physical product. These days I use itunes mostly to download singles. I think CD is still a popular format and the price of CD's are down due to digital music and various competition from online companies/services. Face it there is a lot of competition these days! I was a little sad to see a store like Tower Records go. That was a store I actually enjoyed shopping in and as far as selection and knowlegable service goes it was unrivaled. Try going into Best Buy and ask an employee a classical music question. Amazon now on board with digital music I too hope that it helps make the standards higher. Digital technology these days I love it but I hope that the future of all released music doesn't become entirely digital. As far as Apple goes they are constantally improving and updating there products, heck they practically invented the digital music player.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I too like to own the CD, but I'm also on a very tight budget. Recently I've begun using iTunes for my occasional music purchase. Typically I can (and do) burn a CD (and even print out the insert) for less than the original CD cost. I'm sure that true music lovers will cry out about the quality of the outcome, but I typically listen to CDs in my car, and I doubt the Honda factory stereo quality will allow me to hear any difference.

I'm also very interested in the higher (variable) bitrate and lack of DRM from Amazon. I suspect that Apple will follow along if Amazon does well.

jeff
sdg
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't be participating in any of the download options as long as there is a tangible product available.

I'm glad to see Amazon raise the bar, but not until someone offers music files in Lossless format (.WMA, .FLAC, .APE, etc.) and high resolution cover art work (preferably what is used to print the actual CD inserts), will I be tempted to purchase it in lieu of having the product in hand.

I did consider it for a moment for the recent Hans Zimmer playlist requests where there is only one track of interest, but I still opted for the physical item.

To me, for now, downloading is only a good option for exclusive or out of print material.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
jbarta VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 10794

jbarta is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View jbarta's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

natedogg_23 wrote:

This is really great news for legally downloadable music and another step towards CDs dying off (which I am not really a fan of because I like having the physical CD, but eventually downloadable music is going to take over). I think this is a pretty interesting subject, so it will be interesting to see the future of downloadable music.

The reality of the CD going the way of the cassette tape kinda hit me the other day. I just bought a new car stereo that has a USB input on the front, and also has a connection/control to hook up an iPod. (I think I must be the only person I know who does NOT have an ipod) For me, this is cool because in a car, with all the road noise and stuff, you can't really appreciate the lossless quality of a good recording. And I can dump whatever I want onto a USB thumb drive, and listen, skip free, with the added flexibility of removing old tracks, adding new to the USB drive without having to burn another CD.
However, in the home, I still opt for the best quality recordings I can find, and look forward the the next audio recording medium standard, either SACD, DVD Audio, HDVinyl, or whatever it turns out to be. I think there is something about physically owning the album, and there will always be a market for album sales, it just may be smaller.

J.
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if there was a German Amazon MP3 store. For that matter, it would be nice if German iTunes actually had as much to offer as the US version. Rolling Eyes
Less Bushido and more soundtracks, please.
Nate once said that he has to pay only a little more for actual CDs. If it were only a one or two Euro difference, I might opt for the CD as well, but quite often they cost about twice as much as a legal download.
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

jbarta wrote:
(I think I must be the only person I know who does NOT have an ipod)

Nope. I don't have any portable music devices, actually, except for my notebook computer. If I had the $$ I'd probably buy a portable OGG player though.

jeff
sdg
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't take Apple long to up the ante:

AppleInsider wrote:
Apple on Wednesday issued a formal announcement regarding its expanded iTunes Plus service, which now offers more than two million tracks at the reduced price of just 99 cents.

All iTunes Plus tracks feature DRM-free music with high quality 256 kbps AAC encoding for audio quality which the company claims is "virtually indistinguishable from the original recordings."

jeff
sdg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: