StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Govt. $40 Coupons for Digital TV Converter Boxes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Sound_Track
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 14512

Sound_Track is offline View user's profile Send private message Sound_Track's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:49 pm   Post subject: Govt. $40 Coupons for Digital TV Converter Boxes Reply with quote

IF YOU HAVE AN ANALOG TV SET OR VCR . . . .

https://www.dtv2009.gov/Default.aspx

You can find out about the $40 Coupon Program from the Govt. and register to be sent up to 2 $40 Coupons for Digital TV Converter Boxes.

Once you've registered for the Coupons, they will be sent to you when the boxes begin being available in late Feb. or early March 2008. Then you must redeem the coupons at a Retailer within 90 Days.

With the converter boxes, you can receive Over-The-Air Digital TV transmissions. And so can your analog VCR, but you'll need a box for it also.

The neat thing about Digital over-the-air TV, is that there are other side channels available. But you have to have the converter box to see the channels over the air.

The site has a FAQ section. Maybe that will answer any questions you have....

I received my Digital TV Converter Box $40 "Coupons", which are actually credit card shaped plastic cards this week (April 7th).

They are valid through June 24th, a little less than 90 days from now.

The letter than comes with the cards lists 4 chains and 8 specific locations closest to me.

A complete list of participating retailers for coupon redemption is available at www.DTV2009.gov

3 Radioshack

1 Circuit City

2 Best Buy

2 Wal-Mart

The there's a separate page that lists Brands and Model numbers.

For the most recent list go to www.NTIADTV.gov/cecb_list.cfm

I viewed 3 boxes, at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Radio Shack. The RCA Box at Wal-Mart retails for $49.

And the Zenith Box at Circuit City and the Insigina Box at Best Buy, and the Digital Stream Box at Radio Shack all retail for $59.

All come with remotes, which can be programmed to turn your TV set On and Off.

The DTV box can be programmed to not show certain channels, or your favorite channels.

You can select the picture for Standard TV or Widescreen.

Each box has a Standard Cable In and Out port.

Also each box has an RCA Output (Left, Right, and Video).

The RCA box at Wal Mart also a "Smart Cable" port.

I do not know what the Standard Warranty is, but the stores will Gladly sell you a "Repair Policy"...

All this is to watch the various "Digital" Channels on "Over-the-Air" transmissions.

You can use any Standard TV Antenna with the DTV Converter Box.

Some, but not all DVT Boxes are also capable of passing through analog TV signal to the TV set.

The DTV Box --IS NOT-- an HDTV Convertor. To View TV Programs in HD, you need an HD Converter AND an HD TV, or an HDTV with a built in converter.

Last edited by Sound_Track on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope everybody enjoys the converter boxes that I (and every other taxpayer) helped subsidize. I think I'll just let my TV go dark next February and at least save myself the cost of my own box. I'll still have to pay for everybody else though.

jeff
sdg
USA AK-Mal_Owner
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 4415

AK-Mal_Owner is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AK-Mal_Owner's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The DTV Box --IS NOT-- an HDTV Convertor. To View TV Programs in HD, you need an HD Converter AND an HD TV, or an HDTV with a built in converter.

*snicker* .... I can see it now, the mountain of boxes on top of my TV... the DTV, HDTV, DVR, DVD, ....

YEah, I'm not planning on geting as DTV converter... don't really see the need.

-tg/akm
Caliburn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Boxes is not the problem. Remotes are.
Harmony is your friend :-)
Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

In Berlin they forced these boxes on us "for our own good" or something. Rolling Eyes

Advantages:
- a couple of more (cr@ppy) channels and a better picture

Disadvantages:
- one more box on top (under, to the side) of your TV... and another one in case you want to record something
- sometimes the wonderful digital picture just freezes

Conclusion/Recommendation:
- Unless they're discontinuing the analog broadcast signal in your area (like they did here Evil or Very Mad) don't bother getting the thing. It's just not worth it. Especially if you have cable or satellite TV.
- Wait until the time when you want/need to buy a new TV. The newer models (at least the ones that are sold in Germany) have an in-built receiver.

:::IMPORTANT!!!:::
If you do decide to buy a receiver, don't go for the cheapest model you can find. Nothing but trouble down that road. (Experience talking, btw. Neutral)
Captain
Captain

Member#: 15677

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

They will be discontinuing the analog broadcast in the USA.
Lieutenant

Sound_Track is offline View user's profile Send private message Sound_Track's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

When your over the air TV goes static in Feb. of next year, because you do not have a Digital Converter Box, then that will just give you more time to listen SST ! ! !
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the red converter box coupon card in the mail and it expires so quickly - I only have about 2 months to use it or lose it.

It might be better to wait until late summer before requesting the coupon so there are more converter models available at the stores.
Sound_Track
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I opted to but hte Zenith Converter Box at Circuit City for $59 minues the $40 Coupon.

I like the way the Zenith box works. It delivers a great digital picture, with the amplified indoor Philips Antenna MANT510, which I also picked up at Circuit City.

There are actually many DTV Digital Converter boxes out there. But, the major chains have chosen to offer one or two models, and that's it.

I'm happy to have the box now, and to enjoy that secondary digital channels, and what they offer.... weather, and even a 24 hour DFW Airport Tower Cam view.

ION has The Worship Network on a sub-channel.

Free TV has NEVER looked so good.
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a handy video tutorial to help you with the upcoming digital conversion: Wink

http://tinyurl.com/6zk8p6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: