StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Repeat delay based on album rating?...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Should we adjust the 'No-repeat' period by rating?
Sure, great idea...
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
No, dumb idea...
70%
 70%  [ 19 ]
Good idea, but not worth the trouble...
18%
 18%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 27

USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:52 am   Post subject: Repeat delay based on album rating?... Reply with quote

Here's an idea I had recently... take it or leave it.

It seems there are two competing desires when it comes to less-well-liked scores on SST (Buffy, FZ, Creepshow, etc.): On the one hand, there is the desire to retain a complete library of soundtracks. On the other hand, there is the desire for a high-quality playlist that pleases as many as possible. I can't speak for JERIC and the admins, but I, for one, have trouble reconciling these two competing tendencies myself.

One of the problems with these less-liked albums is that, for whatever reason, they seem to be played more than they ought, given their low ratings. Rolling Eyes

Idea So, a workable compromise might be to adjust the 'No-repeat' time based on their rating. It could be as simple as: if an album's rating drops below, say, 2 stars, its no-repeat time will double, or triple, or whatever.

Knowing nothing about web programming, this might be difficult, or impossible... I don't know. But that aside, what do you think?

Mr. Green
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh.

That's actually not a bad idea. It should be implemented broadly, though. We don't want the highest-rated soundtracks to be played too often (one can get sick of Gladiator), and we wouldn't want to penalize soundtracks that simply haven't gotten enough votes.

Of course, I would welcome anything that quiets down the constant bitching and moaning about the Buffy soundtrack.
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are good points you raise, Lady, as usual...

I agree this shouldn't be taken too far, otherwise it would end up backfiring. Actually, it might be better handled on an individual basis, rather than some automatic programming.

In general, I'm advocating the idea of limiting the frequency of playing the lowest-rated tracks only.

Mr. Green
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's not such a great idea AND (probably) too troublesome to implement AND... it wouldn't help much anyway, I think.
Most people have certain tracks or albums they don't much care for, but sometimes that dislike has little or nothing to do with how many stars that album has got.
I believe it's pretty much impossible to keep everyone happy all the time, no matter what adjustments you make to the playlist.
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 11136

stefan_nl is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View stefan_nl's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:22 pm   Post subject: Don't punish the small group of fans Reply with quote

With making the delay longer for low rated albums you punish the listeners who like those albums (and those listeners exist, otherwise the album would probably not have been added).

Therefore I voted 'No'.
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Not likely to happen, Luther, due to the technical implementation involved. My suggestion: learn where your MUTE button is. Wink

jeff
sdg
Czech Republic Raygi
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 12138

Raygi is offline View user's profile Send private message View Raygi's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

And make SST more "top 40" station... No, thanks. Wink
I would rather vote for an increase of 'No-repeat' period. For all.
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Folks, maybe it's not such a great idea, but to be clear...

We're talking about changing the no-repeat period for only a VERY FEW albums... the lowest-of-the-lowly rated ones.

The idea was not so much to make listeners like me happy (I use the mute button liberally), but rather to give JERIC & Co. a manner to preserve the quality of the playlist without completely eliminating albums or tracks.

Anyway, it still might not be such a great idea, nor very easily implemented... so vote away!

Mr. Green
USA AK-Mal_Owner
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 4415

AK-Mal_Owner is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AK-Mal_Owner's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

my two centavos.... adjusted for inflation and currency conversions...

I voted no... a lot of what I do request, when I do, is that lower rated stuff. It's not because people don't like, it just simply hasn't gotten and ratings. Plus you would end up with a battle of what does "lower rated" mean? I shudder to think of the forums threads that would spawn (just look to the *coff* discussion on the SST sexy contest for example). This falls into that category of "well it sounded like a good idea on paper."

And LI - <smirk> some times it gets tossed into the queue just o annoy those that complain.. YOU LISTENING RHU? Yes, sometimes I'll add it just for you! Doubly so if I'm feeling a bit punchy somedays.
Besides, I'd rather see Mulon Rouge go first before Buffy.... at least the Buffy music was ORIGINAL.

-tg/akm
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you misunderstand me, AK-Mal. I like the Buffy soundtrack. But I try not to get involved in the fights over it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: