StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What Elliot Goldenthal score would you recommend?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:16 am   Post subject: What Elliot Goldenthal score would you recommend? Reply with quote

I'm always looking to add new composers to my list of scores and I realised the other day that I don't have any Goldenthal scores yet. So which one would you start with if you had to recommend one of his scores? The ratings here on SST seem to suggest Michael Collins but there are also quite a few on a 4.5 star rating like Aien 3 and Final Fantasy.

What do you think?
France masked_platypus VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 18358

masked_platypus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View masked_platypus's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would recommend :

"Frida" marvellous score which is very different from what we can hear usually from him
"Alien 3", a must have, in my opinion
"Michael Collins", also a good choice.

That are the best three for me.
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a huge Goldenthal fan, but the ones I paid attention to (and more-or-less enjoyed) were:

- Titus
- The Butcher Boy

Please don't ask why I enjoyed them... I find it next to impossible to explain why I like or don't like any particular piece of music! Smile

Last edited by alien_avatar on Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Caliburn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Fantasy
Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

"Interview with the Vampire" hasn't been mentioned yet...
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5034

BhelPuri is offline View user's profile Send private message View BhelPuri's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go with... (in order)
Titus
Michael Collins (might be very pricey and OOP)
Interview with a Vampire
Australia Niall519
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 20859

Niall519 is offline View user's profile Send private message Niall519's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of the Heat soundtrack, which has bits of Goldenthals's score mixed in with stuff by all the other contributors, but for a straight out score my vote also rests with Frida.
a7e78
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 17624

a7e78 is offline View user's profile Send private message a7e78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i would have to say Batman Forever... excellent score to listen to if you liked the film... dark, comic, a little crazy and a nice recurring theme
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I like his work on Alien 3 and Interview with the Vampire. I have no real use for his Batman scores, but that may also be a function of the fact that I have almost no use for the films.

I think that if one were to buy only one Goldenthal score in one's lifetime, it would have to be Titus. Everything you could want from a Goldenthal score is there. Beauty, horror, craziness. High strings and low brass.
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your answers guys. A mixed bag! From what you have said I'm going to keep my eyes open for Titus, Final Fantasy and Michael Collins to start with. Titus I can get on iTunes in the UK but I'd rather a CD really. I'll go hunting and see what ones are available.
Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

mellowman wrote:
Titus I can get on iTunes in the UK

That made me check if I could get it on iTunes Germany as well... and I can!!! Laughing
That's great! You couldn't before!! And for just EUR 7.99!!!
Yay, some more money for me to spend... Rolling Eyes Wink
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 21170

orfeus is offline View user's profile Send private message orfeus's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely love the: DEMOLITION MAN

I think this with Interview with the V. are the best works of this great Composer
USA Furyen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 196

Furyen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Furyen's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Sphere to be one of his best (besides Alien 3) Though it is hard to have a fav with Goldenthal, I admire his work more than any composer.
Though I suppose after that first choice;

Cobb
In Dreams
Golden Gate
Titus.

Supposedly Goldenthal's been asked by Michael Mann to compose a score for Public Enemies. For a couple of months, I put it off as another rumor, and I still think it is. But IMDB just posted it not to long ago. All I can do is hope that this finally his comeback to film. (Across the Universe does NOT count, as some people would like to believe Mad )

UK thejoyrider
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8986

thejoyrider is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View thejoyrider's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd say final fantasy by far. the album itself has great consistency, developement and a good run of melodies.

sphere and swat are his next best but only by a few exceptional tracks.
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

So, huge thanks for all the continuing suggestions! I have finally bought Titus with some credit I had left over on iTunes (and by the way £7.99 for a 22 track album like this I think is pretty good value - despite the issue I have with iTunes UK).

Listened to it a couple of times and, boy, it is eclectic! The track that really pricked up my ears was Pickled Heads - what is THAT all about? Don't get me wrong, it sounds great - just - way out there!

The orchestral bits sound very smooth and the whole score seems rich in texture ad nuance to me.
Towards the end of the score I am really enjoying Mad Ole Titus, Philimelagram and Pressing Judgement. Of course, this is just a first reaction to it and I'll listen to it plenty over the next couple of months and then maybe think about my next Goldenthal!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: