StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

New Top 100 Module: Least Recently Played

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Should SST maintain a list of least-recently-played tracks?
Cool idea
87%
 87%  [ 14 ]
Dumb idea
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 16

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:48 am   Post subject: New Top 100 Module: Least Recently Played Reply with quote

I frequently look at the Top 100 module, found in the site menu under "Station." I like tracking albums as they move up (or down) the most-frequently-requested lists.

I was wondering if there would be any interest in a list of the 100 least-recently-played tracks. I know, this would probably be 100 tracks that have never, ever, been played on SST. But I think this might be a cool thing to see, for a couple of reasons.

1) Some people seem to get a real charge out of requesting stuff that has never been played. Why not set up a list where many eligible tracks could be seen at once?

2) Some tracks just don't seem to get any attention, and maybe they should be removed from the playlist. Especially if they manage to go, I don't know, two years without ever being played. This sort of list would identify those tracks. Of course, if the reason #1 above is true, this data could get confused.

Of course, every time the playlist is updated, this list would probably include all the new stuff, which may be good or bad.

Whaddya think?
France masked_platypus VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 18358

masked_platypus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View masked_platypus's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a member of the all-tracks-should-be-requested club. So, guess my vote. Razz

In the same idea, I was wondering if this was possible that the "random request" could prefer non-played tracks?
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 18704

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool idea!
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an intriguing idea, Lady! While I think the outcome might end up being nuanced for all the reasons you suggest, it's not a bad idea to make the list available and see what becomes of it...

Mr. Green
Captain
Captain

Member#: 15677

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I wonder with the vast amount of never played tracks if there would ever be anything but zeros on the list... Nevertheless, I like the idea. It will promote more exposure to the playlist. Smile I vote yes.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5692

Albi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Albi's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted yes, sounds like a nice idea Smile

I think that the number of tracks that have not been played is currently ginormous and that could defeat the purpose of the proposed list. The subset of 100 tracks would have to be sorted by an additional criterion to make a certain track #1 (to prevent recently added albums to show up at the top this criterion could be the date on which the album of the track was added to the SST collection).
USA flansbmp
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 8346

flansbmp is offline View user's profile Send private message View flansbmp's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted absolutely yes. My Quest for NUTs would end up being significantly less alphabetical that way. It's been about two weeks of me playing nothing but unrequested tracks, and surprisingly there have been relatively few "duds" in the lot. For the most part it's music I have enjoyed and would like to hear again.

Nothing ventured... Very Happy
Netherlands SiriusCreations VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 18704

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks flansbmp for your comment and congratulations with your first post Smile
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Flansbmp - Loved your post. Excellent!

It's great to see a long-time member join in the forums.
Hope you do it more often. Very Happy
France masked_platypus VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 18358

masked_platypus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View masked_platypus's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, flansbmp, welcome in the all-tracks-should-be-requested club!!
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, I'm not the only completist out there. I rotate my music and my T-shirts, so everything gets some play. And I feel guilty when I haven't played/worn something in a long time, like I shouldn't own it. I don't know if every track in SST should get played. Maybe some nerd out there can tell us how long that would take.

Wait a minute. I'm a nerd.

Let's see. 55,935 songs in the playlist. 525,600 minutes in a year (thank you, RENT). Simple division gives us a maximum length of about 9 minutes per track. Since most are shorter, it would take considerably less than a year to play the entire playlist, though we must factor in extra time for the bumpers.
USA weaponlordzero
Captain
Captain

Member#: 15677

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

this ever happened to you? Razz

http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=94dd0271803c01d60112a0b90521f300
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 19134

JadedTitan is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View JadedTitan's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

rotation is great, but of course can't get everyone to join in. But i gladly do my part, when i can Smile i like the idea of having the random request button pick non played tracks...but not sure how that would work, but im sure someone does...?! Great idea though!
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 15230

Valfor is offline View user's profile Send private message Valfor's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Albi wrote:
I think that the number of tracks that have not been played is currently ginormous and that could defeat the purpose of the proposed list. The subset of 100 tracks would have to be sorted by an additional criterion to make a certain track #1 (to prevent recently added albums to show up at the top this criterion could be the date on which the album of the track was added to the SST collection).

I like that idea, so you can see if there are really tracks that are years on the list but where never played. That would be interesting to know. And it probably would get them played, because people would be interested. At least I would. *g*
And I would like the same for albums, but I don't hope that there are any albums that aren't played at all. Wink Those would have to be sorted by the number of tracks played, because the number of non-played tracks hinges on the number of tracks on the album, which could give a wrong impression. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: