StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Crossfader

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Wolf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 16

Wolf is offline View user's profile Send private message Wolf's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 2:22 am   Post subject: Crossfader Reply with quote

I really think the Crossfader should be taken off. Soundtracks of films are not supposed to mix with each other, usually, and it is extremely irritating to lose one of your request at least half of the time due to this stupid Crossfader.
Please Jeric! Get rid of it!
I still think your website far out matches any other copycats.
Regards,
Wolf
Lieutenant Commander

Wolf is offline View user's profile Send private message Wolf's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 2:07 am   Post subject: Crossfader Reply with quote

You should try the Gapless plugin for Winamp.
You can fid it on the Winamp website.
Regards,
Wolf
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 29

SlowMo is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail SlowMo's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 2:30 am   Post subject: Crossfader Reply with quote

I have to agree, I hate it when that CrossFader steps in and throws away my precious request. I have some doubts about the way it works. And I agree completely with Wolf here, ie. that movie soundtracks shouldn't mix together.

But to keep things constructive, can't you track what the CrossFader skips, and automatically add it to the end of the queue again?
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 14

gecko is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website gecko's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 11:38 pm   Post subject: Crossfader Reply with quote

I don't really mind the mixing of soundtracks, they're right next to each other anyway and you still get varying styles.. I like how it fades out as opposed to some songs just abruptly stopping. There's gotta be a better thing than what you're using somehow, that doesn't skip songs. I don't understand why it skips them in the firstplace. Oh well... my two cents.
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 6:06 am   Post subject: Crossfader Reply with quote

Pros:
1. Song Transitions are smooth. It removes the "tick" sounds between songs.
2. Removes silence/gaps between songs.
3. If people rip the stream, the are in essence ripping the bitcast, not the song. An added measure to protect SS.
4. The overlap is only 2-3 seconds which doesn't interfere that much. It's not like a Club/House/Trance crossfade for 30 seconds.

Cons:
1. Skips approximately 10% of songs.
2. Don't know which song it will skip until it happens.

Measures:
1. Added 1 more requestable song than I normally would to compensate for this. Example: 2 songs without crossfader, or 3 with.
2. Tried other gap killers and crossfaders. The are gauranteed to skip every other song (50% instead of 10%).
3. Version 2.0 of SAM is coming out soon. That is the software used to take requests. It may fix this bug. Because I think the bug is actually a conflict between SAM and SQR.

I think this is a minor issue. Some more input for now would be nice until I decide what to do about this.

Thanks Guys

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA T2
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 31
Location: Virginia - Some say a state of mind, not me mind you. ;)

T2 is offline View user's profile Send private message T2's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 3:16 am   Post subject: Crossfader Reply with quote

yeah... but when you request the same song three times in three hours because it got skipped last time.... its more than crossfader.. is a conspiracy

just call me .... er nevermind, don't... I'll duck either way

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 3:16 am   Post subject: Crossfader Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by T2:
[Big Grin]

yeah... but when you request the same song three times in three hours because it got skipped last time.... its more than crossfader.. is a conspiracy

'Sons of Scotland' I assume? [Big Grin]
USA jk2silly VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

Member#: 30

jk2silly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View jk2silly's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 4:10 am   Post subject: Crossfader Reply with quote

I have Mixed feelings about the crossfader. I dislike when it skips songs (I have never tried to clock it so I am not sure about the 10%) however I also agree that there has to be something. Tracking the songs that are "skipped" and requeueing them would be damned near impossible. As far as the software goes it says it played the song. I know, however, that Jeric put a lot of research into the selection of the software for this site (Remember that he is a listener too) and that if he saysthis is the most stable then I am inclined to believe him. I am willing to wait and see how the Crossfader works with the new version of SAM. If it is better then problem solved. anything else and I think that the situation should be reconsidered at that time. If the fix is in the offing then there is no sense in trying to get our poor Jeric to redesign the site. Anyway, those are my thoughts for this day.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 8

solkef is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail solkef's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 11:00 am   Post subject: Crossfader Reply with quote

Hum........ in my humble point of vue : KILL THE CROSFADER! I know you'r argument jeric, but let's face it. it make people sad... you dont want to se people sad dont you? So? I dont mind hearing a little "Tik" betwen my songs if I can have the one I picked....

Guy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 12:19 am   Post subject: Crossfader Reply with quote

I had no problems with the crossfader. But today it skipped a song I like very much. It is pretty annoying to wait for 99 songs to here it again.

I think 'killing' is a big word. But I heard more negative things about it in the chat than positive things. I hope you find a solution Jeric.
GoteeBoy
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 5

GoteeBoy is offline View user's profile Send private message GoteeBoy's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 5:08 am   Post subject: Crossfader Reply with quote

I'm NO mathematics major, but if I listen for an average of two hours a day and two of my requests get skipped, isn't that MORE than 10%? I guess it wouldn't be so bad if I could simply request the song again, or if the unplayed track didn't count against me in the queue time/quantity limit.
Glass
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 3

Glass is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Glass's Favorites are Private
AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:01 am   Post subject: Crossfader Reply with quote

Hmm, guess that depends on how many songs you heard. 6 minute average song for 2 hours = 20 songs, 2 skipped would be 10%.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 6:12 am   Post subject: Crossfader Reply with quote

Well it looks like it is removed. Anyways it didn't skip any songs today [Smile]
Wolf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:52 am   Post subject: Crossfader Reply with quote

HURRAY!!!!!
The much dreaded crossfader has been taken off. I have not seen one song skipped in the whole day.
Thanks Jeric!
Regards,
Wolf [Wink]
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: