StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

soundtrack re-recordings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 

how you feel about re-recordings of soundtracks?
I prefer original soundtracks including expanded and/or remastered edtions
53%
 53%  [ 8 ]
Doesn't bother me. I enjoy both original soundtracks and re-recordings equally
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
I like re-recordings better!
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
I'am a purist and will settle for nothing less than the original!
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

USA tranzishun
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 2223

tranzishun is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View tranzishun's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:28 pm   Post subject: soundtrack re-recordings Reply with quote

I was just curious as to how you all feel about re-recordings of soundtracks. I chatted a little about this with Andres. I have mixed feelings. I prefer the original music recorded for soundtracks which includes expanded editions and or remastered edtions. The re-recordings in my opinion don't quite capture the feeling of the original. even though they may technically have better sound quality in some instances there is just something missing that doesn't quite have the umph! so to speak. I do appreciate the effort put into re-rerecordings though. The Joel McNeely conducted music of Bernard Herrmann are of good quality and have a lot of music to offer especially the listener who may not be able to find an original recording (if there is one). how do you all feel?
Netherlands SiriusCreations VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 18704

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for: I prefer original soundtracks including expanded and/or remastered edtions
Sound_Track
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 14512

Sound_Track is offline View user's profile Send private message Sound_Track's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, I prefer the Original Recordings.

But, in the case of Bernard Herrmann, I must prefer his re-recordings, in reference to the Fantasy World of Bernard Herrmann, which covers nicely, selections from four Herrmann scored movies, including Journey To The Center of the Earth, Fahreneit 451, The Seveth Voyage of Sinbad, and The Day The Earth Stood Still.

I prefer the longer edits on that recording, verses the one and two minute edits commonly found on Deluxe Original recordings.

I certainly prefer Herrmann's re-recording to that of the Seattle Symphony's Fahrenheit 451. I am looking forward to a new re-reording of Fahrenheit 451 due out this Novemeber.
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound quality is important to me so I voted re-recording. Depends how bad the original sounds though.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA Andres
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 331

Andres is offline View user's profile Send private message View Andres's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to preface my comments by acknowledging that this issue is very much a matter of personal taste. Different people look for different things in music, and although I am passionate about what I look for, don't take my comments as meaning I think you ought to like the same things. Smile

I actually don't mind re-recordings as such, it's only that all the re-recorded full scores I've heard don't capture the style of the originals. In my case the interpretation of the music happens to be a big aspect of my enjoyment of the scores that I like, so it doesn't work for me when the performance is lackluster.

Some composers re-record their own work and produce very interesting and worthwhile results--not the same as what they did for the movie, but revealing and rewarding nonetheless. For instance Jerry Goldsmith's 'Frontiers' album has a later interpretation of 'The Monument' from Logan's Run, it's a different version but it's very well done, full of the same feeling as the original, but if anything grander and lonelier. I also like both the actual soundtrack of Jaws as more recently released, and the album version that's been around for ever (the actual soundtrack has a raw edgy quality that I prefer, but that might be because it still seems new to me.)

The problem for me with McNeely is that his versions of the music always sound like Muzac to me, the notes are played in a kind of even plodding way, and things like rhythmic changes, phrasing, dynamic changes and orchestral color are not only different but often lacking entirely. The recordings seem very bland to me.
Sound_Track
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 14512

Sound_Track is offline View user's profile Send private message Sound_Track's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Andres wrote:

The problem for me with McNeely is that his versions of the music always sound like Muzac to me, the notes are played in a kind of even plodding way, and things like rhythmic changes, phrasing, dynamic changes and orchestral color are not only different but often lacking entirely. The recordings seem very bland to me.

I know what you mean Andres!

You might want to check out the "The Bird" from MYSTERIOUS ISLAND. The re-recording done by William Stromberg, and produced by TRIBUTE FILM CLASSICS is pretty darn good, imo. The CD should be out very soon.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=191776318
Lieutenant

Member#: 2223

tranzishun is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View tranzishun's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some other re-recordings that come to mind now that Andres mentioned it like " The Last Of The Mohicans" or the John Barry re-recordings for "Somewhere in Time and "Out Of Africa". They all sound great but theres just something about an original recording that is more enjoyable for me. No matter how pristine a re-recording may sound something seems to get lost in the interpretation.

This is taken from a review i found about the Joel McKeely conducted Twilight Zone scores of Bernard Herrmann:

"McNeely’s interpretation is in the main very good, though there has been some criticism from various quarters more familiar with the original scores that McNeely tends to stretch out the music which results in a more drawn out, less emotional sound."

the rest of the review and another can be found here :

http://www.scorereviews.com/reviews/review.aspx?id=473

http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/27/twilightzone.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: