StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Save StreamingSoundtracks.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Yvond
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 39

Yvond is offline View user's profile Send private message Yvond's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:17 pm   Post subject: Save StreamingSoundtracks.com Reply with quote

JERIC,

This is a suggestion that I offered to Morglum the other day. This doesn't exactly fit here, but here it is anyway...

Have you considered trying to contact a major, or multiple major, news source(s) through the VOW (Voice of Webcasters) in order to run a story of epic proportions concerning our plight? I feel that the vast majority of Americans are not even aware of the issue, and without any public awareness or momentum, I am sure that the issue will be swept under the rug and we'll see the death of Internet Radio as we know it. However, if this story were to run on, say CNN, ABC, CBS, Washington Post, NY Post, etc., I'm sure that we would be able to stir quite a bit of public interest.

Seeing how Big Buisness is taking a hit and there is tremendous outrage against the telecom industry for all of the hoopla going on with their scandals, we might be able to use it to our advantage---in a big way. I think the average American is pretty fed up with the manipulation of the little guy so that CEO's can continue to bring in $250 million as they gut the company.

In addition, since Yahoo just admitted to trying to wipe out all competition in order to establish a monopoly in webcasting, can't we seek to bring about an anti-trust case against them? Last time I checked, monopolies were still illegal in the U.S. (although, try telling that to Microsoft...).

I'd be more than happy to help with the writing, if it ever came to that.

Yvond
Trilobyte
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 58

Trilobyte is offline View user's profile Send private message Trilobyte's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:56 pm   Post subject: Save StreamingSoundtracks.com Reply with quote

My thoughts on the mentioned ideas:

1. I have thought about that relocating SST solution too. That might work if you broadcast the streams from Windsor, Ontario, Canada and live in Detroit, USA. But since you don't it's not really going to work... Maybe (and I stress MAYBE) if you have a relative in Canada or Mexico...

2. An interesting solution, as bootlegs don't have valid copyrights. It would significantly reduce the playlist from its current size, but I really like this solution. It seems to me like the simplest solution, and everything about the Station can continue as normal.

3. I don't really understand this point. Can you please explain it a little more, JERIC?

4. Like the above, I am not sure what it means. It could be frustrating to play 20-minute songs, but it seems like an easy alternative.

5. A lot of listeners may be discouraged by this one. $20/month is probably still reasonable for some, but anything more would not work. $25-$30 a month would be almost equivalent of buying one soundtrack a month. Another thing to worry about is starting a vicious cycle: When some listeners drop out because they have to pay, the fees collected from the remaining users may not cover the costs. This would force an increase in fees for the following month, which results in even fewer listners, and so on. It may also be hard for SST to attract new customers because it will be difficult to offer competitive prices against big commercial broadcasters. The big companies have a lot more resources available which reduces costs for them. They might not offer as much quality music, but most internet users care more about cheap deals.

I think #2 is something worth further exploring, but first I would like to learn more about #3 and #4.

As for that legal topic Yvond raised: I am not saying it's impractical, but it could be difficult for individual webcasters to afford the legal fees, etc. And from what I know about American politics and government (Okay, not a lot), federal courts are not very likely to reverse the decision. I think it would be useful for StreamingSoundtracks to start preparing for the worst.
Lieutenant

Member#: 116

esparvel is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website esparvel's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:10 pm   Post subject: Save StreamingSoundtracks.com Reply with quote

CNN has already post the new on May 23rd but as it seems this is not a new involving millions of people and billions of $ it wouldn't attract them at all, unfortunately there's no dirt to dig in [Frown]
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/05/23/royalty.rates.idg/index.html
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:12 am   Post subject: Save StreamingSoundtracks.com Reply with quote

I am gathering ideas on how StreamingSoundtracks.com may be able to survive the royalty payments that are soon to be imposed. After enough data is collected, I plan to transform this into a Poll. Below is a list of things I thought of. Some of them may seem ludicrous but the saying is true "desperate times call for desperate measures".

1. Try to relocate StreamingSoundtracks.com off U.S. (difficult to implement).

2. Only play bootlegs?

3. Continuously loop a 65 minute Hans Zimmer remix song until things "get better".

4. Only play songs over 20 minutes long.

5. Pay-to-Listen subscription service. $20/month for 128k, $10/month for 24k (just a guess, not even sure THAT would cover the costs).

Your input is much appreciated!

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Keith Moore
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 55

Keith Moore is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Keith Moore's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 7:33 am   Post subject: Save StreamingSoundtracks.com Reply with quote

Newsweek also ran an editorial recently about the possible death of Internet radio, blasting the corporate mentality. I think the media is covering the topic, but not to the intensity we would like them to.

I'm at a loss for the next step. I've written my local congressmen and emailed local media about my concern here. I don't know who else I can bug.

I'm still looking. Any suggestions?

Keith
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 3:33 am   Post subject: Save StreamingSoundtracks.com Reply with quote

7. Insert audio advertisements.

Mr. B
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 134

Mr. B is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Mr. B's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:46 am   Post subject: Save StreamingSoundtracks.com Reply with quote

Perhaps you could have a free stream with ads and one without for a small fee.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 5

GoteeBoy is offline View user's profile Send private message GoteeBoy's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:25 am   Post subject: Save StreamingSoundtracks.com Reply with quote

USA TODAY ran a piece today, as well. It covered the fate of many small webcasters.
GoteeBoy
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 5

GoteeBoy is offline View user's profile Send private message GoteeBoy's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:26 am   Post subject: Save StreamingSoundtracks.com Reply with quote

J Eric,
Even if you were to charge users, wouldn't it still be based on IP address? If so, a lot of the faithful would likely be left out...those who pick the stream at work.
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:40 am   Post subject: Save StreamingSoundtracks.com Reply with quote

gOteeBoy, can you post a link to the article in the Save Internet Radio forum please?

I was thinking of charging $5 or so per month for access to both streams. I'm not sure yet on how to keep the streams secure from the public though. But you are right, if it were based on IP many people would be left out including people with dynamic IPs muliple PCs.

USA Trinity3777
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 124

Trinity3777 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Trinity3777's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 3:36 pm   Post subject: Save StreamingSoundtracks.com Reply with quote

I'd be willing to pay around $10-$15 a month; however, I think I would prefer radio advertisements as long we heard more music than advertising
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 41

Fanatic2k4 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Fanatic2k4's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:28 pm   Post subject: Save StreamingSoundtracks.com Reply with quote

I haven't been in the forums much lately, but hello again!

I would certainly pay $5 a month, but no more.
1) I'm lazy and probably would download each song seperately
2) I'm a high schooler, and don't make any money. The money I do make from parents, birthday, etc goes into the car.
3) I agree with everyone else, its impractical to pay $20 a month when you can buy a stinking CD for $16.. Not to mention it probably won't cover it all.

I like the idea about advertisments. I wouldn't mind listening to them now, if it would generate enough revenue to buy more CDs, etc! I even listen to the ads on my car radio! I find them interesting and funny sometimes. I could listen to 2 ads every 5-10 songs.

I say take a few polls, and see what the listening audience wants.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: