StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

New Feature: Genre Search/Filter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:31 am   Post subject: New Feature: Genre Search/Filter Reply with quote

First, thanks to Pesadelo for implementing this!

You should notice a new option in the drop down search in Playlist/Requests.

By selecting Genre you now have the ability to:
- Free search for genres.
- Filter the browse functions.
- Filter the suggest a random track function.
- Displays total albums and songs in filter.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.

Last edited by JERIC on Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
UK SaticICE
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 17859

SaticICE is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website SaticICE's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeric & Pesadelo - thank you!

This is a fantastic new feature!
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks for your effort!

(5 mins later)
Am I blind? I went to the Request page to have a nice long look at it and I don't see it... Rolling Eyes
Captain
Captain

Member#: 15677

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff!! I was wondering how long before SST got this function Very Happy
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what I think about this function. Clearly some people are excited about it, and plan to use it. At first I was confused, because I didn't know what was meant by "genre." Like the genres of movies, perhaps? When none of those words turned anything up, I started searching for vowels and only then discovered that the genres in question were things like "Anime" "Soundtracks" and "Game." I'm just not sure how useful those distinctions are, though clearly people here are happy about this feature and plan to use it. For me, I don't think it will enhance (or degrade) my SST experience.
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

alien_avatar wrote:
Am I blind? I went to the Request page to have a nice long look at it and I don't see it... Rolling Eyes

Click on Playlist/Requests then next to the search option click the drop down arrow and it is the third option down.

I like this feature - particularly for those people who either want to a) discover more about a certain genre of music or who composers in those particular genres or b) for those who already love anime music, for example, and want to find more.

I also think it would be dead useful if you want to know, for example, what music Michael Giacchino has written for games. But I couldn't seem to get it to work in that way. Have I missed something? Or if not is it possible to get the genre to appear if you search for a certain artist?
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fantastic new option! Thanks, Pesa!

SST is one of the few soundtrack radio stations offering such a long list of anime and game soundtracks, and certainly the only one where fans can actually request them.
It's also neat for those of us who want to check out those genres. Up till now it's been potluck trying to find them. This makes it so much easier.

Here are the Genre categories I found for SST:

Soundtrack
Anime
Game

Patriotic
Folk
Classical
New Age
Electronic
Easy Listening
Hindi Pop

Obviously some of these have only a few albums in them, so I will probably switch them over into a more general category.

Classical genre may stay. Although 500+ classical tracks have been transferred from SST to AFM (some still pending), a few will remain.

Have fun browsing. Smile
BhelPuri
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5034

BhelPuri is offline View user's profile Send private message View BhelPuri's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

While this is certainly a good feature (thanks Pesa) I think it would be of more help if we could have more genres or tags like horror, comedy, drama, foreign, action...
But that requires some sort of editing/updating each album and could be done by the group (like how we did the album covers in the past).
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Know what would be blindingly awesome but the dickens to implement? Tags. If SSTers could create tags and slap them on soundtracks, and then one could explore all sorts of connections, and a soundtrack would not be limited to one genre. Genres, for the most part, are not helpful. Certainly not if all the CD belongs to is "Soundtracks." I mean, yes, well, duh!

Now tags, and meta-filtering would be neat. Superman (what's playing right now) would be a soundtrack, yes, but could also be super-hero (along with Batman and Spider-man scores), comic books (Road to Perdition, History of Violence), 1980s (Star Wars), epic (Lord of the Rings), what have you. You could look a the tags and say, "Hey, what other scores have what I'm listening to right now in this score?" And the click and request.

Yes, there would be niggling over what tags to use for what album, and it could make a glorious mess in the end, but I think the idea, in theory anyway, could be swell.
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your initial assessment was right, Lady. Very cool idea, very hard to implement. I doubt it'll ever happen, but the idea is one to keep in mind as improvements are made.

jeff
sdg
USA Ceidon
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 18050

Ceidon is offline View user's profile Send private message View Ceidon's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

cool deal!!! Cool thanks pesa! Smile

(oops, wrong button)
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque, that is a really cool idea. I will keep that in mind for future features.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't BhelPuri suggest something along those lines as a rather convincing April Fool's joke? Laughing

Mr. Green
Ensign
Ensign

aw

Member#: 19233

Sir_Rideout is offline View user's profile Send private message View Sir_Rideout's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already made use of this cool feature, and think it'll promote a greater variety of tracks in the queue. However, without having a list of the available genres which currently compose the playlist I'm finding it difficult to pick a random genre and explore. How difficult would it be to implement the 'genre' field as a drop down menu, rather than one a listener must type the entire text for themself?

"... there is no honor in the victory where there is no danger in the way to it;...." - Seneca the Younger,
Brazil Pesadelo VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 19747

Pesadelo is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Pesadelo's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Sir, try to do the search by genre using a single '%' (without the quotes).

Razz Sometimes I put undocumented features, basicaly because I forget to tell people about them.

*ready to be kidded*
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: