StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

The Return of the King - The Complete Recordings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Thorf
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 19022

Thorf is offline View user's profile Send private message Thorf's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question... The Return of the King Complete Recordings have now all played out, and it will be 4 or 5 days before we can hear any of it again. Also, since each track will become available according to the order it was requested in, the second run through will probably follow much the same order as the first.

Anyway, I keep thinking about the "No Repeats - 8 Days" link on the main menu, which gives the message: "To ensure variety, songs will not repeat within this time period. There are, however, a few exceptions. Recently added songs to the playlist are not subject to this policy, and Administrators may queue up any songs they wish."

Um, is this not enforced, then? Surely this album counts as "recently added"? Is there some licensing reason why each track can only be played once in 8 days?

Thanks!

Thorf (eager to hear all the tracks he missed the first time around)
France Alchemist VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thorf and welcome to the SST forum!

While there are indeed some legal rules SST has to comply to (as stated in the Request page), the "No Repeats" is not part of them (as far as I know Wink).

However, this topic has been discussed a lot, for example here. There are two issues: first, ensure enough variety in the playlist by finding the right balance between 'old' and 'new' additions and then of course the technical implementation which is not that easy.

Hope this helps! Smile
Cadet 1

Thorf is offline View user's profile Send private message Thorf's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, Alchemist. Interesting reading. It sounds as if the issue was effectively settled (although open for further changes) at 15 days wait, with 4 days for new releases, but then there were some problems with implementing it. And nothing has been posted there for a year, so it's probably safe to assume that the issue has still not been solved.

It looks as if someone jumped the gun a bit on the "No Repeats" text, then, because "Recently added songs to the playlist are not subject to this policy" is patently not the case at this time. Crying or Very sad

The end result is that we're just going to have to wait five days to hear this album again, is it not? Or is it permissible to petition admins to post certain songs?

Thanks for reading.

Thorf
USA workervr
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10921

workervr is offline View user's profile Send private message View workervr's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

worker is easily confused..i thought there was no exception d/t the laws? no same artists in que ..nor repeat of the track for 8 days? or has that changed in my absence? (in regard to mention of exceptions for recently added)

*worker bows down to the sst gods humble in her apologies for being so absent from the shrine of magnificent music*
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't violate the ARE-EYE-AYE-AYE rules without risk, but the self imposed ones can be bent in specific cases. I'm not saying they will be, but they're not set in stone at least.

The no repeats used to be different, but it was bumped to 8 to keep the same songs from playing on the same day of the week, for example.

jeff
sdg
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Implementing 15:4 repeats is something I still want to do but we've been extremely low on coding admin time lately.

The minimum 1 hour queue length with no artist/album repeats within it ensures our compliance. The no track repeats for XX days is something we decided to do and is based on the size of the library. Other 24seven.FM stations are a bit less.

Since a lot of people missed LOTR:ROTK (TCR) I have reset it. Enjoy!

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
France Alchemist VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thank you JERIC! Cool
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 6652

Istagi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Istagi's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:
Implementing 15:4 repeats is something I still want to do but we've been extremely low on coding admin time lately.

The minimum 1 hour queue length with no artist/album repeats within it ensures our compliance. The no track repeats for XX days is something we decided to do and is based on the size of the library. Other 24seven.FM stations are a bit less.

Since a lot of people missed LOTR:ROTK (TCR) I have reset it. Enjoy!

Thanks JERIC. I suggested this in the chat yesterday and I think it is a good move to make our new members happy.

I think that as soon as our new member signup returns to normal levels the standard 8 day lockout should be replaced.
Thorf
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeric, thank you kindly. Very Happy
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now that this is out, I remind you (as I have every year) to go to
http://lordoftherings-soundtrack.com/
to download your free annotated score pdf file. Pick up FOTR and TTT if you haven't already. These are gorgeous and informative, and, as I said before, FREE.

And holy frak, look! Napster has the complete ROTK score to stream for (US Residents only) FREE.
http://free.napster.com/view/album/index.html?id=12661578
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: