StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

There Can Be Only One!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Furyen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 196

Furyen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Furyen's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:28 am   Post subject: There Can Be Only One! Reply with quote

Everyone has a favorite composer. Even if they don’t know it.

I have a game I'd like to share with you all. It's called "There Can Be Only One". This game will decide who, out of all the glories music he or she has written, will be your favorite. You will pick ten composers along with all of their compositions (minus anything not written for the Screen)
and rate each soundtrack from one to ten. After you are done, you will tally up the composers score

(Example)

John Barry:

Dances with wolves- 9
Moonraker- 7
Out of Africa- 7
The Living Daylights- 8
etc.....

Average up each composers tally: 7.7

Compare each composers average:

John Barry- 7.7
Elliot Goldenthal- 8.9
John Williams- 9.0

List the order of the ten composers in which you thought would be your ten favorite.
Then List composers in order of average, and you'll find your actual favorite composers.

Example of how to list on forum: (These figures are examples as well.)

John Williams- 9.0
Elliot Goldenthal- 8.9
Jerry Goldsmith- 8.2
etc.....

(Use Excel if you need help with your averaging.)
Although you will be listing ten composers, your main goal is to find and list the top one.
***Don’t list the composer's soundtrack averages on the forum, just the composer average. Do the rest off hand.***

After two months, I'll average out everyone’s favorite composers, and then I'll post "The One"

Try to have fun doing it!!

Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can tell you for sure which composer will be on my 1st Place: Goldsmith FTW! Cool
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

bpewien wrote:
Well, I can tell you for sure which composer will be on my 1st Place: Goldsmith FTW! Cool

Laughing Yeah, I reckon I'll be the same although this will depend on how many scores you have to avergae out. For example, I have loads of Goldsmith scores but Extreme Prejudice won't score very high and thus reduce the average. For George Fenton, on the other hand, I only have Planet Earth and I'd score that a whacking 10. So, based on averages, Fenton would probably beat Goldsmith hands down!

Having said that I like stuff like this so I'll do it and maybe think of some way around the Fenton problem - maybe I'll buy another one of his scores!
France masked_platypus VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 18358

masked_platypus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View masked_platypus's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one? Morricone!

Why rating? Laughing
Captain

Member#: 15677

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own enough soundtracks to participate LOL. I usually use SST for my fix Wink
Captain

aw

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

weaponlordzero wrote:
I don't own enough soundtracks to participate LOL. I usually use SST for my fix Wink
Addiction is a problem, you know that Razz
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 18704

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

bpewien wrote:
Addiction is a problem, you know that Razz

What are there addicts here on SST ?????? Rolling Eyes

Sorry this is off topic I think.

Going to make a list.....
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Bateman once said, "I don't like singers." He was lying, but I get the point. I don't like singers either. Nor do I like actors (except for Michael Gough, who can do no wrong by me, and maybe Nestor Carbonell).

I don't think this would work for me because I don't like composers. I like scores, sure, but my brain doesn't think in terms of composers, it thinks of movies. Anyone else like that?
ArchitRen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 18166

ArchitRen is offline View user's profile Send private message View ArchitRen's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with LadyInque. I am a highly visually oriented girl and typically remember a movie far more than the score. I have noticed at times when a bad movie has good music, but it has a way of tainting the rating of the score for me. A composer's work is greatly improved by a great movie. The best ex: Gladiator - think about it, if the same music was played over say, "The Last Legion" - possibly one of the worst movies ever put to film - would the score still be so profoundly moving?
And while I can be more impartial when it comes to the scores of movies I have not seen, it is impossible to "unwatch" a movie. Trust me, I wish it was otherwise.
Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

mellowman wrote:
bpewien wrote:

Laughing Yeah, I reckon I'll be the same although this will depend on how many scores you have to avergae out.
Speaking of which: It's today 4 years now that Jerry Goldsmith passed away! Crying or Very sad
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

bpewien wrote:
mellowman wrote:
bpewien wrote:

Laughing Yeah, I reckon I'll be the same although this will depend on how many scores you have to avergae out.
Speaking of which: It's today 4 years now that Jerry Goldsmith passed away! Crying or Very sad

That's sad - I had forgotten. But what an incredible legacy he left behind. I have to say that I have found it hard to love another composer's music in the same way that I love Goldsmith's scores. For many years I only really collected his soundtracks interspersed with the odd Horner, Williams, Silvestri and occasional other. These days I am trying to broaden my horizons to a much greater extent but I haven't found anyone that quite does it for me the way Goldsmith's music does.

Anyway, back on topic!

Anyway, back on topic!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: